40- WORRY

"Bruce you're a slob, why do you never wash the dishes? Joker huffed. He peered into the sink which had accumulated a mess throughout the afternoon.

Bruce chuckled haughtily "Sorry, I'll do it next time okay," He promised. He came behind the Joker, limiting the space between them, he placed his hands on his waist and gently flooded the Joker' neck with kisses.

The teenager felt his cheeks burn up. "That's what you always say." He muttered, feeling a little flustered, his mind began to spin.

He knew Bruce was just trying to distract him from his inability to wash dishes through affection, but frankly, he was doing such a good job that the Joker didn't care.

"This time I mean it." Bruce said. This time I mean it, even though I've said that a million times.

The younger man rolled his eyes, the chances of Bruce doing the dishes were very low, he had learned that the hard way. But he was too happy to say anything about it, instead, he just stood in Bruce's embrace, enjoying the feeling.

It had been a while since the two had gotten quality time together, there was always an obstacle in their way, whether it was a nosey butler or unexpected house guests. The two just couldn't catch a break. But things were slowly returning to normal. A week had gone and nothing really eventful had happened. It was alleviating, therapeutic almost that Bruce could spend time with his "Loverboy." without worrying or being interrupted. Life was truly looking up for the pair

But like always it didn't last for very long.

"Bruce!" Alfred's voice boomed from outside the kitchen door before he rushed into the room.

Bruce and the Joker looked at each other suddenly.

"Bruce have you heard the news?" Alfred said, his voice harboring an alert tone.

The pair separated instantly. Bruce stole a quick glance at Joker's flustered face before concealing a smirk.

The Joker stared at the floor before turning and beginning to wash the dishes, trying to act as normal as he could.

Fuck! did he see? Could he know?

Alfred looked at the pair curiously, they'd looked to be very close until he'd entered the room. They looked notably uncomfortable. What did I walk in on? The butler thought silently to himself. He noted there was a tension in the room, But as usual, he chose not to say anything.

Bruce cleared his throat, noticing the silence. "What news?" He asked curiously. The look on Alfred's face told him it had to be something.

The tension in the room seemed to ease away, Joker felt more at ease knowing they hadn't been caught, this time.

The butler sighed, it was at the peak of the morning when he had received Gotham's latest problem in the form of a news bulletin. He knew his master wouldn't be too happy about this.

"Scarecrow has broken out of Black gate."

Joker felt his breath falter, a loud ringing erupted in his ears as he registered Alfred's words. The glass in his hand slowly began to fall from his grip. There was an ear-piercing shatter before shards of glass lay across the floor. Joker felt as if his body had become numb. His eyes became wide. The words repeated in his head.

Scarecrow has broken out of Blackgate.

"Jack!" Alfred exclaimed the sudden shattering of glass had made both Alfred and Bruce jump. They looked at the teenager, whose face had turned a terrible pale color.

The yell seemed to have snapped the Joker from his daze because now he was staring back at his housemates.

Of fuck, he breathed. He managed to hide the anxiousness on his, but his heart was still beating fastly.

"I-i-m s-s-sorry. I'll clean it up." He managed to choke out. He avoided both their gazes, afraid they would notice his visible fear.

Bruce looked at the Joker with worry as he walked past him, his worry only increased as the teenager was headed straight for the glass barefoot and unaware.

"Stop." Bruce cried out in alarm, he grabbed the joker by the arm, pulling him back and away from the glass. The Joker stumbled back inevitably bumping against Bruce's chest.

"s-s-orry." He stuttered. He shook his head, trying to get a grip on his nerves. He looked up at the older man and gave a shaky smile.

Bruce stared at him seriously. He was beginning to think something was wrong.

"Be careful." He whispered. Both of their gazes lingered, Bruce giving the Joker's comforting eyes, and the Joker reciprocating thankful eyes.

But he soon stopped, he felt the mood become awkward, seeing as Alfred was there. They couldn't stay like this, not unless they wanted to attract suspicion.

"The dustpan is in another room, I'll get it." He mumbled. He pulled away from Bruce, maneuvering his way around the glass.

I wonder. I really wonder. Alfred thought, he examined the teenager before he left the room, this little display had definitely not gone unnoticed.

Joker stopped once he'd reached the hallway. Instead of getting the dustpan, he used this time to conduct himself. Leaning against it for support, His breathing was unstable and sharp as he remained outside, listening to their conversation.

"When where the police alerted?" Bruce asked.

