21- MISUNDERSTANDING

There was an enormous pause of silence in the room, both Alfred and the Joker said nothing. The Joker was numb from relieving the experience and Alfred dejected from hearing something so terrible, neither one knew what to say to other. It was only until Alfred looked up at the clown and noticed the tears streaming down his cheeks, he decided to say something, but even then, he was still unsure of what to say. The tears ran down the Joker's face as he stared at the floor, he felt empty, very empty.

"Jack I'm so sorry, that happened to you" Alfred felt a lump in his throat form, even he found it hard to speak, hearing something so despicable made him shake, he looked down at his hands, the hadn't stopped shaking since the Joker had ended story. the Joker explaining his past and telling of his trauma left Alfred appalled.

"Don't be, it's not your fault." The Joker sniffed, eyes cold and disconnected. He felt like he was drowning, drowning once more in the memories. Here in the same dark place of when he was 17, being 17 once again, also didn't help. He felt like this 17-year-old body was the same one that had been violated long ago. A cold chill ran down her spine, it was all he could feel. He didn't want to get up, he didn't want to move at all. In that moment it took all the strength he had not break and cry than more than he already was, he had only let small tears out because they bought him some relief and solace.

"They shouldn't have done that to you." Alfred repeated, it was all he could think to say, he was disgusted by the act, absolutely unnerved. For him to be so young, so innocent. Alfred now knew how the Joker must really felt, he understand why such a man could have such hate towards the world.

The world had broken him, the world had broken such an innocent boy and he had become a monster.

"I know." Joker said his tongue felt dry, throat parched and lumpy. "Alfred can we not talk can we just sit here and listen to silence." He begged the butler with a pleading voice. He felt dead inside, Joker stared at his lap, he had been doing so for hours, he really wasn't in the mood to talk. The butler wanted to ask a million questions, he wanted to know what happened to the Joker after he passed out, he wanted to know if the men had gotten justice, he wanted to know if his mother found out, he was burning with concern but Alfred took one look at the young boys face and decided otherwise.

"If that's what you want." Alfred insisted. If Joker wanted to listen to silence Alfred would comply until the clown said otherwise. The Joker sniffed, closing his eyes.

"Thank you."

********🐧🐧

As Bruce drove to the bat cave, he only had two thoughts on his mind. 1- he would never go on another business trip with his colleagues and 2- what had gone on in Gotham while he was gone? Whilst Bruce stayed in Venice for his tedious trip, he had kept multiple tabs on the city since his departure, listening to new bulletins apprehensively and occasionally checking in with commissioner Gordon. So far things had been pretty peaceful, the mobs movement had been limited since their ring leader was captured, the Scarecrow was embolized, and so far Harley Quinn and poison Ivy had been in hiding. But still the duties of the Batman wouldn't stop there, he scarcely worried for Alfred who was alone in Wayne manor just above the imprisoned clown. Bruce was worrisome about leaving the Joker alone in the bat cave. Yes all the weapons were put away and the exits were sealed but a week with the absence of the Batman could have been a breeding ground for the Joker to have some bad ideas, bad idea Bruce hoped that Alfred wouldn't get sucked into.

He better not have gotten up to anything. Or I'll. Bruce felt his hand grip the steering wheel in annoyance. Irritation went hand in hand when he often thought about the Joker, Bruce would have thought a week away from the clown's madness would have helped him but it seemed with the constant nagging of his work and paperwork he didn't feel any less annoyed at the Joker. Still Bruce would still go into the bat cave.