Chapter 5

SAANCHI

'Pacchi... slowly...' I held onto Riya Pacchi's shoulder for support and made her walk towards the main entrance. My eyes fell on the faded red colored board of the apartment building.

It read...GULMOHAR.

I gulped at once and then my eyes fell on the kids who were cycling on jogging tracks. Some ladies were sitting on the wooden benches by the garden area and chatting amongst themselves. There were huge mango trees in the garden area. One of which was planted by us on Lohri. A smile spread across my face.

'Saanchi... Is that you?' I turned around and noticed Mrs Iyer standing there trying to analyse me through her thick glasses.

'It is me Chandrika aunty!' I spoke up and a wide smile spread across her lips and before I knew I was pulled into a warm hug.

'Oh my goodness...look at you...you look so beautiful and what is it...you don't eat nowadays is it? Why are you on a diet or something? Come home I will feed you... Remember your favourite rice and mor khuzhambu, let's see how you wouldn't gain weight!' she said and I giggled.

'Definitely Chandrika aunty! How can I forget!!!' I said and she smiled.

'Eh ki....Sannu Puttar...(What is this...Sannu my child) is that you?' I heard another voice and I turned around to see Mr Singh. He exactly looked the same. Just that his black and white beard had completely gone white. He was fair and still one of the most good looking uncles we knew.

'Satsri Akal Diler Uncle' I greeted him and he wished me back keeping a hand on my head.

'Satsri Akal Puttarji (child)...so happy to see you...oh my god... Riya is also here!!!'

And my Pacchi also greeted him. The smile on my Pacchi's face seeing Mr Singh and Mrs Iyer was priceless. I could sense that my aunt felt at home.

We spoke for a few minutes and I didn't even realise when we boarded the elevator and we stepped onto 5th floor.

My eyes fell on the left corner of the corridor.

#501, #502 and #503 flat numbers were visible from there. Then my eyes fell on the open duct area near the first elevator.

My legs shivered taking steps passing by #503!!!

'You are stronger than this Saanchi!!!' I pumped up myself and we rang the bell of my Pacchi's flat. #501.

Bindia my Pacchi's assistant opened the door and I was pleasantly surprised seeing everything in place as it is.

My eyes went on the little chandelier in the hall, the little red lamps by the entrance to the corridor, the small prayer room, our bedrooms...and the balcony!

'Everything is as it is Mam! Just like how you asked we only got this place cleaned!' Bindia assured to my Pacchi who mouthed a 'Thank you' to her.

Bindia and the cleaning team she got along with her left and Riya Pacchi relaxed on the couch in the living room.

'Ahhhhhh such warmth! I missed this place so much Sannu!!' my Pacchi said and I smiled

I looked at the dinner on the dining table and noticed that Bindia had even made our dinner arrangements.

'So let's settle into our rooms...mine on right...yours on the le-' and before my aunt could complete the statement I spoke up.

'Ummm can I take the other bedroom?' and she was confused

'But that one doesn't have a balcony. It just has a window and you like fresh air na???'

Now how do I explain her. I no longer like anything about this place. I don't want to have any older winds gushing into me!!!