4- MR.BATMAN

Wayne manor was particularly quiet this afternoon, not a peep could be heard from the many halls and rooms, Bruce liked it that way. He walked down the hallway tiredly, desperately wanting to get to his bed. His mind was preoccupied with the idea of sleep, relaxing, and stress-free sleep.

God why did these meetings go for so long? Bruce whined internally. After five hours of babysitting the senator of New Jersey last night and today, he really couldn't take it anymore. Ass kissing, pleasantries, business deals, and fake smiles were how the billionaire of Gotham spent his days. Or as Bruce liked to call it: "wasting time with the old geezers."

By 6:00 Am Bruce would be up, ready for whatever boring board meeting he had scheduled, after three hours of exchanging stock sales and overseas interest the meetings would end but Bruce would endure more strenuous hours of work, only to go home at a crazy time like 10:00 PM, 8:00 PM if it was a good day.

Bruce swung the door of his room open, he slipped off his shoes and practically threw himself into bed. He covered himself with his sheets and blankets, not caring he was still in his suit.

Thank God! He breathed with relief, Finally, some actual sleep. He rested his head on the pillows, allowing his well-deserved relaxation. His stress began to melt away, drowsiness taking over partially. It seemed he was about to go to sleep but unfortunately fate had other plans, plans that took the form of a British butler.

Alfred walked into the room only twenty minutes after Bruce laid his head on the pillow. Despite Bruce's closed eyes, he could feel the presence of his butler in the room. Alfred knew Bruce liked taking naps after work, so he did his best not to disturb him. Bruce knew Alfred had something to tell him and if it wasn't that dinner was cooked, he didn't care. Bruce's mind was filled with dread, praying that he hadn't forgotten to do a task today. If I have to attend another meeting, so help me god!

Alfred stood silently for a couple of minutes, watching his master. He knew Bruce wouldn't be too pleased, he had barely stepped foot in Wayne manor and now Alfred was going to press him about even more important matters.

Oh, Bruce will kill me, won't he? Alfred chuckled. Alfred walked to his bed, sitting on the edge.

"Master Wayne please wake up!" Alfred said shaking Bruce's shoulder's lightly, he was in dire need to tell him the news, new that could not wait. Bruce on the other hand was not very fond of waking up just on the cusp of sleep. His body lay limp in bed, eyes shut, pretending to be sleep. He thought maybe is he lay still enough Alfred would buy into his ruse and leave.

Alfred sighed loudly, smiling a little. "You've trained in the mountains of Tibet, every sense of yours is heightened so I know you can hear me Bruce."

ugh, how does he still remember? Bruce rolled around his blankets, not caring whether Alfred thought he was asleep or not. He shifted around, pulling the blankets over his head.

"Good to see you're awake then Bruce." Alfred smiled, seeing Bruce stir from the blankets. Bruce frowned sourly. I hate my life.

"Good to see you too Alfred." He said rather passively-aggressively. Alfred chuckled completely used to Bruce's tantrums by now.

"Bruce, it passed three, I believe that you should be getting up by now." Bruce rolled his eyes at the statement. Of course, it was past 3:00 PM, after all, he had just spent all morning and afternoon playing the intolerant game of "life as a billionaire."

"I've got no meetings or social activities to attend today Alfred, just let me sleep." Bruce groaned, unaware of the other activities that he needed to attend to.

"While that is true, your other persona has business they need to attend to." Alfred countered. Bruce blinked, rather serious but still annoyed. While he found a slight nuisance in the constant criminal behaviors and callous hobbies of the scum of Gotham, he carried a level of seriousness when it came to being the Dark knight. The people of Gotham needed a savior, Bruce knew that all too well. They needed a savior from the corrupt police officers, raging drug lords, and normalized violence. And even though Bruce found his second job annoying sometimes, it was better than his mundane office job which he despised, being filthy rich wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Deep down Bruce loved being the Batman, he loved the adrenaline rush that came with being a vigilante, he loved the night for it was often plunged into a world of darkness and secrecy. A world where he controlled and did things his way.

"Batman." Bruce said in a monotone voice.

"Yes master Bruce, it seems criminals were lurking about last night while you were wining and dining the senator," Alfred confirmed.

Criminals huh? Bruce thought. It wouldn't take long for him to find them, level one crooks he could deal with quickly and easily.

"Criminals are always up to something, let them get a head start. I'll catch them eventually." Bruce said yawing, he snuggled up in his bed. They'll be in the Gotham's jail by tomorrow, why worry about it?

"And are you planning on catching the Joker then?" Alfred asked abruptly. Upon hearing the mad clown's name Bruce's head shot up from under the blankets.

"Joker?" He asked intrigued, "what do you mean by that?" Alfred shook his head disappointedly.

"Oh, so now I have your attention?" He knew when it came to the Joker that Bruce was relentless, almost unyielding. He would drop everything he was doing if Joker was spotted somewhere. And Alfred could bet his bottom dollar that only seconds later Bruce would be strapped up in the bat suit ready to hunt down the clown prince of crime.

It's almost an obsession really. Alfred had thought from time to time.

"Last night around the times of 11.00 to 12.00 witnesses say they saw Harley Quinn and the Joker enter the old abandoned medical warehouse in the west of Gotham before it blew up." Alfred was going about his daily butler duties when a sudden news report alerted him of the Joker's new past time.

Bruce's attention was now fully gauged. "Blew up?" He questioned confused. "Who were the witnesses?"

"A homeless couple, living in the slums." Bruce bit his lip, thinking about any related problems he had encountered last week in Gotham's slums that could have caused this or that he could link back to. His mind was drawing straws, he couldn't think of anything.

"Did the explosion hurt anyone?" He asked.

"No, they were no casualties, but a lot of damage was done." Alfred breathed with relief. Bruce also felt a wave of relief.

Good the clown's madness didn't take anyone. After a while of silence, Bruce sighed and sat up.

"I see, I'll have to investigate tonight." He announced. Alfred smirked; pretty much knowing Bruce was going to do this. It was so predictable

"What happened to "criminals are always up to something and you'll catch them later?" He said smugly. Bruce rolled his eyes and sighed again.

"Joker's not like any other criminals, he does things differently and whatever he did to that warehouse is part of some master plan." Bruce shivered thinking about what twisted plan the clown could have in store. What new way would he terrify Gotham with now?

"I'm sure," Alfred muttered sarcastically, the word obsession popped into his mind briefly, though he didn't say it. "So what time will you be going out?"

"10:00, wake me up then." Bruce requested. He would sleep for a few hours before plunging into the darkness of the night.

"Only seven hours of sleep sir?" Alfred spoke rather concerned.

"That's the life of the batman," Bruce replied seldomly. He rolled back into the comfort of his bed, for now, he would forget he was Batman.

"A petty indecent life if you ask me." Alfred chimed, adding his opinion. It was no secret that Bruce's butler was not very fond of his master's late-night activities, he thought they were dangerous and Bruce would get hurt in the end but he also knew Bruce was as stubborn as a mule, he wouldn't budge about this Batman business.

"Yeah I know, but they need me, Alfred," Bruce said closing his eyes.

"I'm sure they do Mr. Batman."

"I'm sure they do."