23- THE MORNING AFTER

Around sometime during noon, Bruce decided he would go down into the bat cave again, after hours of agonizing whether to leave to another day or just facing the clown again, he figured it would be better to rip off the band aid. He had given the Joker enough alone time, the more he prolonged his questioning, the more the Joker had to stay in his captivity and Bruce knew neither of them wanted that.

So it was decided, Bruce would go down there, but before doing so he needed a fail safe, some sort of buffer. Going down there wouldn't be easy nor a pleasant experience. It would be awkward and maybe even triggering. Though Bruce had swallowed his pride and apologized it still didn't stop him from feeling very guilty, and who knew what the current emotional status of the Joker was.

I need help, I need Alfred.

"Alfred could you come down to the bat cave with me?" Bruce asked standing over the butler. Alfred, Alfred who was thankfully didn't have his back turned, was reading the newspaper, purposely avoiding Bruce's gaze.

"Why?" Alfred wondered, eyes still skimming over the paper, "I thought Mr Batman had everything handled." Alfred didn't hesitate to dial up the condescension, after all he had every right. He was still very upset with Bruce's behaviour and actions, swaying the butler wouldn't be so easy.

"look I just feel the Joker would be more comfortable if you were there." Bruce held his breath, he was reliant on Alfred, his last encounter with the Joker was difficult, the clown couldn't even look him in the eye if had at least wanted answer the Joker to answer his questions he wanted him be comfortable. Alfred looked up from the paper, scepticism evident in his eyes.

So now he cares about the Joker's well being? Alfred found Bruce's motives questionable, did Bruce actually care or did he just want to be on Alfred's good side once again, but on the other spectrum of Alfred's thoughts he believed maybe Bruce did see the error in his ways. But then again Alfred couldn't be too sure. The butler t'sked under his breath.

"Fine. But i'm doing this for him, not you." Alfred reminded sternly, this was in no way an opportunity for Bruce to win back his favours, he was doing it for Jack and Jack alone.

Bruce nodded gratefully and uttered a quick "Thank you." He was just happy Alfred was talking to him again.

*****

"Hello, Jack, how did you sleep?" Alfred asked cheerfully upon entering the bat cave. The Joker was awake, sitting up like he always did, he was rubbing the sleep from his eyes but managed to wave at the butler.

"Great," The Joker yawed mid-sentence, though really felt like shit, "Absolutely great." He smiled tiredly. Great was far from it however, yesterday's happenings were still very bizarre to him, besides being psychically tired he was very much emotionally tired. Alfred went right up to the Joker, sitting beside him. Bruce however lingered, keeping a good distance away.

"Are you hungry?" Alfred asked politely. Alfred seemed to be asking that question more and more lately, his soul concern rested in the clown.

"Not really." Joker lied, not wanting to be an inconvenience to Alfred, and he would have gotten away with the lie if his stomach hadn't rumbled at the exact moment. Alfred raised an eyebrow at him, deciphering his lies. Joker smiled awkwardly and shrugged. Alfred sighed but succumbed to a small smile.

"I'll whip you up something." He insisted. He must be hungry. Alfred thought. Joker looked briefly at the Batman, who seemed to be brooding in the corner.

"You're gonna leave?" He said gingerly. He wasn't as afraid of the batman as before, after all he had apologised and tried to make amends but the prospect of being alone in the company of the dark knight was strange, the vibe in the room was already weird. The two could barely look at each other, there was a tension in the cave that already was very high if Alfred were to leave the tension would grow even higher.