Joker held his breath, awaiting the answer.

Please tell me it was only hours ago, please, please.

"Five days after his escape." The butler announced.

The Joker felt his heart sink more.

"Jesus Christ! He'll be long gone by now." Bruce cursed. The chances of bringing him back are low now. "There's no way I could track him now."

If it had been a few hours maybe I could have worked with Gordon and hunted him down. But alas the hero would have to start from scratch.

The Joker sank to his knees.

The rest of Bruce's and Alfred's conversation became inaudible.

This is bad, this is very bad. He bit his lip, he didn't know why a matter like this made him so nervous. Perhaps it was because his pyscho ex-boyfriend was out or maybe he was stuck permanently in this state while his psycho ex-boyfriend was out. Either way in his mind no good could come of this situation.

And there's another thing. Joker sighed. Bruce, he still doesn't know. The Joker ran his hand through his hair. Now how would I explain that to him?

There was heavy fear that came with Bruce finding out about the Joker's previous relationship.

What if he thinks I'm a slut? What if Scarecrow finds out were together? If something were to happen to Bruce I don't think I could even... Joker shut his eyes tightly he didn't want to think of that possibility.

He didn't want to believe all that he'd gone through with Bruce could be dismantled so easy, but it was a hard thought to push away. Would the madman ruin everything for the two? Would he try to force himself upon the teenager? Would he try to hurt Bruce? The Joker felt sick even thinking about it.

God this is so complicated! The teenager breathed, these small details he'd managed to neglect had come back to haunt him.

"I can't believe it, he's out."

************* 🐧🐧

"Good morning." Bruce walked into the kitchen late that morning, instantly he saw Alfred and the Joker sitting at the table.

He waved to Alfred before smiling warmly at the joker. Alfred waved back briefly taking a zip from his coffee mug.

The Joker hadn't noticed Bruce smile at him, he was staring at the table surface, his face was rested against his hand.

Bruce noted he looked rather glum. He sat down opposite to the Joker but beside Alfred.

"Hey," Bruce said, making his presence more known.

The teenager didn't even bat an eyelid, nor look in his direction.

Okay then. Bruce thought to himself. He turned to Alfred, speaking in a low whisper.

"Alfred's what's wrong with him?" He asked.

Alfred looked at the Joker to ensure he wasn't listening. "He's been nervous." He whispered. "Ever since Scarecrow's little breakout, well at least that's what I think."

Alfred couldn't help but make a connection to the clown's declining mood and coincidental break out of the mad psychologist.

Scarecrow? Bruce wondered he found it hard to comprehend why the joker would be worried about him.

Bruce looked back at the teenager, opening his mouth to ask about his mood.

"Don't.'' Alfred instinctively warned. "He won't talk about it, trust me."

Bruce fell silent, both of them were the two just stared at the joker. Both wondering the same thing.

The teenager began to feel uncomfortable as he felt like he was being watched. He looked up, seeing that Alfred and Bruce were gawking at him. They immediately looked elsewhere, pretending as if they hadn't been staring at the boy.

Joker rolled his eyes. He knew they were going to ask and frankly, he didn't want to talk.

He stood up from the table suddenly. "I'm going out." He uttered before he sped from the room.

Bruce shot up as well, following the teenager down the corridor, determined to figure out what was wrong.

"I'm coming with you." He called after.

Joker quickened his pace "You don't have to." He reached the house door and opened it.

Bruce caught up to him, persistently trailing behind.

"Well I'm coming too, and besides I need to go to work." He smiled obnoxiously.

Joker threw his hands up in the air. This man isn't going to give up, is he? There was no way he could dodge Bruce.

He huffed and walked outside, there Bruce's Ferrari was parked. Joker looked at the gate that withheld Wayne manor from the rest of the world. He suddenly felt stupid, Gotham was miles away from the manor. He would be walking for hours.

"Ahem," Bruce said loudly. He caught the clown's attention and gestured to his car.

Aww great, he gonna want to go for a drive. Joker groaned. He crossed his arms, regretting how he had just played himself.

Bruce held the joker by the hand, "Get in." He instructed just as Joker had predicted.

The teen huffed again "Fine." Inevitably he sat in the car, facing the window, forcing him to stray from bruce's prying eyes or his questions.

After entering his car Bruce turned the key, lighting up the ignition, the roar of fear bought him to life. He drove out of the driveway and sped off into town.

