39- TROUBLE

Bruce sat back against his seat; he was deep in concentration as jotted he down his latest economical conquest. Business as usual had him swamped and because of his latest fiasco of constantly skipping work, he had to make up for it with tireless stock exchanges and marketing plans.

Still it could be worse. Bruce thought. I could have actually gone to work today. Anything was better than going to work.

He was content nevertheless; the day had started off rather well. Alfred had gone out to buy groceries which meant that him and Jack could get some alone time, which Bruce had thoroughly enjoyed, and now he was only a quarter way halfway through his millionth paper. Life was subsequently good.

Nothing can go wrong. Bruce smiled. Nothing at all. And then he heard a loud bang accompanied by an ear shattering smash, he had spoken to soon. Bruce felt his muscles tense up, he jumped from his seat and immediately bolted out of his study. He stood in the hallway, listening, and waiting. A moment of silence passed until he concluded he mind hadn't made up the noise. He looked downward; the noise had very much come from downstairs.

Jack! Was Bruce's second and immediate thought. A trickle of worry was slowly planted within him. Is he okay? Was that him? But it was quickly diminished as he realised that the Joker was upstairs, in his room taking a nap. Bruce looked down the stairway again.

He wondered if it was Alfred. But would the butler be back so early? And if so what would he be doing that could causes that noise?

Then what was that? Intruders, robbers? It didn't matter because he was going to find out. Bruce crept down the stairs, in an alert rush he followed where he thought the sound had come from. The noise was so loud, so crisp, it tore through the entire house. His instincts lead him to the parlour. He placed his ear against the door, there was a shuffling behind it and low whispers.

There's someone in there. This was strange, unanticipated, no one had ever broken into Wayne manor, ever. It was something that Bruce hadn't expected. And here I thought I would have a good day. He sighed.

Bruce inhaled deeply, whoever was behind he was going to face. He pushed the door open aggressively and stood in the doorway. With apprehension he scanned the room, his eyes widened suddenly as soon as he saw it, or more accurately "them."

"Harley Quinn?" Bruce growled, he glared at her where she stood. Behind her was Ivy who was gingerly waving at Bruce, she tried to smile but felt too guilty to do so.

"What are you doing here?" He asked voice full of malice.

Harley simply flicked her hair from her face and smiled. "Popping in for a little visit, Brucie." Her tone was just as bitter as her smile.

"How did you get in?" Bruce questioned. His security system was impenetrable, and he didn't exactly think Harley Quinn was at the same level of master mind that the Joker was.

"Does it matter?" Harley replied dusting her clothes. Bruce raised his eyebrow; he'd noticed she'd been dusting off her clothes since she gotten here. He examined the floor, there were tiny glass everywhere, all the windows were busted and behind Ivy was a large vine entangling itself around the window.

So that's how they got in. They used the vine. A vine beat my security system. He scoffed.

"Where's Jack?" Harley asked, getting to the point instantly, she turned her attention to her surroundings. Thoroughly checking the room. Where is that boy?

"Where else would he be?" Bruce asked with confusion evident on his face. Harley and Ivy looked at each other briefly.

"Did you kidnap him again?" Harley accused. I haven't see him in two weeks, no call, no text. Nobody's seen him.

At first it was just a tingling feeling that both women felt, Harley and Ivy had tried not worry but because after the Joker's previous actions, they weren't willing to take another chance. So the two went to the only place they could think of.

Wayne manor, it's the only plausible theory.

"I didn't kidnap him... again." Bruce replied. Damn that sentence doesn't sound too good in my head.

"Then, where is he?" Ivy scratched her head and once again looked back at Harley, in her mind none of this made sense, none of it at all.

There was now a looming silence in the room, as all three said nothing. The tension was building, nobody knew what the fuck was going.

Is he lying? Harley questioned.

Where is he? Ivy thought.

What is going on? Bruce wondered.

"Harley, Ivy?" A voice spoke suddenly, breaking the silence. All heads turned in the same direction, Joker looked at the trio with his arms crossed, he had no idea why there was glass on the floor or why he'd just walked into such a tense room. He'd only walked in after hearing a loud band and yelling coming from downstairs.

