35- REAVEAL

"Where is that Bat?" Harley growled. She paced around the room impatiently with her bat in hand, huffing to herself as she did so.

"He should be here by now!" She spat. Harley's anticipation for the caped crusader was met with disappointment, it had been her bright idea to light the bat signal. Instead of having her party of criminals going out to find him, he would come to them. However, her plan was faltering, Batman was seemingly not keeping up to his code of conduct, for he was nowhere to be seen.

He'll be here, he has to be. Harley thought. That goodie two shoes loser would never let innocent civilians just die.

"Maybe he's late." One of the goons said, he looked up to the ceiling. His was hand trembling over his gun, he felt rattled. If the Dark knight was late, he wasn't necessarily opposed to the idea.

Harley scoffed at the idea. "Batman late?" She mused. Out of all the days Batman could be late now is the time?

"What are we even doing here and where's boss? He's been gone for a long time." Another goon asked suddenly, he was less afraid of this mission but more curious of it. Harley Quinn had not detailed why she needed hostages or why their main boss had been missing for four weeks. The "keeping them in the dark" routine was getting old. Many of the henchmen were beginning to dislike working like mindless sheep who did as they were told.

Harley turned to glare at the man who had spoken out of turn. "Shut up! Let me do what I need to do." She growled. The henchmen said nothing, returning to his silence and regretting his outburst. Harley turned away from her henchmen and pushed a strand of her hair from her face.

This is getting hard to manage, at first it was easy but now... She sighed to herself. I don't have any more excuses. Harley had done her best to keep her henchmen's suspicions at bay while also dealing with her own emotional worries.

None of the mob had been informed of the Joker's kidnapping, Ivy and Harley had thought it best that it was kept a secret, too much could be lost if the leader of the organisation was in the hands of the enemy. No one had questioned the Joker going missing at first, many thought it to be just another one of his master plans in the working or some crazy new idea. While it was normal for the Joker to disappear from time to time, it wasn't normal for him to be gone for four damn weeks!

It was becoming hard to find excuses for why Gotham's most dangerous man was gone. It was even harder for Harley Quinn to control herself when her best friend was missing.

"Just watch the hostages." Harley stated. "I'll get what I came here for." She held her bat tightly. I will get you back Jack.

"You won't get anything when your behind an Arkham cell." A cold chill entered the room, silence weighed out as the familiar deep voice echoed through the room. Sure, enough the guest of honour had arrived. Harley and the henchmen all looked up, and sure enough there the Dark Knight was, on the ceiling, looking down at them.

"Batman!" Harley yelled. "Finally decided to join us sneaky bastard?" She uttered bitterly at him as he jumped down from the ceiling.

Bruce stood a meter away from the psychotic woman, surrounded by henchmen. Bruce had decided against planning any sort of sneak attack, in fear that the hostages would be hurt. Though Bruce had come in here outnumbered and besides if Harley had something to say to him, he would want to hear it.

"Let the hostages go Harley Quinn." Bruce demanded.

Harley breathed through her nostrils, trying to suppress her rage. She hated the mere sight of him. "No, but you and I are gonna have a talk." She said with a fake smile.

Harley tapped her bat and giggled, "And you're gonna listen Batsy." She demanded.

"What are you up to?" Bruce questioned. He could see the gleam in the mad woman's eyes.

"Follow me and don't think of trying anything because I've ordered them to take these precious citizens out if anything happen to me." She warned. She gestured to the knocked-out hostages that lay scattered across the room, all guarded by at least two henchmen.

Bruce frowned; he could find no way around Harley's demands. The hostages were to spread out for Bruce to do anything and taking on ever henchmen was risky. Bruce looked at the malicious look in Harley's eye, judging from her smile she definitely knew what she was doing.

"Fine." Bruce said, sinking to her demands. Harley commanded for him to follow her into another room closed off from the other hostages and the henchmen.

Bruce looked around the room upon entering, quickly scanning for an exit. He saw a window high up. He kept that in his mind for future reference.

"What do you want?" He barked. Harley turned to face Batman; now alone Harley could wipe away the act. She let her anger bubble to the surface, she glared at him with a look of utter ferocity.

