10- INTO THE BATCAVE

Batman watched as the clown was fast asleep, his chest was rising and falling in a rhythmic but peaceful pattern. He was sleeping rather peacefully for someone who had just been kidnapped.

What have I done? Bruce thought. He was freaking out, his eyes were still adjusting to the mere sight of seeing the Joker in the back seat of his car. He couldn't believe his erratic behavior had led him to do this, but it was such a spur of the moment, it was the only idea he had.

How could I be so careless? He sighed. Regret was eating away at him internally.

Ughh I should have just let the GPD take him.

Bruce thought the prospect of leaving Joker wasn't as bad, but he also knew the clown wouldn't talk to the police and would probably bust out of Arkham like he always did. Bruce ruled against turning him in, keeping the Joker under his surveillance was the only way he could keep the city safe.

Bruce exhaled. But what am I going to do now? He pondered on leaving the Joker in his car but thought otherwise to the idea. Who knew what Joker could get up to if he was left him alone in such a car? He could ruin the Batmobile or worse hijack his way escape. Bruce decided, with more pros than cons, that he would take the clown into the Bat cave. There he would keep him for interrogation and then finally release him to Arkham.

I'm doing this for the good of Gotham, Bruce convinced, For the good of the people. Yet why did he feel so uncertain? Am I doing the right thing?

He felt conflicted, he felt so wrong.

"What the fuck am I doing?" He breathed. Bruce shook the doubts from his head, he didn't have time to second guess himself.

He unbuckled the Joker's seat belt, taking him out of the car carefully, he carried him bridal style through the secret entrance of Batcave and entered.

I'll tie him up, that way he won't move around as much. Bruce looked around at all the high tech gadgets in the Batcave, probably best to hide them somewhere for now. Therefore if the clown did escape his bonds, there would be no way he could do anything crazy. He found a surgical table and lay the Joker down, surprisingly the clown was still asleep even after Batman took off his clown mask. He was thankful that the Joker was a he was a heavy sleeper. With precaution and alertness, Bruce tied up the clown, though not harshly enough that he was in pain or lacked any circulation.

I must have gone mad. Bruce sighed, he was still in a daze due to his actions. He took off his mask, running his hands through his hair soothingly. Perhaps all those nights of fighting with Joker had finally taken their toll and he was going through his own spout of insanity. Bruce definitely felt like he was.

"Master Bruce, you're back?" A voice spoke from behind Bruce, nearly causing Bruce to jump.

Oh god, Alfred why now? His butler just had to come at the most inconvenient of times. Bruce cringed internally, how would he explain this? There was no way Alfred would be happy about their guest.

Bruce trying his best to block the Joker's presence turned around. "A-a-lfred, what are you doing here?" His voice came out as an anxious stutter.

Alfred looked at him curiously, noticing his sudden behavior. He chose not to acknowledge it.

"I came to see if you have wounds," Alfred said, he knew Bruce's vigilantism often bore the brunt of some beastly bruises and wounds.

Bruce shook his head sincerely. "I'm fine." He lied more smoothly.

"How did the mission go?" Alfred inquired.

Well, I ended up bringing home my worst enemy so, obviously not too good.

"It went fine," Bruce said, "Scarecrow's behind bars but Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy got away." Bruce then quickly held his breath, he prayed Alfred wouldn't mention the Joker.

The butler nodded at the statement. "I'm guessing the Joker's in Arkham then?" He suggested.

Oh god, he just had to ask! Bruce bit down on his tongue, contemplating whether to lie or not. Alfred would find out sooner or later, but Bruce knew he wouldn't be too pleased. His wrath could be scarier than the villains' Batman faced.

"Not exactly," Bruce said slowly, not lying nor telling the truth.

Alfred raised a brow. "Why? Did he get away?" He asked, prodding further.

Bruce scrunched his face up, discomfort clearly visible. Oh god, here we go.

"Not exactly Alfred I.."

"Miss Keisha, miss Keisha. Oh my fucking god, she's fucking dead." The Joker mumbled some nonsense in his sleep suddenly. Alfred instantly noticed a person behind Bruce on the surgical table.