There was an awkward silence as the Joker deliberately said nothing, all that could be heard was the occasional revving of the engine. Finally, Bruce decided to break the silence.

"How are you?" He asked.

Joker just blinked "Fine." He said blankly after a few seconds passed.

"Did you eat something in the morning?" Bruce prodded with concern.

"Yeah." The Joker replied, just as coldly as before.

Bruce sighed loudly, rather fed up from such blank answers.

"Where are you going?" He inquired.

The clown furrowed his eyes brown and folded his arms.

"Stop doting on me." He snapped.

Bruce glanced at him, seeing the visible irritation on his face

"Okay. what's wrong?" He asked sincerely.

The teenager uncrossed his arms. "Nothing, I'm just tired." He said more meekly, embarrassed by his unintentional rudeness.

"Is this about Scarecrow?" Bruce said finally.

The teenager said nothing once more, he just looked down at his lap looking as disgruntled as ever.

"I'm guessing it is." Bruce followed up shortly. The silence said it all.

"Why are you worried about him?" Bruce inquired. He worried about the teenager, and why this bothered him so much.

Joker sighed, he could hide it no longer. He had to tell him. But how we he react, what would he say?

The Joker shuffled around in his seat. "We didn't exactly leave on a positive note."

"Is this about how he hit you with the anti-aging toxin?" Bruce wondered. He knew that scarecrow had thought that he had hit the Joker with a mind control toxin to usurp his place in the mob but it had backfired. But what didn't make sense to Bruce was why madman would possibly bother the Joker now? Wouldn't he move on, found another way to get control of the mob?

That's not exactly it, after all, its not the mob he wants. Joker shuddered. I should tell him.

"No... it's just." The teenager began, he struggled to find the words to explain his situation.

How do I say my ex-boyfriend is potentially still lusting over me? God this is so hard! He whined.

"Well?" Bruce said seeing that he was receiving no answer.

Joker looked at Bruce with his wide eyes, Bruce looked caring, genuinely concerned for him.

He doesn't deserve this, Joker thought. He shouldn't be worried about my messy relationship; it shouldn't cause him any harm. And Harm was all the Joker could imagine when Scarecrow and Batman would cross paths.

I can't tell him.

I won't.

Joker couldn't bear to ruin what they had worked up for.

"Don't worry about it." He said quietly, sinking back into his chair. He felt guilty for not saying anything but it was for his boyfriend's safety.

Bruce bit his lip, "No tell, I'm worried."

Joker fidgeted with his seat belt. "Look as long as Scarecrow and I are in Gotham together something is bound to happen." He knew what a twisted mind that scarecrow could have, after all, he had gotten to know him well.

"Why?" Bruce asked worriedly "what's wrong?" He was concerned now.

"I just can't be here whilst he's lurking around, its not safe," Joker said quietly.

Bruce reached his hand out, gently holding one of the Joker's hand, he gave it a soft squeeze "Hey your safe, he can't do anything to you." He chuckled jovially. So that's why he was worried. He was just scared.

Joker didn't laugh with him, nor did he smile. The look on his face didn't read as if this was something comical.

"That's not what I'm worried about. Look I know Scarecrow and he won't stop until..." He stopped before he could say any revealing.

Bruce's ears tingled "Stop until what?" He asked. He looked at Joker's fearful face.

Was there something I didn't know? Is scarecrow planning something? What was Jack so scared of?

"Jack, what is that supposed to mean?" He asked firmly.

"Nothing." The teen squeaked, his eyes returned to the window "Can you drop me off here, I'm going to Harley's house." He said before anything more could be said.

Bruce pursed his lips. It was only a few days ago that they got back into their rhythm and were developing their relationship normally and now this jus had to have happened, once again their lives were jumbled up.

Something is bothering him. And I want to know what.

Eventually, Bruce spoke. "Is it safe for you to walk alone?" He asked calmly. Despite his better judgment, he ruled against pushing the Joker into talking.

"Yeah," Joker replied softly.

Bruce stopped against a curb and watched the teenager vacate the car, the Joker walked down the block, resisting the urge to look back. He held his head high and went about acting like this awkward car ride was a thing of the past.

Bruce didn't start driving until the teenager was out of his eyesight, his eyes glared into the rearview of the mirror.

"Hey, send an anonymous message to Gordon ." He spoke into the car's in-built hand-free phone. "Tell him Batman won't be on duty for a few days."

He swerved across a corner, speeding back home. He had a lot to plan.