"What do you think I want assehole?" She spat. "I want my friend back." She growled. Bruce fell silent, staring back at the villain. He could see the frustration in her eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He dismissed. It technically wasn't a lie; Bruce didn't know exactly where the Joker was.

Harley huffed with frustration "Where's Joker?" She asked. Bruce said nothing. Harley stomped her foot on the ground at Batman's silence.

"You're gonna give him back!" She yelled.

*********** 🐧🐧

The wheels of the car skidded against the pavement; the vehicle came to an abrupt halt. Ivy and Joker jumped out from the car and ran up the stairs of city hall, stopping at huge doors.

Joker looked at Ivy "So they're in there?" Ivy nodded as she fixed the holster on her thighs, which carried her weapons and assortment of seeds.

"Yeah, we better hurry. The police have probably been alerted about this." Ivy said with alertness, she refused to be caught out like last time. She grabbed the teenager's hand.

"Let's go." Leading him inside the building, Ivy was cautious and vigilante, believing that the fighting had begun already. And quite frankly if they were gonna enter an open battlefield they would have to be careful. Ivy grabbed the handle of the door and swung it open.

"Don't shoot." The two yelled, anticipating the flying of bullets. To their surprise no bullets were fired their way or disgruntled words hurled their way, instead they were met with confused faces of men acquiring machinery.

"Boss?" The henchmen chanted at the same time. Ivy and Joker sighed, relived that they weren't sprayed with bullets. Ivy walked around the room, peering around.

It seems like Batman isn't here yet. That gave her hope that this whole plan could be aborted. We just need to get her and go.

"Where's Harley?" She asked.

"In the other room, with the Batman." The henchmen stated. Ivy and Joker looked at each other instantly, the same chill ran down both of their spines, their worst fear confirmed. The anxiousness subsided as the two nodded each other, they both understood that getting Harley out was their number on priority now. The two began to speed walk to the other room, but they were cut off quickly as a henchman spoke.

"Joker? Is that you boss?" He asked, the henchmen peered at the slim figured man in a purple suit with makeup, after all it couldn't be anyone else.

Joker stopped dead in his tracks, he began to panic as he turned to his henchmen, all of them looked at him wide eyed and waiting for an answer from their boss. "Uhhh yes." He said as he tried to muster the former deepness his voice contained.

"Boss where you been?" The henchmen asked curiously. Joker felt his panic begin to rise even. Well I can't exactly tell you. He shot out the only thing he could think of.

"None of your business." Joker sneered. The henchmen didn't need to be told twice.

"Sorry." The henchmen said falling back. Joker cringed internally, he felt as if he had come off a little mean. Joker looked around and noticed the many people who lay around, he figured they were hostages, they lay helplessly and tied up. They don't deserve this. Joker thought.

Joker turned to his underlings. "You know what don't worry about it, just do me a favour ok. Release the hostages." He stated. The henchmen looked at one another, confusion evident on their faces.

"What?" The said at the same time. "But Harley sai-"

"Let them go and I'll give you all a pay rise." Joker interjected. Clearly these idiots won't answer to reason.

Ivy grabbed Joker by the arm suddenly "What are you doing?" She whispered. Ivy didn't quite understand why letting their only leverage go.

"Don't worry about it, let me handle this." Joker assured. He looked at the henchmen, confirming his order. "Oh, and get out of here while you still can." He warned.

Joker and Ivy watched as the henchmen carried the hostages to safety, carefully placing them on the steps outside for the police to find.

"J brace yourself." Ivy warned as they walked towards the room. Joker gulped, his nerves shooting up high once again. He was scared, very scared but he couldn't quite put his finger on why. Ivy kicked the door; the hinges gave and the two stood in the doorway.

"Step away from her Batman!" Ivy yelled menacingly as she entered the room, her hands lingered over holster, threatening to reach for a weapon if she had to. All heads turned noticing the presence of the newcomers in the room. The atmosphere was chilling and tense as the exchanged glances.

Harley looked at Ivy with a frown "Ivy I told you to.." She immediately stopped as she spotted the figure behind her girlfriend. "Mr J!" Harley exclaimed.

