Chapter 37

NISHCHAY

Her slap brought me back to the reality. I literally had to move my jaw to feel my mouth. Damn she was strong!!!!

I didn't expect Saanchi to raise her hand on me. Shocked was a very small word to describe how I felt right now.

Her eyes were glistening with fresh tears but she clenched her jaw and looked at me silently for a few seconds.

'You are the most selfish man I ever met in my life Nishchay!!!'

Her voice was tearing. I could feel her trying to push back her soft sobs while she tried yelling at me. Tried!!! Because her tears weren't helping her. I instantly regretted speaking so insensitively.

I had acted like an idiot all these months but ever since she left I couldn't help but miss her. I missed her so much. Everyday ever minute, every second I couldn't stop thinking about her. I wanted to talk to her like our good old days. I missed every single second of those two weeks post our marriage all these four months.

I wanted to talk to her but every single time how she disobeyed me and went with Jassi to stay in the hospital is all I could think of and it would stop me from talking to her. Call it my ego or my anger. I hated the very presence of Jaskirat Lota in her life. That man was always code red. Saanchi says he's changed but I knew that man can even bed a she dog given a chance. He was that desperate for anything that had a hole. How could I let my wife be with him.

My wife!!! Yes!!!
True I cannot have a relationship like I had with Sudeshna but it's also true that ever since she had left to the hospital every day every moment I had started missing her. I would recall moments with her. That first time when I admired her when she wore saree post our marriage. The way she cares for my Kyra and my diet. The way she talks to Kyra every day and makes sure Kyra never felt lonely even when she was away from her. She was a hands on mother and a hands on wife too.

The way she cleaned up my cupboard to make sure there were no traces of alcohol warmed up my heart. She stocked up kitchen cabinets with healthy munchies, she put on food chart for different days with recepies for my easy access so Kyra and I can also make healthy and tasty food. It's only after her being a part of this family is when I understood how much Kyra was also bored with my weekly biryani sessions. My daughter had begun to enjoy her mother's multi cuisine food culture.

One day if there was Authentic Mangalorean breakfast, the other day she made smashed avocado toast with hasbrowns and poached eggs straight from Australia and the next day we had authentic Punjabi Parathas and saag (curry). She was magical Elsa just like how my daughter calls her.

Above all the warmth in the house was missing. I couldn't believe how just by being with us for two weeks she made us super dependent on her.

I wanted to keep my ego aside and talk to her but every time I would call her I would either hear or see Jassi stuck to her like a fucking chewing gum. It irked me when I would hear them laugh and be so comfortable with each other and suddenly it would make me realise how much only I was missing her where as she always had company. Eventually ending up me discussing something about Kyra and disconnecting the call to tear my hair in frustration.

Jassi and her relationship was getting on my nerves and then to add on were those stupid social media posts where they would sit along with each other on the same table however at a distance. The only time I was glad Corona expected you to maintain distance from each other. If not for that I would have surely ripped Jassi's hands arms which loved to hold Saanchi. I still remember their photos from Italy. Then I couldn't say anything but now ... she's my wife! MINE!

But things felt better after last night when she finally confessed how Jassi never attempted anything stupid with her. He dare not!!! I'll kill him. But it felt immense satisfaction to my poor heart when she called me special and that our bond was nothing like Jassi and hers. After four months I slept peacefully last night.