Fuck! The Joker couldn't keep his mouth shut! Bruce cringed inwardly, feeling like a little boy who had been caught in the act.

"Surprise." Bruce laughed awkwardly. He shuffled to the side, revealing an unconscious Joker laying on the table.

Alfred nearly had a heart attack. "Bruce! Why on earth did you bring the Joker here?" He yelled, he was utterly shocked by what he saw.

Bruce looked back at Joker who was shifting in his sleep.

"Alfred lower your voice, he could wake up." He whispered.

Alfred merely glared at his young master. "Did you kidnap him?" Alfred accused. He examined the situation, all the evidence could only point to kidnap. A tied-up Joker, an unconscious one to add to that, and a very guilty look on Bruce's face.

Bruce scratched the back of his neck, he didn't technically count it as kidnap.

"No, he was just unconscious," He tried to explain.

Alfred looked at him even more stunned.

Bruce could only feel more embarrassment at his poor explanation, "Look I couldn't take him to Arkham Alfred."

"MASTERY WAYNE! That is still kidnaped!" Alfred whispered aggressively. There is no other way to explain it! Alfred sighed, pacing around, unable to believe Bruce could commit such an act. He didn't want to believe it.

I knew he had a slight obsession with catching the Joker, but I didn't think he would take it this far! Alfred rubbed his forehead, trying not to have an aneurysm from all this thinking.

Bruce just agreed, not even trying to justify himself. He knew Alfred was right and what he had done was wrong. It was beyond the scope of heroism.

"I know, I know but he's sick with something and for the sake of Gotham he needs to stay here," Bruce said.

Stay here? In the bat cave, under Wayne manor? Bruce has got to be pulling my leg. Alfred put his face in the palms of his hands. He still couldn't fathom that Bruce had bought some so deranged into the Batcave, just right under their home.

"Even criminals don't deserve to be kidnapped, and here out of all places Bruce!" Alfred said, face still buried in hands.

Bruce could tell Alfred wasn't on board, or even slightly in agreeance but the decline in his tone told him that he wouldn't protest.

He can complain but he can't stop me, he knows I'm doing this for a good reason.

"Yes, I know, I'll let him go after I question him," Bruce promised.

Alfred turned to his direction but not to look at Bruce, he realized the Joker was stirring from his sleep and would probably awaken soon.

"Well won't be long, because he's waking up now." Alfred gestured at the clown.

Bruce looked behind him. "You should probably leave Alfred," Bruce suggested. This might get messy.

Alfred looked at him once more with a look of doubt.

Oh, Bruce, I worry for you.

"You don't have to tell me twice." The butler said instead. He turned coming back from the direction he came from, he would go inside and have a nice cup of tea, hoping that this was all one big nightmare.

Bruce put his mask back on and composed himself.

This is going to be one heck of a night.

Joker, wriggled around, soon awakening from his slumber. He slowly blinked, eyes hardly seeing anything. It was dark, it took some time for his eyes to adjust.

"Ivy?" He called out into the darkness.

"Joker," Batman growled, announcing his presence.

That's not Ivy! The Joker who nearly died upon hearing the familiar vigilante's voice tried to convince himself he was hearing things, the voice was too familiar for him to be who he thought it was. His looked around, his surroundings were foreign, nothing like the simple but plush design of Ivy's room. But also nothing like the white padded walls of Arkham asylum.

So, where was he?

Joker looked up finally, almost immediately dreading what he saw. His worst fears were confirmed by the 6'2, darkly dressed and stoic faced hero who stood above him, glaring down at him.

Fuck me! Joker screamed internally. For a second Joker thought he would fall back into unconsciousness, he was certainly tempted. Words could not describe the fear Joker felt as the Dark knight was towering over him. He squirmed around, hoping to move back but felt restricted. Looking down he noticed the thick ropes that bound him. His fear turned to dread as the registered the idea that he was stuck.

What is he doing? Why is he here? Where am I? All fearful questions that Joker desperately wanted answers to.