"Then send a call to Liam, tell him to be here by morning, I need to go somewhere."

Bruce's hands gripped against the steering wheel. His blood was boiling. A certain something and a certain someone was hurting his Babyboy. And he was going to fix that, but not before he fixed his Babyboy.

************* 🐧🐧

"Hey," Bruce said as he walked into Wayne manor's parlor, he found the Joker sitting there on a couch with a book in his hand.

The Joker smiled at him; his eyes lit up from seeing Bruce. He rushed to Bruce fawning at, bombarding him with a hug and floods of kisses.

Bruce was taken aback, this was certainly a different change in mood from the one he the teenager was experiencing this morning, not that he was complaining though.

"How was work?" Joker asked. He held his hand, leading him to the couch, where he sat right beside him, eager to hear everything.

Bruce chuckled warmly, he was happy to see the Joker engaging him without force, the teen's demeanor reminded him of an excited puppy who was awaiting his master's return.

He loosened his tie and removed his jacket. "Boring as usual." Bruce sighed, he slumped against the couch, his arm draped over the Joker, his head rested territorially on the Joker's neck, inhaling the teen's sweet scent.

The clown beamed at the affection, going red at the slight touch. He moved closer to Bruce, wanting to lap it all up, wanting to just give back what he had neglected this morning.

"How are you feeling now?" Bruce asked.

Joker inhaled loudly, "Still like shit." He smiled sarcastically. But he had calmed down after visiting Ivy and Harley who ensured him that Scarecrow wouldn't recognize him.

"How about you?" Joker inquired.

"Alright," Bruce replied. Nothing but paperwork and ass-kissing.

"Still worried?" Bruce prodded, he felt as the Joker was feeling better.

"As worried as I'll ever be." The clown replied cynically.

That didn't help Bruce worry less "You think Gotham's not safe?" Bruce exhaled. That means whatever scarecrow's gonna do it's worrying him.

"Not as long as Scarecrow is free, I guess I'll just have to stay indoors." The teen huffed. An unorthodox way of avoiding a pycho but a good one nevertheless.

Bruce smiled at the comment, it gave him the perfect opening for his proposition. "You wanna go somewhere else, baby?" Bruce offered. Kissing the teenager's soft skin.

The Joker nodded as he giggled. "I would love that, but where would I go?" He questioned playfully.

Bruce looked at the teenager with a grin "Somewhere foreign, somewhere hot." The older man suggested.

"That would be nice, but I can't." The teenager sighed.

I would love to go on holiday just me and you, but that can't be done.

"Sure you can." Bruce prompted, kissing higher. He reached the Joker's jaw, "Just say yes." He whispered.

"Bruce," Joker whined, he felt his brain go hazy, he felt tempted to say yes. "What about my friends I can't just leave them."

Definitely not alone in Gotham with no Batman and just scarecrow.

"They can come along too." Bruce laughed.

Joker scoffed loudly. "Oh and I suppose Harley would love to go on a road trip with the man she hates." He could see it now Bruce and Harley best buddies.

"You'd be surprised," Bruce said, he spoke the words with such confidence, like an inside joke only he knew of.

Joker craned his neck away from Bruce "What's that's supposed to mean?" The teenager turned to look at Bruce.

Bruce brought his closer once more, shushing him with another kiss.

"How about we go to Italy," Bruce said, he put his plan in motion. He only waited for Joker's response.

"Very funny," Joker said dryly.

Yeah, let's just drop everything and go to Italy.

"I'm serious." Bruce replied, "Let's go, you always said you've wanted to go." He remembered the clown detailing his fascination with the exotic country, now this was the perfect opportunity.

Joker shook his head. "The timing is inappropriate."

Of all the times Batman was needed by Gotham now was the time, he couldn't just Jet off to a foreign country because his boyfriend was feeling anxious.

Bruce nuzzled against the Joker. "The timing's perfect. It would take your mind off things."

The teenager pulled away from Bruce. Oh no, he's not gonna use his seductive charm on me. He now realized what Bruce was trying to do. Once again he using his seductive charm to coerce him into doing something.

Joker crossed his arms. "No, that's immature. I just can't up and leave, and no amount of kisses can change that!"

Bruce's face screamed of you "you caught me." As he put his hand up. He chuckled at the Joker's refusal.

"Come, pack your stuff. Let's go." He insisted. I'm not taking no for answer. He had planned it all.

"Bruce I'm not going to Italy!" Joker said firmly, and nothing in the world could change his mind.