"Jack?" Ivy said with a small smile, she was relieved to see him. Harley however wasn't as thrilled.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned. Joker causally walking into the room was not what she wanted to see.

Joker blinked nervously at the question. "What are you doing here?" He asked deflecting her question. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! What is she doing here?

"Wait." Bruce said suddenly looking at the teenager, he gauged the anxiousness from the Joker's demeanour. Wait a minute, why are they so surprised that he's here? Unless...

"You didn't tell her?" He inferred. Joker awkwardly laughed in response. Bruce face palmed immediately. Judging by that look it's definitely a yes.

"Tell her what?" Harley interjected suspiciously. She looked between the two every passing second, she did not receive an answer she only become more agitated. They're hiding something.

Joker stepped in front of Bruce "I think we should all just calm down for a second." He advised, he could feel the tension begin to rise again and it wasn't good.

"What didn't you tell us Jack?" Harley said with a bit more vice. She was dying to know.

Crap, crap, crap. Joker cursed internally. She's not going to be happy that I lied. He feared Harley's wrath, it seemed this was the second time he would be telling her of news she was going to hate.

Joker looked back at Bruce, who flashed him the: "I would love to help but this is your mess, you fix it face." before looking down at the floor. This was between the Joker and Harley; Bruce didn't wasn't about to get caught in the crossfire.

"Funny story actually." Joker began with a jovial laugh, although it didn't help ease the situation.

"What is it J?" Ivy asked, she also was dying to know.

Joker swallowed hardly; his lies were catching up to him. He need to come clean now. She's gonna kill me. Joker thought. He knew she would disprove greatly, heck she didn't even like Bruce!

He sighed and closed his eyes; there was no going back now.

"I moved in with Bruce." Joker admitted quickly. He clenched his fists, awaiting Harley's unbridled rage.

"You what?!" She screamed. Sure enough she had delivered, her voice had no shortage of anger.

"Please don't be mad." Joker quickly added. Harley became mute, her left eye began to twitch. She said nothing but began to pace around the room.

"That's a little sudden." Ivy said not as angry but just a little surprised. They've been dating but to move in, it's so sudden. She commented.

Just sudden? Just sudden? Harley had reached her boiling point. You could say it's fucking sudden!

"You have got to be kidding me?!" She growled. Joker cringed internally. He was definitely going to die

"Harley don't blow this out of proportion. It was my choice." He said in a low voice, trying not anger her anymore.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Ivy asked, she would have thought something this big needed to be hashed out between them.

Joker scratched the back of his head. You wonder why I didn't want to tell. He looked at Harley was trotting around like a raging bull. That's why I didn't tell you.

"I was going to.... I just."

"Just what? Wanted to keep another secret?" Harley scoffed. She folded her arms and tapped her foot on the ground. "God how does he persuade you to do this?"

Joker put his hands up defensively. "I wanted to do this." He said truthfully.

Ivy sighed loudly, massaging her head. "Really think about this J. Maybe you haven't thought it through?" It is a big decision. I mean Harley and I didn't even move into together until the third year of our relationship.

"Maybe he has." Bruce chimed in. He put his hand on Joker's shoulder and smiled, he had his back. Upon hearing that Harley nearly gagged. She turned to Bruce with a glare.

"Oh, of course you're so supportive." She said snarkily. You fucking probably coerced him into it.

Bruce frowned. "What's that's supposed to mean?" He questioned.

Harley scoffed. "Don't you have any shame? He's 17 you perv!" She shot at him.

Bruce bit down on his teeth, feeling his annoyance rise. Joker could see the agitation on Bruce's face. He read between the lines and what he saw was an altercation in the making.

"Through no choice of my own." Joker reminded, after all being seventeen wasn't his choice.

Bruce ignored him and glared at Harley. "I know that and intend to respect him." He said firmly. He wasn't about to let her shame him on something he already felt ashamed about.

