43- LURKING

Back in Gotham:

"The toxin didn't work." Scarecrow hummed to himself. He added another vial to his beaker, carefully administering a second dose. He smiled as the liquid mixed with the other caused the contents to fizz up.

He sighed, then took off his glasses. "But it did something, I just don't know what." As Scarecrow stood in his lab, he thought about the Joker.

Something changed had hanged about the clown, something physical, something emotional. But he couldn't quite put his finger on it. His last encounter had left him thinking, wondering, hoping.

Everything the Joker said and every little gesture action he performed was permanently ingrained in his mind.

He needed my help, he needed me. Scarecrow thought just as he had told himself on countless other nights. Back when he was locked up it was the only thing that had kept him going in his jail cell. But now that he was out, his feelings and thoughts only amplified.

Scarecrow laughed to himself. He tried to kill me, he tried to kill me, But yet I can't get him out of my mind. I must be crazy.

He licked his lips. "Crazy" was fitting considering the person he was in love with. The Joker was nothing but crazy!

But no matter what the clown could do, the psychologist felt like he could never hate him.

Scarecrow looked at the wall, needing to see him, needing a confirmation that he was still in his reach. Pinned up against his wall was the photo of the Joker and him. He had placed it there, to remind himself that this is what he was working towards, the end goal, the grand prize.

The two were locked into a kiss, the clown though was facing him with eyes closed had his middle finger pointed at the camera.

Jonathan laughed. He remembered the day perfectly. Harley had taken the photo.

Scarecrow: "Why do you want to take a photo of us together?"

Joker: "Because we don't have any together."

Scarecrow: "But why specifically kissing?"

Joker: "Because it's romantic!"

Scarecrow: "Your elation and obligatory need to capitalize off our relationship always astounds me."

Joker: "Oh baby you know I love when you speak all nerdy."

Scarecrow: "You're still gonna pester aren't you? Fine, let's get this over and done with."

Joker: "Thanks baby say cheese."

The memory faded from his mind, leaving a lingering feeling of warmth but a bitter aftertaste of regret. Scarecrow reminisced, he thought and contemplated on what could have been.

Oh, we could have been great. He thought.

He sighed again, knowing he couldn't dwell on what could have been.

"Where are you? He looked at the photo of the clown, gazing and analyzing every detail, his little smile, his cheeky mannerism all so alluring to the man.

I would do anything to find you, anything to make you mine. Anything.

It was absolutely killing scarecrow that he knew nothing about the whereabouts of the clown, no knowing whether he was safe or even if he was alive but what was killing him the most was that he was last seen with Batman, or translated correctly in scarecrow's mind, last seen with "another man"

Scarecrow bit down on his teeth. "You're mine." He muttered, it nearly came out in a deep growl, the desire and need was oozing from his voice. He couldn't hide it, how couldn't hide how much he wanted the Joker.

He's mine, mine. And nobody else's. Another look at the photo only fuelled his possessive behavior, the photo made him determined. He would have the clown again no matter how long it took.

"I'll find you." He whispered with a small smile, he felt pleasantly determined. "I always do."

Scarecrow stopped talking as he heard footsteps approach him, the metal door creaked as it was open indicating he wasn't alone anymore. He composed himself, finally looking away from the photo.

"Do you still have a blueprint of Gotham's water main?" He asked back turned to the recipient in the room.

"Yes, before you got busted we took it from city hall." A voice spoke.

Scarecrow nodded. "Good, we may have been set back but we can still do this."

The plan can still go ahead.

"Alright boss." The voice said, before leaving. Their footsteps echoed through the corridor until they could no longer finally be heard.

Scarecrow looked around the room, admiring his work fondly.

The walls were covered in blueprints and sheets all covered with his perfectly analyzed and well thought out plan.

A wide grin extended across his face. "This will be my greatest plan, that will earn me my greatest prize."