18- NIGHT TERRORS

Alfred hoped the Joker liked steak. He usually never asked the Joker on his dietary preferences, but then again the Joker never commented or requested anything, he would eat up all the food Alfred cooked him gratefully.

Well I just hope he likes steak. Alfred thought as he made his way into the bat cave. As he walked down the narrow path, Alfred could hear mumbling and slight noise coming from the table Joker slept on. Alfred thought nothing at first, he knew Joker mumbled in his sleep, but as Joker's mumbles got louder Alfred's worry grew suddenly. Joker was once again having night terrors.

"Please don't touch me!" Joker yelled from his sleep. Alfred was startled by the commotion, he watched again as the clown shouted in his sleep

"Mr Tate no! Get off of me!" The Joker pleaded, he moved around on the table. The sight distressed Alfred, reminding him of previous times he had come into the bat cave to find Joker having a nightmare. Alfred never asked the clown what they were about, perhaps the questions were to evasive. But now the butler was convinced that this was something specific haunting the Joker in his sleep. For no random nightmare could make anybody twist in anguish like that, and secondly Alfred heard Joker yell the name Mr Tate out once again, Alfred had heard the name multiple times, he suspected the Joker feared this so called Mr Tate

Alfred placed the tray away briefly, walking towards the Joker carefully. He shook his gently, trying to rouse him out of his sleep. Whatever the clown was seeing Alfred did not want him to see it any longer.

"Get off! No don't touch me there!" The Joker continued to yell, Alfred's attempts were failing.

"I said no!" The Joker cried out. Alfred's eyes widened, he himself was scared. Who was Mr Tate and why was he touching the Joker? Alfred didn't have to contemplate.

"Joker!" He yelled loudly, shaking the Joker continuously. He tried to wake him up.

"Joker!" He yelled. Finally the Joker broke away from his sleep, he shot up from the table, sitting up gasping for air as if he was restricted. He shook as tears fell down his eyes, he looked completely broken.

"Aghh I'm sorry it won't happen again Mr Tate!" He sobbed eyes closed. Alfred heart ached at the sight, the Joker still thought he was trapped in a horrible dream.

"Joker your dreaming." He reassured softly, trying not to scare the clown. Joker slowly opened his eyes, still shaking with fear of his dreams, this dream in particular had left him frightened. He looked around, seeing Alfred's comforting face and the surroundings of the bat cave. His panic went down as the memories began to flood away, slowly.

You're not in that house, you're not in the house. It was a sentence Joker found himself repeating over and over each time he had these little episodes. As his heart returned to its normal pace, he wiped his tears from his eyes. Once again as the feeling of fear left, the feeling of patheticness washed over him, he felt ashamed.

Alfred's seen me relapse again. And just when I thought I was getting better. Joker thought bitterly. Alfred watched as the Joker shakily tried to compose himself.

"I must have looked real dumb huh?" Joker said, trying to make light of the situation, but his voice came out as depleted and cracked. It worried the butler that the clown felt the need to be strong or constantly ok to make sure that he wasn't uncomfortable.

"Don't say that." Alfred said sternly, he was concerned for the Joker, concerned about this constant pattern of victim shaming, and fake smiles. Joker who was tired of speaking about his emotional state, wanted desperately to change the topic.

"Why are you here?" He asked, trying to strike up a conversation.

"To feed you." Alfred replied smoothly, it was what he had been doing after all. Joker sighed; the feelings of shame had still not disappeared.