14- SUSPICIOUS

As the days passed and two days bleed into three Alfred's suspicion notably increased. Alfred was in Bruce's study, cleaning and tending to house maintenance when sudden thoughts compelled him, his curiosity becoming of him. Alfred peered around the room, undoubtedly, he was alone, Bruce had gone out for another tedious day at work and wouldn't be home until later hours. The butler looked down at the piano in the room, he knew the code entrance, three quick and easy notes was it all took. Alfred wanted to go down there for quite some time to investigate what his master had been doing down there. Bruce, time and time again had urged Alfred not be concerned, stating it was a matter of the Batman but Alfred felt otherwise, he was riddled with concern for Bruce. Day in and day out Alfred watched as Bruce spent most of his time in the bat cave, questioning the Joker futilely and returning angry or displeased. Alfred was beginning to worry about Bruce's mental health. Alfred looked at the bookshelf that hid the an entrance to the bat cave, he was afraid to know but needed to know.

I'm worried about him, yesterday he didn't even eat lunch he just went straight for the bat cave. What was more worrying also was Bruce's decline mood. Alfred couldn't quite put his finger on it be he felt as if the mood of his master had changed and it was not for the better.

I better go down there, just to have a look. Alfred needed to know why this was happening, to know what was happening. What was the Joker doing to Bruce?

Alfred put his duties to a halt. He played the notes on the piano, the book case in front of him shifted, revealing a secret room. Alfred gingerly entered, walking down the dark and steep pathway it was light enough for him to see. As Alfred approached the main space of the bat cave he felt his nerves accelerate, he would be approaching the madman responsible for the city's torment along with Bruce's. He had to be careful, he wasn't blessed to be skilled with martial arts like Batman was. Alfred froze he found the surgical table where Joker originally lay, he was asleep. Alfred cautiously tip toed towards the villain. As he got closer, he smelt a something the air. A beastly smell wafted around the room. Alfred covered his nose.

What the hell is this smell? Alfred eyed the Joker, wondering if the smell was coming from the him. Despite knowing the dangerous nature of the clown, Alfred moved closer. He did a good job keeping a distance but he was close enough to see the diminished state of the former clown was in, his back was turned to Alfred, body scrunched up into a ball.

Dear god. Alfred breathed he looked at the Joker carefully, his clothes were too big for him and they were messy, the looked over worn. The stench was definitely coming from the clown, it smelt of must and sweat, as if he hadn't showered in days.

Well it does makes sense he has been down here for three days.

Alfred stood, unmoving for a second, he was unsure of what to do. He didn't quite understand what to do now the Joker was asleep. He had come down here expecting a crazy lunatic that would heckle him, but he found nothing.

I shouldn't be here; Bruce would be mad. Alfred thought, this was Batman's business not his, Batman would handle it how he would handle it. Alfred turned his heel ready to leave when a sudden yell tore through the bat cave.

"Please don't hit me." The Joker screamed in his sleep he sounded terrified and in utter torment. Alfred stopped in his tracks, he turned around the screams had caught his attention. Alfred watched as the joker tossed and turned in his sleep, he moved around relentlessly as if something in his dreams was out to kill him. The butler watched uncomfortably. He could only wonder what made the clown sound as if he was in anguish.

"I'm sorry! Please just don't!" The Joker yelled whilst still in his sleep, he covered his face with his hand protectively. Alfred found it unbearable to watch, sure he didn't like the clown he still would never wish this on his worst enemy.