17- MR.BRIGHTSIDE

Alfred hadn't anticipated befriending a murderous clown in such a fashion, he hadn't anticipated enjoying his visits to the bat cave, but day by day he did. He found himself slowly befriending the Joker, seeking out conversation with him and vice versa. Joker had also quickly become fond of Alfred, he found that with each passing visit Joker as feeling like his old self, he wasn't fazed anymore about relapsing again as long as Alfred was there. Still his dreams were center of abuse but at least when awoke he found himself in more pleasant environment. With Alfred to keep him company Joker had even forgotten sometimes we was kidnapped. Both men were intrigued with each other and though they would never say it out loud they very much did enjoy each other's company. A friendship was growing on the horizon.

"Are you British?" The Joker asked Alfred completely out of the blue one morning, he had often wondered why the butler didn't have an American accent or spoke in a different lingo, but most importantly why Alfred's voice reminded him of a song, resembling the same accent of a certain lead singer. Joker found it hard to listen to the butler's voice without thinking about song in his head. Alfred looked at the Joker profoundly, the Joker was often one to ask outlandish questions, often staring topics on weird or random matter, Alfred figured today it would be about his ethnicity.

"Yes, I just happen to be, why?" He replied. The butler thought it was pretty obvious, Alfred didn't exactly exude American spirit.

"Oh Nothing," Joker laughed, "It's just your voice reminds me of a song by a band." Joker admitted. Alfred made a face of utter confusion in Joker's direction. My voice reminds him of a song?

"And how exactly does one remind you of a song?" He inquired, wanting to know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult.

"Your accent, it's sounds like the lead singer of the killers, in the song Mr Brightside." He explained. Alfred looked at him blankly, not comprehending any of it.

Mr Brightside? Leaders singer? Killer? Alfred didn't know what to think, he had never heard of such a band.

"I've never listened to it." He said truthfully. Joker eyes widened at the statement. How has he not heard of the killers? They're like amazing! Joker was astounded to find someone in all the world who hadn't heard the song. Joker was ready to lecture Alfred on the phenomenal gem of humanity that was Mr Brightside, he couldn't believe that a masterpiece like this one hadn't graced his eras. But that's when he realised the song came out in 2003, it dawned on him suddenly , perhaps it was song for people who weren't as old. After all, Alfred was exactly a sprightly youth.

"Maybe because your old." Joker mocked with a grin, he found fun in teasing the butler's age, for his reactions were priceless. Alfred furrowed his brows and scoffed.

"It must be the gutter trash you kids listen to these days." He shot back. Alfred had also noticed that Joker was rather sensitive on his age, denying or refusing to believe he was a teenager. Alfred also found great amusement in mocking the Joker's age whenever the Joker tried to mock his, it was a healthy balance of teasing.

"I'm not a kid." Joker said crossing his arms, in a very childlike manner that didn't help his case.

"You're 17, thank you very much." Alfred reminded smugly. Joker couldn't dispute that. He pouted his lip and snorted.

"Whatever." He simply said back in reply. Alfred laughed with delight; he truly found the company to be something else.

The rest of the day the Joker spent explaining the genius band that was the killers. Alfred listened attentively, listening to the Joker speak with such passion on something that wasn't terrorizing Gotham. As Joker spoke, he went in depth, listing their albums and concerts and even band members, he found that Alfred actually listened and asked questions, eager to be educated on the band. The Joker found it strange, it had been a long time since he had shared a love for any hobby and someone who really cared, it was different with Alfred. It wasn't the same case with Harley or Ivy who would listen but not pay attention. Joker couldn't quite put his finger on it, but it reminded him of something, no it reminded him of someone. Some from long ago he could feel safe around.