"Harley!" Joker hooted, he hesitantly walked towards her whilst Ivy covered him, blocking any attacks that Batman could implement. Joker's eyes did a quick scan, searching Ivy's body for cuts or bruises. To his relief she looked unharmed.

They haven't fought. Thank goodness! He breathed. Joker speed at Harley, who had had a mixture of surprise and delight in her eyes. Joker's heart felt like it was doing back-flips, seeing her bought a strange sense of joy to him, it almost felt like nostalgia.

"Joker!" Harley squealed whist bounding at him. Her eyes sparkled as they met his, a huge grin grew on her face. Before hugging they paused and looked at each other, Notable grins were plastered on their faces. Both villains stood there for a moment totally unbelieving of their little reunion. Harley could only believe this to be a stroke of luck.

Jack is here, right next to me. Alive and safe. Harley gazed upon her precious friend; she still couldn't believe it. It took a full minute before both concluded their eyes were not playing tricks on them.

"Oh my god! You cinnamon roll, you're alive!" She yelled. Harley dropped her bat and embraced the teenager in a warm hug, Joker hugged back, clinging onto her equally.

"Hey pumpkin, I missed you." Joker said softly. The tenderness of the clown's voice sparked a heart-warming feeling within Harley, hearing his voice made it feel so real.

"Joker what?" Bruce looked back at the teenager in disbelief. He's here..... and dressed up in his old villain suit. Bruce was confused and highly concerned. He felt almost unsettled to see the Joker so close to the criminal responsible for kidnapping the hostages.

Harley turned and glared at the hero; she had almost forgotten he was here. Angry that he had interrupted such a heartfelt moment, she pulled Joker behind her in a protective stance.

"Shut up bastard! You don't get to talk to him after what you've done!"

"How could you kidnap him I thought you were a goody two shoe hero!" Ivy chimed in, also standing in front of Joker protectively. Bruce ignored the insults hurled at him, instead he focused on the Joker who refused to make eye contact with him, he timidly looked away as he felt Batman's gaze land on him.

What is going on? Bruce was feeling a mixture of relief and suspicious, on one hand joker was unharmed and in Bruce's vicinity but on the other hand, he was with Harley Quinn, who Bruce only saw as a threat.

So, it wasn't a coincidence that Harley lights the bat signal and Joker went missing. Bruce took another look at the joker, he noted that there was something off about him. Bruce couldn't explain but he felt as if the clown didn't want to be here.

"The urge I have to smash in your teeth right now." Harley growled.

"Why don't you?" Bruce taunted, knowing the effects of his words, purposely wanting to rattle her.

Harley bit down on her teeth. She couldn't believe the nerve batman had. "I think I'll take you up on your offer." Harley retrieved her bat. Joker yanked at her arm attempting to pull her away.

"Harley wait!" Joker warned. Harley didn't listen as she charged towards Bruce, swinging her bat wildly, trying to land any blow she could. She was fuelled by rage. Bruce had anticipated this, using her sloppy attack against her. Whilst he avoided the edge of her Bat, Bruce managed to get behind her, she had left herself open for an attack.

Harley did not see it coming, Batman struck her vital points with quick a quick movement. The vitals points that were struck were connected to nerves; Harley could feel her body become limp as he lost consciousness. The bat fell from her hand, both her and her weapon reaching the floor at the same time.

Ivy looked at Harley's limp body with terror "What did you do to her?!" She screamed

Just like Harley Quinn her mind wasn't fully focused on combat skills or strategy, she was merely angry, and anger left her susceptible to an easy attack. Bruce took her out with ease, getting rid of the problem so he could finally talk to the Joker.

"Ivy!" Joker squealed, he looked fearful seeing that his two friends were knocked out. Joker looked hesitantly, he despised that the two were face to face and that Batman had easy access to him.

This isn't good. The clown panicked, the plan was to get here and get out, now look what's happened! The chances of getting out were slim now. Besides fear of getting thrown in Arkham the anxiety of being a meter away from his heart breaker was killing him slowly.

It was only a few hours ago, it still hurts. Joker thought. I can't even look at him properly.

