Distraction

Y/n's pov:

You had arrived at the office a few hours ago and avoided everyone. Being alone was the only thing you wanted right now. It helped you clear your mind. You were still scared about being the next Alpha, but that was not your main problem. The image of your dead mother still roamed around in your head and you couldn't think about something else. Your heart was broken. Work should be able to distract you, or so you thought, but everything in the office reminded you of your mother. You still could smell her perfume. The scent was weak but still filled the rooms.

"Hey you, are you coming? It's lunch." You heard Sua's voice, as you looked out of the window with a blank expression.

"Go alone. I'm not hungry." You replied in a low tone, without looking at her.

Her steps came closer and you felt her hand on your cheek. You looked at her and noticed how close she was.

"What is wrong? You would never skip lunch when it is taco day." Sua pointed out while concern was written all over her face.

"I should tell her the truth." You thought.

"Something happened." You admitted after a long pause.

"Okay? Are you comfortable to share it with me?" Sua asked.

You nodded. Sua took a chair and placed it in front of you. She must've noticed that it was something serious. The small girl sat down and took your hand.

"Take your time." She gave you a soft smile.

Sua's pov:

Y/n was not the person to tell her problems to other people. Sua knew that, but she also noticed that Y/n opened up to the people around her since she was married. Y/n took a deep breath and looked at the ground.

"My mother died." She said in a low tone.

"What?" Sua was surprised.

"My mom died yesterday," Y/n said again.

Sua was shocked about the news and leaned back in her chair. Her hand still held Y/n's, as tears started to build in her eyes.

"Is it realy true?" Sua thought.

The small girl knew that Y/n's mother was sick,  but she never thought she could die. The older woman was like a mother to her. Sua loved her.

"I'm sorry." Sua managed to say.

Y/n quickly looked up and gave her a sad smile.

"It's okay. She is no longer suffering." Y/n replied.

Sua nodded and let the tears stream down her face.

"Can I say goodbye to her?" The small girl wanted to know.

"Her ash is at home. I will ask my father." Y/n replied.

"How is he?" Sua wanted to know.

"Broken." The other girl replied.

I guess that is the reason for you to be the boss today." Sua pointed out.

"Yeah, I needed distraction and my father was too heartbroken to come in today." Y/n agreed.

The room turned silent and Sua didn't know what to say. Usually, she was loud and always talked about something, but the bad news hit her right in the heart. Meanwhile, Y/n's face was an unreadable mask of emotions.

"I need to go back to work," Y/n said after a few minutes passed.

"Tell me if you need something," Sua replied and stood up.