This is bad, I'm still stuck as a child and now Batsy has me tied up. The Joker wanted to scream. He felt no confidence in this unfortunate predicament, he had no joke or remark that would make him feel better now. The confidence that the older Joker would have exuded was gone. All that was left was fear.

"Joker, what were Ivy and Scarecrow doing in the warehouse a few weeks ago?" Batman asked.

Joker, looked away quickly, panicked that Batman even knew about the warehouse incident.

Oh god, he'll find out, he'll find out then I'll really be in trouble.

"Ummm, I don't know," Joker replied too quickly for his own good.

Bruce studied the expression on the clown's face not convinced at all. He's lying!

"Don't lie to me!" Bruce growled; he didn't have time for the callous lies of the clown.

Joker flinched at Batman's loud and demanding voice.

Get a grip of yourself, if you keep on acting like this, he'll know something is up. He urged himself to at least keep it together. He decided it would be better if he at least tried to manipulate his way out of this, act like his usual self. Give off a persona that left the Dark Knight less suspicious but more confused.

Joker inhaled deeply and looked back at Batman. "Put aside lying and interrogating, where am I?" He asked, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"The bat cave, and that's where you'll stay until you answer my questions." Bruce replied, making sure to emphasize the "until." part.

B-b-bat cave? Bat cave? The Joker thought horrified. I'm in the Dark knight's Bat cave! Away from Ivy and Harley or any police jurisdiction. The concept really shook the Joker to his core, he was alone, as a teenager, with no one to protect him against Batman. Batman could do anything to him, and no one would know.

Batman looked at the Joker, whos face, and body seemed to have frozen, the clown looked completely lost.

What the hell is wrong with him?

Paralysis wasn't the reaction Bruce was expecting.

While Bruce tried to figure out what was going on with the clown, Joker was fighting an internal battle.

Don't freak out! Don't freak out! Don't freak out! Joker repeated in his head. He didn't want his hormonal impulses to take control of him whilst he was around Batman.

Just don't think about it, this probably a dream, a very, very, very bad dream. Yeah, just one bad fever dream. I can't possibly be in the.... B-b-ba-at c-ca-v...

"I'M IN THE WHAT!" Joker couldn't contain his shock as he yelled at the top of his lungs. He didn't even try to hide the terror in his voice.

"DID YOU KIDNAP ME?" He shrieked.

Bruce fell silent, taken aback by the sudden change in Joker's attitude. He sounded more like a frightened schoolgirl than a criminal mastermind, not to mention his voice alone was not the one of a grown man.

Is this what the toxin does, turn people into cry-babies? Bruce wondered if he had even kidnapped the right person, he hoped he'd kidnapped the right person.

"Joker I'm asking the question's here," Batman said firmly trying to get back to the topic at hand.

The questions flew right over Joker's head, frankly, he was too worried about being held captive than playing twenty-one questions with Batman.

"What are you going to do to me?" Joker asked fearfully, the possibilities were endless. Batman did hate him after all.

"Joker!" Batman growled, rather annoyed by his captive's hysteria.

Joker's bottom lip quivered as an unpleasant thought crossed his mind.

"Are you going to kill me?" He blurted out. He gulped; He's going to butcher me alive here and no one will ever find me!

What is wrong with him today? Bruce was bewildered by the behavior he was witnessing. Where was the maniacal clown with a goofy personality? One that would laugh in the face of adversity and any forms of laws. This wasn't the arch enemy Bruce had studied or understood.

"Joker answer the questions!" Batman yelled.

Joker flinched again but mustered the courage to whisper. "Can you blame me; I'm being held against my own will!"

Damnit, he got a point. Bruce would have to give him that.

"Nothing, compared to all the crime you've committed." He shot back quickly, trying to cover from his own mistakes. I'm not about to let the Joker shame me when he's done worse. Bruce told himself.

Joker frowned at the comment, feeling rather irritated. So that means you can just kidnap whoever you want? I think the fuck not.

"Wow," Joker gasped dramatically, he could feel another one of his teenage mood swings coming, one with unbridled rage, he knew it was careless to indulge in his hormones but in this moment, he didn't care.

"Aren't you meant to be a hero or something? I'm pretty sure heroes don't break the law?" He snapped.