But Joker didn't have time to be obsessing over heartbreak, he had to figure out how he would get his friends out. I'll have to fight my way out. Joker concluded, well at least until his friends came to. He looked at Batman with a strong gaze. Isn't this fucking great!

Joker wasted no time in attacking Batman, he was more coordinated then his villain counterparts. He knew he just needed an opening, one K.O punch so that Batman could be immobilised. Bruce was taken aback when the teenager started charging towards him, he was nearly decked in the face because of slow reaction.

Why is he attacking me? Bruce couldn't understand why the Joker was coming at him with such aggression or how they'd gotten into this situation. Joker ignored Batman and continued to hurl an assault of kicks, they proved to be useful as Batman was begin to back away.

"What are you doing?" Bruce yelled, dodging the Joker's punches. "I thought you had changed." Bruce was surprised to see that the clown was dawning his villainous makeup and affiliated with the two criminals.

Joker growled, feeling his anger rise as Batman questioned him, up until this point he had done his best to contain how he felt but that question had opened the flood gates.

"What am I doing? I'm not the two-timing son of a bitch who sold me out!" He growled, aiming for Batman's face. Boy did he want to land a right hook in Batman's face. Bruce swiftly turned to the right; the Joker was slow to react in changing in directions, Bruce grabbed his wrist whilst his other hand firmly grabbed his waist, restricting his movements.

"What are you talking about?" Bruce snapped; he shook the Joker who was struggling in his hands. The teenager thrashed against Batman kicking and squirming like a child.

"Would you calm down for a second!" Bruce said slightly annoyed, he was growing tired of the Joker unexplainable rage. Joker stopped slightly to glare at the hero.

"I heard you talking to Gordon, you said you would hand me in!" He yelled. I heard everything, you thought you could lie to me.

Hand him in? Bruce took time to process what the clown's words, it was only after thinking about it for a while it clicked in his head. He heard me and Gordon speaking that night, he must have thought...

"Joker that's not what you think." Bruce explained quickly. He could now understand why the clown was so mad, it all made sense now. Joker hadn't disappeared, he had ran away.

Joker scoffed. "Oh really? Because I think you used me." He growled, pushing against Batman.

Bruce held him firmly, trying to calm him down. "I never used you, just let me explain." He said calmly. Batman's calm demeanour only enraged the teenager more.

He hurts me and he think he can just sweet talk me? Joker could feel the pain in his chest rise again, the emotions were seeping out. They were still fresh.

"I told you things about me, I told you about who I was, and you go running straight to Gordon!" Joker uttered; he could feel his voice break slowly. The stinging pain was trickling into his speech. He thought he could handle seeing Batman again, but honestly, he couldn't.

Seeing the hero only bought the tsunami of feelings that Joker had thought he could supress, all this action, all this trouble had only distracted him from his feelings.

Bruce could feel the Joker become less fidgety; he could hear the sadness in his voice. "That's not what happened." But his words fell deaf on the Joker's ears.

Joker hung his head, he dared not to look in Batman's eyes. "Did you even like me?" He whispered. "Or was it just a way to get close to me?" Joker asked. Was it all a ploy? Did he ever feel this way towards me?

Bruce could feel guilt well up in his system. "Of course I like you. You just heard it wrong." Bruce had wished that the Joker had stayed longer, he had wished that Joker had heard the full story. But he was partly to blame, Bruce did say he would turn him in, better he never really meant it.

Joker sniffed, "I was open with you, I shared my secrets with you. But what did I expect?" Joker scoffed. What the fuck did I expect? Why would he care? Why would anyone care about me?

Bruce's ear stung at the words "Joker I never in anyway meant to hurt you." He assured. It's just all one big misunderstanding.

Ivy felt her eyes stir open, she sprawled on the cold floor, her body felt heavy, too heavy for her to carry. Ivy managed to look up, she looked around her setting, briefly forgetting where she was. It was only when she saw the figure of the Dark Knight that the fuzzy but recent memories came flooding back. Ivy groaned in pain, blinking through it. She looked at Batman who seemingly was very close to someone.

