20- TRAUMA

TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT, ABUSE.

Alfred guessed this was the bad part of the Joker' s childhood, the reason he screamed and was so tormented in his sleep. Alfred gulped; he didn't know what to expect.

"His name was Mr Tate, he was 45, 13 years older and too ugly and rude for my mother. But she didn't marry him for looks or because she loved him, she married him for his money. She never said it to my face, but I have a feeling the only reason she dealt with him was for my sake. She wanted me to go to college and get a better life. But she did it disregarding her own safety." The Joker said bitterly, the memory of the middle-aged man haunted his to this very day, like a needle int he back of his mind. Each time he thought of Mr Tate, anger and sadness ensued.

Mr Tate? I've heard that name... wait he's the one that.

"He's the reason, you've been screaming in your dreams, isn't he?" Alfred had heard the fear and anger in Joker's voice when he simply said the name. The Joker didn't say anything, but the look on his face confirmed Alfred's theory, he continued to glare at his plate as spoke.

"Let's just say we didn't get along." The Joker said with a passive aggressive smile, "In fact, I hated him, he always talked down to my mom like she was a piece of shit, if things got really bad he would hit her sometimes. But my mother always stayed." The Joker felt his chest heave with anger. He thought about the constant abuse his mother was subjected to because of this man, some of it was unspeakable.

The creep knew she couldn't leave, and he always used it against her. The Joke grumbled in his mind. He hated how his stepfather constantly held it over her head like a lifeline.

"She must have been a brave woman." Alfred said with commended. Alfred had never lived in abusive home nor did he live a life of poverty, but he suspected it must of been bad, anyone who stayed in that environment must of been strong.

"She was. Things weren't as bad the first few years of marriage though. When I was around 13 it was just awkward to be around him, the beatings didn't start until later. He didn't really pay much attention to me back then, but I didn't really care. It was only when I hit my rebellious teen years things started to go bad." The Joker spoke with even more vice in his tone.

"You started sticking up for your mother, didn't you? And he didn't like that." Alfred could imagine the same Jack he knew fighting back. The Joker grinned; it was bittersweet. He felt proud for sticking up for his mother but the effects weren't too great. He remembered the bruised and cuts that lay scattered across his body for just wanting to protect him mother.

"Not one bit. Sometimes I used to fight back or stop him from hitting her, he told me I should my mind my business. Or sometimes he would beat my ass instead." The Joker shrugged, he knew it was nothing compared to what came later in his teen years.

Ahhh yes, the biggest moment of my life. The Joker smiled, looking out into a contented reverie. The biggest moment of his life had also led to the worst.

"What really pissed him however is when I turned 15 and started to really look like my father, my mom would always call me a handsome boy, she said I looked like my him a lot now. I did get some attention in the neighbourhood from a lot of girls during puberty, but it wasn't their attention I wanted. I didn't really like girls like that." The Joker laughed, the irony of someone angered by his sexuality really made him laugh.

Not liking girls? Alfred replayed the words in his head, until it finally dawned on him.

"You're gay?" He questioned out loud. But I thought him and Harley... Never mind.

The Joker smiled shyly, scratching his head. "Yup 100 percent gay and proud." he said softly, he didn't really know Alfred's stance on the LGBTQ+ community or gay people for that matter, he only hoped the butler wouldn't be disgusted. But Alfred showed no signs of anger or even disgust, he merely chuckled, patting the Joker on the back suddenly.