Middle School Photo

The paladins all watched as Lance entered the room and took a seat at the end. "Nice of you to finally join us." Keith teased.

"Oh can it mullet." Lance helped himself to some pancakes. "I slept in a little late is all."

"A little?" Keith rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, did you sleep in to 6 instead of getting up at 5 again." Hunk teased.

"Lance get up at 5? As if." Pidge chuckled.

"What are you guys talking about? Lance gets up at five just about every morning and gets ready." Hunk said as if everyone had known.

"Hunk," Lance tensed.

"Wait, you guys really don't know?" Hunk looked at them befuddled. "Don't tell me you guys have never seen Lance before his morning routine."

They all looked to each other curiously. "Why? What's up with Lance?" Shiro finally prodded.

"Hunk, I really don't think they're interested in-" Lance attempted to kill the conversation.

"Don't be crazy, of course we wanna hear!" Keith smiled suddenly more chipper.

"Lance is like, a huge nerd." Hunk finally let the cat out of the bag.

Lance looked at his pancakes as giggles ensued.

"Hunk, we already knew that." Keith teased, but when he looked, Lance wasn't laughing.

"Maybe this is a topic for another day." Lance stood up from the table and smiled, he acted much like his normal self. "I think I left my phone in my room." He then left quickly.

"Hunk, what makes you say Lance is a nerd?" Allura laughed.

"Well, it would make more sense if I showed you." Hunk pulled out his phone and began to scroll. "Here's Lance's middle school picture."

He held it up for everyone to see.

"Oh. My. Gosh." Allura and everyone else broke into laughter. Keith carefully took Hunks phone and inspected it closer. He wasn't laughing, nor was he frowning per say, but he couldn't help but stare at the photo. Curly hair, short on the sides but long on top, he had braces at the time, and large thick framed box shaped glasses. Freckles covered his cheekbones and spread across the bridge of his nose. There were a couple spots of acne and Lance is smiling a nervous awkward smile that's actually drop dead adorable.

"But... how?" Keith's voice an echo as he was unable to tear his gaze from the phone.

"Every morning, Lance gets up, showers, straightens his hair, puts in contacts, does his skin routine, and puts on makeup. It can take like hours." Hunk explained.

"He does that every morning?!" Pidge nearly choked on her bite of pancake.

"Yeah," Hunk nodded sliding his phone back into his pocket.

"Why?" Keith grimaced.

"Lance would probably hate that I'm saying this, but he was bullied mercilessly for years. School was miserable for him. He had all kinds of self confidence problems. He's convinced that he has to do all that stuff in the morning and look a certain way. I don't blame him for feeling that way, he went through a lot." Hunk shook his head. "So you should probably refrain from teasing him."

Keith felt a surge of guilt rush through him. They were supposed to be teammates, they should be as close as family. Since when was Lance not comfortable talking to them? Not comfortable showing his true colors?

It was then that Lance walked back into the dining area looking like his usual self. But this time Keith really looked at him. He could see the slight difference in texture on his cheeks from the makeup, or the ring around his bright blue irises from the contacts, or even a small wavy strand of hair on the back of his head that he missed.