"What is going on?" Ivy said quietly, she was finding it hard to wrap around her head why the Joker and Batman were in such an "intimate position". Harley woke up soon after and just like Ivy she couldn't get up either. She looked up and saw what she could only describe as scary. Joker was in Batman's grip.

"J get away from him." Harley grunted, her body was still numb and struggled to get up. Unfortunately, her weak voice had been too quiet to hear, Batman and Joker were too busy caught up in their romantic drama to even notice the two women awaken.

"How could I be so dumb? I told you things about me no one else knows. You know everything about me, and I don't even know your name." Hot tears began streaming down the Joker's face, once again being vulnerable had only proved to the Joker it led nowhere good.

"Jack." Bruce said softly. He could hear the anguish in the Joker's voice, it was painful to hear.

Ivy cocked her eyebrow in confusion. "Why does he know your name?" She wondered. Bruce glanced at her frantically. Shit I must have not hit the points hardly enough. He knew his time was limited whatever he needed to say to the Joker, he needed to say now. He needed a gesture, a way to prove that he wasn't going to rat him to Gordon and that he cared deeply for him.

"Joker, you're right, you've given so much, and I've given so little." Bruce sighed. He slowly let go off the teenager's hands and waist. Looking him in the eyes, Bruce decided what he was going to do. It may have been crazy, outlandish, and borderline dangerous but it was the only thing he could pull to make the Joker believe him.

"You've told me who you are." Bruce said "Well this is who I am." Bruce slowly removed his mask and let his face came to light. He looked down at the clown with strong eyes. I trust him.

Joker looked at the familiar face, his tears stopped. "Bruce Wayne?" He gasped. He recognised the handsome face and dark eyes. No way, he can't be.

"The one and only." Bruce smiled.

Harley blinked multiple times before believing her eyes. "Okay what the fuck is going? I am so confused." Harley exclaimed. How they had went from fighting to a face reveal was beyond her.

Joker gazed at Bruce with shock "You're Bruce Wayne?" He couldn't believe it, it was crazy enough for Batman to remove his mask, but what lay underneath the mask was the real shocker.

Joker clutched his head "Oh my god this got a lot more complicated." He breathed.

Bruce shook his head. "No, it's gotten easier." Revealing his identity to the Joker was a huge leap of faith, it was a sign that her cared for him, Bruce hoped that the Joker would see that.

"Please believe me, I wasn't going to hand you in, Gordon figured out and I had to go along I would never turn you in." Bruce promised. Joker searched Batman's eyes for any lies but could find nothing but sincerity. He showed me his face, I know who he is. Joker couldn't find any logic in Batman's action, why would he tell his enemy his identity? He wouldn't have done this unless........

The realisation hit him. "So, you were telling the truth." Joker drew a quivering breathe, "You weren't lying."

Bruce put his hands on the Joker's shoulder. "Like I said I would never hurt you." It was a promise Bruce was willing on keeping.

So, he was never going to hand me to Gordon, he was lying to Gordon. He risked his reputation all for me.

Joker face palmed suddenly. "I'm sorry for freaking out and running away." He realised how childish he sounded, running off and not listening to the full facts. I should have stayed. I'm such an idiot.

"It's fine." Bruce shrugged. "Just don't do it again." He chuckled. No seriously please don't do it again. This was a type of stress he never wanted to feel again. Joker bit his lip; he felt his cheeks go red. He wanted to do something, something to make up for his stupidity, he had one idea. "Hey Bat- Bruce close your eyes." He requested shyly.

"Why?" Bruce asked curiously.

Joker looked down gingerly "Just do it please." He pleaded.

Bruce didn't quite understand but he complied. Joker drew closer, standing on his tip toes. He put his hands-on Bruce's shoulder's. Their noses were touching. Joker felt nervous as his lip gently grazed Batman's.

JUST DO IT! Joker went in for the kiss without hesitation, he placed his lips against Batman's. It was a chaste and quick kiss but still it left butterflies in the teenager's stomach. Joker pulled away, looking to the floor. Bruce's eyes widened, he smiled, touching where the Joker had kissed.

"That was a pleasant surprise." He remarked. That was nice, very nice.