Joker looked at Ivy with look of desperation, his face screamed I need help. Ivy nodded; she didn't want a fight to begin.

"Guy we should take a deep breath." Ivy said loudly, standing next to Joker between the two. However, that didn't seem to help, Harley and Bruce continued to glare at each other.

"You know you're a real piece of work." Harley chuckled bitterly. I hate this assehole, now he wants J to move in with him?

"You're not the best of the best either." Bruce replied with an equal sentiment of bitterness.

"Awww that really hurt me Brucie. What are you gonna do, get daddy to fire me?" Harley purposely mocked.

A vein twitched in Bruce's forehead. "Watch your mouth!" He warned. The comment had stung. It had stung a lot.

"Make me." Harley shot back, taking a step forward.

"I'm warning you." He growled. He lumbered forward, equally challenging Harley as she was challenging him. Now he could tolerate her digs, but she had broken into his house and she was not going disrespect him.

"Oh, you're approaching me? Instead of running away you're coming right to me? Come as close as you like bitch." Harley demanded.

"That's it." Bruce yelled.

"Wait! You don't have to do this!" Joker yelled pushing Bruce back.

"Apparently I do." He replied, Joker's force was nothing in comparison to Bruce's. He pushed aside the petite teenager with ease. Harley was doing the same, charging forward past Ivy despite her girlfriend's protest.

Joker looked at Ivy for help, he was barley managing to restrain Bruce. Ivy rolled her eyes, rather annoyed. You would think they were babies! She huffed.

A vine tore through the room quickly. It Separated Harley and Bruce before even they made contact.

"Both of you need to cool down, Harley don't be so hot headed." Ivy commanded, restricting both of them.

"Put your friend on a fucking leash!" Bruce shouted in his blind rage.

"Suck my ass rich boy!" Harley yelled back.

Bruce scoffed. "Aren't you a mature little freak?"

"Ugh!" Harley growled, she really wanted to kick his ass. "I should tell everyone who you are, you little shit!" She threatened. She was really contemplating it, she really wanted to punish him.

"Why don't you?" Bruce challenged. "Go ahead."

"Because this who J likes, and we will respect that." Ivy's raised her as she voice spoke over the two. Harley huffed whilst looking to the floor.

"First he gets you to quit the mob and now he wants you to move in? I am so done." Harley said quietly.

Joker sighed loudly, shaking his head. "Harley it was my choice, I decided it."

"What does this simp have over you?" Harley wondered. She still couldn't believe that the Joker would willingly want to live with him.

"So, you're really moving in with him?" Ivy asked again.

"Yes." Joker said softly. "And I'm not changing my mind."

Bruce shot a petty triumphant smile in Harley's direction. Harley growled and replied by giving him the middle finger, she mouthed the words "fuck you."

Ivy scratched the back of her neck. "Well I can't argue with your decision. But I can't say I approve." She admitted. It was little quick for her liking and she really believed he hadn't thought it through.

"Look just don't forget to visit us." Ivy requested. Joker smiled and nodded.

"Always." He replied.

"At least one of your friends is level-headed." Bruce muttered.

"Go die in a hole." Harley screeched.

"You do the same." Bruce said sincerely.

Ivy chuckled nervously. "Ummm chile anyways. I think that's enough visits for today. Sorry for the intrusion." She still had Harley wrapped up in her vine but untangled Bruce and let him go.

Ivy decided they needed to scram, there was no way they could properly discuss this with Harley raging the way she was. We'll talk about it later.

"I still hate you." Ivy yelled being carried out the window. "We'll still gonna talk about this later J!"

"I love you." J yelled, he only hoped Harley still loved him.

"Look i'm sorry they broke into your house." Joker sighed. He turned to Bruce with a sad look in his eye. He felt rather guilty as he looked around at the mess that was left behind, not to mention the emotions that had been left running high.

Bruce ran his hand through his hair. "No, it's not your fault, I should have known this would happen. He sighed. I had miscalculated about the repercussions.

Joker shook his head. "Yeah but you couldn't anticipate that she would do this!"

