54- RUN

Adrenaline pumped through the Dark Knight's body; however, it was a different feeling from the ecstatic sense of adventure that had traveled through his blood, that first night four months ago.

This time his adrenaline was enthused by fear, a dangerous sense of urgency, that was far from daring.

Four months, ago he was oblivious, four months ago he was confident, the night was his for the taking. Four months ago when he had dawned his mask he became the eternal guardian, but now he was grasping for time, frantically rushing to save a life.

Batman sped through the streets of Gotham, his panicked state was causing him to think not so rationally. His Batmobile was cutting corners through the most obvious roads, he was driving through the town where everyone would bear witness.

But what did that matter? He was too uneasy to care about being noticed, in a moment like this he needed speed, not stealth.

Jack, hold on. Please just hold on. Thinking about Jack reminded him of that dreaded phone call; it reminded Bruce of the stakes of the situation.

Flashback:

"Bruce! Hey! Listen because I can't talk long!" The Joker said into the phone quickly, he voices came out forced from the other end; it was the first thing Bruce noticed.

Not thinking much of it, he butted into the Joke's sentence. "Hold on your speaking too fast, slow down," He muttered from the end, the words from the other line were barely reaching his ears.

I know he misses me, but can't he wait for me to get back for at least an hour?

A small smile tugged at Bruce's lip. He assumed the Joker was just being clingy, as usual.

"Bruce. Please I don't have much time." Joker pleaded, the lowness and urgency in his voice made Bruce's smile drop.

He stopped. "Why do you sound so upset? Is something wrong?"

Is something going on at home? Is he hurt? Is it the baby? He sounds like it's serious.

"We need to stop being friends." The Joker said suddenly. "We-."

A frown tugged at Bruce's lips as he tried to understand the nature of those sudden words. "What I don-t?"

"I wouldn't expect you to." The Joker cut him off in a whisper. "I'm with a scarecrow."

A long pause came over the phone. Those words caused a shiver to travel up Bruce's spine.

You're with who? He fought the urge to say it out loud.

Already his body was plunged into fight mode, his brain was working at its best capacity on how to respond to the anxiety that was deployed in his chest.

He's with Scarecrow? He's with Scarecrow? He's withs scarecrow! Confusion turned to dread, the panic switched on in his brain.

Bruce didn't blink, in that moment, he couldn't breathe.

What does that mean? What the fuck does that mean? He couldn't tell himself not to panic because he had already begun.

D-d-does it mean he's with scarecrow by his own will?....or.... I dunno. Why would he tell me unless...

Bruce fumbled in his own mind. Okay okay, if he's scarecrow then he must want me to know. He collected his thoughts. T-t-hhen h-he must be in trouble. I-i-i have to help him!

"At the Gotham pier, I'm with him now," Joker added. "If you know what's good for you, forget this call and leave me alone." He finished the sentence quickly.