"Okay now things have just gotten weirder." Ivy remarked. "Am I the only one who saw that or am I on crack?" She looked at Batman and the Joker who were ogling each other, Ivy gasped with disbelief. She couldn't distinguish where her shocks was coming from. She had just seen Batman's true identity and now he was kissing the Joker?

Harley glared up Bruce. "What did you do to him Bastard!?" She growled, now fully regained of her muscles, she charged at Bruce.

"No, no, no Harley stop I can explain." Joker jumped in front of Batman, stopping him.

"Why did he just kiss you?" Ivy was still in a stasis of shock but managed to get up.

Joker shrugged, a little blush creeping on his face. "Technically I kissed him." He corrected.

"That still doesn't stop me from wanting to bash his head in." Harley interjected, leering forward.

Joker scratched his head. "Well, i'm. i-i." He found it hard to explain it. How am I going to explain this? He wondered.

Bruce stepped in front of Joker, "What Jack is trying to say is, that we like each other a lot." He held the teenager hand, pulling him close. He knew this thing was complicated, but he knew he had to explain.

"Wait, wait, what the fuck?" Harley shrieked in anger. "Are you two dating?" She cried.

Joker looked at Batman momentarily, searching for the right words. "Sort of." He finally said. He defiantly felt something for the Joker, but classifying what it was, wasn't as easily as done. Harley covered her mouth over her hand, she felt as if she could faint again.

"Now I'm convinced that something is wrong." She said blinking multiple times. How do these two like each other aren't they meant to enemies? She found it unfathomable to say the least, almost disgusting in fact.

"No, it isn't, pumpkin me and him spent the past weeks together and kinda fell for each other." Joker explained, a little smile crept on his face as he did so. Those weeks truly were something else. Harley on the other hand couldn't see the beauty of this relationship. Her insides were twisting with rage, in her eyes this was a betrayal, the biggest betrayal.

Harley scoffed "That' where you were?" She paced around, her frustration teetering on the edge. "In batman's captivity whilst he was seducing you?" She sneered.

Joker rolled his eyes. "No, it's not like that. Look I have a lot to explain."

"You do." Ivy chimed in, who was just as confused and bordering annoyed. The two women looked at each other, the same matched look of indignation clearly painted on their faces. The look screamed "we better get a fucking explanation."

But just like most things fate wasn't on their sides. Just then a wailing noise tore away the silence, the familiar sound of authority droning Blair could be heard outside.

"The cops are here!" Joker could hear the sirens outside. We should probably skedaddle. I don't think they'll be patient enough to let me explain my romantic situation to my friends.

"The hostages!" Bruce recalled, turning to the Joker. He couldn't just leave them with the henchmen alone and defenceless.

"Don't worry we freed them." Joker assured.

Bruce sighed with relief. "Then let's go." He grabbed the Joker's hand, ready to escape from the window exit, but he soon stopped when he saw the clown resisting slightly. Joker halted, stopping both of the from walking.

"Batman I can't. I've spent four weeks with you and I'm gonna need a while to explain things." Joker said, gesturing to his friends who weren't exactly thrilled with the idea of Batman dragging their friend off again.

Bruce looked at the criminals, feeling rather frustrated, he was torn. He wasn't on board with the idea of letting them take the Joker away but on the other hand, he had done it to them. They had kidnapped innocent civilians, but it was just to get their friend back. Ughhh fine. Bruce groaned internally. I'll let Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy go just this one time.

"Alright." Bruce muttered bitterly. He was salty, he didn't know when he would see the Joker again. Joker thanked him, a wide grin on his face, Bruce smiled back, he couldn't stay mad when the Joker smiled at him like that.

"I'll see you." He said pulling the teenager close. Joker grinned gingerly at the thought of their next rendezvous.

"I'll see you then." Joker promised. With a surge of confidence, he gave Bruce a parting kiss on his cheek. Bruce smirked before putting his mask. I guess I can wait. He thought. As long as I get more kisses like those. Bruce took one final look at the Joker, then went his separate way. Joker watched as Batman descended into the night, he smiled, feeling his heart flutter. Harley watched the clown, noticing the sloppy puppy love look on his face.