"I don't care about that." Bruce interjected. Although this is something Harley Quinn would do. "Forget about it. Are you okay?" He asked.

Joker looked to the floor. "My best friend and the guy I like are fighting, of course i'm not okay." He admitted. He desperately hoped they could get along. At first the Joker had thought Harley only disliked Bruce but now he was sure that she hated him.

My best friend and the guy I like are fighting. Could things get any worse?

****************** 🐧🐧

The prison guard stopped at the 58th cell that was closed off from the others. He stood at the cell with a platter of food in his hand and annoyed expression plastered on his face.

"Hey freak, here's your dinner." He called. The figure behind the cell said nothing, he slumped against the wall head in his lap, legs crossed. Like he had been doing so for weeks now.

The guard cleared his throat against the cage. "Oi, I said here's your dinner." He retaliated again, slightly annoyed. Once again, he received no answer.

The guard growled in frustration; he slammed the food to the floor in a fit of rage.

"Starve for all I care." He spat. It's not the first time you refused to eat, and it won't be the last. The prisoner still said nothing, the yelling or the platter hitting the floor had not phased him. He was used to it by now, he knew keeping his head down was the only option he had, until he had a good opportunity.

The guard hung around watching the former criminal, he'd always found this particular inmate to be interesting at first, but he was growing tired of his silence. Think you're too good for us eh?

"How the mighty have fallen. Huh freak." He chastised, trying to stir a reaction. He just wanted one little reaction, one little look. He had heard so much about this twisted man that seeing him so boring, so mundane was very irritating.

The guard rolled his eyes. "So, you're not gonna say anything?" He questioned. There was no fun in bullying someone who had no reaction. The guard looked at the inmate with cold eyes.

"Pathetic scum." He muttered. He turned away from the cell, bored and displeased. It was then he nearly collided with another person. Another guard was right in front of him, standing silently.

"What the fuck?" The guard yelled. He was startled, he had not seen this guard or heard him approach, he had not heard keys jangle or footsteps.

The guards hand lingered at his gun. "Identify yourself, and what are you doing here?" He demand. He scanned the other man, sizing him up. He was younger, and shorter than he was but there was something off putting about him, off-putting about his silence and demeanour.

The man looked at him calmly. "I'm the transfer. I've been put in this time slot to watch the prisoner." He explained. The guard made a face of confusion.

"You, are you dumb? It's my watch time. Didn't the warden brief you through this?" The guard questioned.

The man shrugged. "I must have not been properly briefed." He said distantly. He appeared to not be phased by the threatening tone of the guard.

"Clearly." The guard spat still a little rattled. The guard stopped then looked up at him again, he found this man very strange.

"If you were briefed, how come I didn't see you this morning?" He didn't recall seeing them at this morning's meeting.

The man said nothing. Now the guard felt suspicious.

"Lemme see your ID kid." The guard requested.

"Is that necessary?" The man in replied, his eyes flickered to the cell with the inmate.

"I said lemme see your ID." The guard demanded once more but this time more loudly. The man didn't even reach for his pocket, he just looked at the guard's holster where he kept the gun. The guard grew tired of not receiving an answer he stepped forward suddenly.

"Are you dea-" His sentence was cut short however as the man lunged at him, in flash he was upon the guard. He hit with a metal weapon that was followed by a static crackle. The guard fell to the floor, there was no yell just a thud. The man looked down at him and examined the body.

"He's down now, you can get up."

The inmate looked up, he yawned and stood up. Though his head had been down, his ears weren't as oblivious. He listened to the little conversation, silently waiting.

"Finally, I was getting tired of his yapping." He said as he stood behind the bars. He placed his hand against the bars and smiled.

"Scarecrow." The man said politely. Scarecrow grinned with a devilish look in his eyes, it had been a while since anyone had addressed him by his proper alias. It felt good, it felt powerful. This little show of everyday inmate had amused him for a while, but he ready for a different change.

"Gag him." Scarecrow ordered.

He was ready to leave this hellhole.

Joker had wondered if things could worse, indeed they could.