Bruce bit down on his teeth, somewhat irritated by the comment. The first statement itself was true, he just hated that it was coming from the Joker's mouth. For one, when had the Joker become so logical? It only reminded Bruce that he had crossed a line and right now he didn't need a lesson on ethics from a devious criminal.

The second statement that left Bruce even more shocked was the tone Joker had said it in. Bruce could only describe it as a bitchy tone, not snarky, not bitter but bitchy, very bitchy. Different from the sophisticated and witty insults the Joker often hurled at him, this insult almost sounded like a teenage girl replying to another teenage girl.

What is going on? Bruce thought to himself.

"Stop diverting the questions and answer. Or I'll." He tried to threaten but the Joker quickly cut him off.

"Or what? You'll what punch me in the head like you did before?" Joker taunted, still irritated by the fact Batman thought his kidnapping tactics were condonable. Joker furrowed his brows; he was going to make this as hard as possible for Batman.

"Here's a tip don't go for the head. The victim's brain gets fuzzy, and they forget things."

Bruce ignored the comment. "What toxin did Scarecrow use on you, what are the effects?"He pressed on further.

"How about let me go and I'll tell you." Joker replied stubbornly, he knew it wouldn't happen, but he found comfort in patronizing the hero.

"What are the effects?" Bruce demanded.

Joker only glanced his way for a short time, he decided he was bored of this little cat and mouse game.

"Uggh. Fuck you, I'm not answering." Joker replied.

Bruce looked at him with a deadly glare. Joker had just sworn him. Astonishingly it was something Batman was new to witness. He had never heard the Joker swear, not once.

I can't understand anything going on with him. Bruce thought. It was like the Joker wasn't the same person. He had the replies and words, but the voice and delivery were very much off.

Batman thought to himself briefly. This is getting me nowhere. I need another plan, another way to extract what the toxin is without having all this tedious conversation. If he kept this up, he would surely go mad.

The words extract played over and over in Batman's head.

Extract! that's it. He thought triumphantly. If Joker was still acting like this then toxin would still very much be in his bloodstream.

"Fine, I'll just take a blood sample," Batman announced. He looked at the Joker, noticing it had caught his attention, Joker looked visibly distressed all of a sudden.

"Blood sample?" He stuttered.

"Is there a problem?" Bruce asked, clearly seeing there was one.

Joker swallowed hardly.

No! He can't take a blood sample, if he does, he'll find out I'm not exactly an adult.

"Now hold on Batsy, there's no need for that." Joker laughed nervously. Batman smirked to himself. I've got you now clown.

"Your protest to a blood test is all I need to know." Batman said not even hiding his smugness.

Joker looked at him with eyes full of hate. He wanted to punch that stupid look off the Dark Knight's face.

"You're such a jerk!" Joker spat at him.

Batman didn't reply, he knew he had won this verbal argument, and surprisingly it felt good. He walked to another part of the Bat cave, finding alcohol, a tourniquet, tubes, a tube holder, needles, tape, and a gauze. He came back to the surgical table, where an angry Joker didn't even bother to look at him. Batman was surprised he at least expected some verbal abuse from the Joker.

"Not going to say any smart remark?" Batman asked.

Joker rolled his eyes, still not complying.

"Good then," Batman replied to his silence, as he took his blood.

After extracting the sample Batman pulled out another needle, he hid it quickly.

A sedative should do the trick for tonight. Batman said looking at the needle.

"Burn in hell Batsy!" Joker said suddenly, breaking his silence. He felt like he wanted to say more, and just as he was about to, he felt another prick.

"What the heck?" Joker looked down, seeing that Batman had just stabbed him in the arm with another needle, "what was that for?" Joker squealed.

Batman looked at him seriously, ignoring his squeals.

"A sleep sedative, you'll wake up tomorrow afternoon, perhaps then you'll want to cooperate then."

"Well..." Joker's sentence was cut short, the sedative had kicked in quickly, very quickly. He closed his eyes and fell asleep once more.

Bruce sighed, exhaling loudly, only one question could describe the confusion he felt and that was:

what the fuck had just happened tonight?