Chapter 26

NISHCHAY

I kept looking at the clock. It was almost afternoon. My baby has been in the ICU the entire night.

'24 hours are critical Nishchay!!! We are doing our best!!! Her lungs have soaked in a lot of water. We are trying our best! Just keep praying to God!!!' doctor's words were still ringing in my ears. My heart was beating real hard.

'Nishchay... come on drink some coffee...you haven't eaten anything since last night!!!' Mehek offered me a cup of coffee but I didnt want to consume anything. I could feel Mumma's piercing gaze at me throughout the night. Riya Pacchi kept consoling her throughout. Although Riya Pacchi offered her to take some rest in her cabin at night she denied. Ever since we found Kyra unconscious Mumma didn't even utter a word.

I had disappointed her as a son. After Sudeshna's demise Mumma had been my biggest support. She even respected my decision of not marrying Saanchi although she tried to explain me enough. Mumma had understood and accepted it but Kyra. Stubborn daughter of mine. Although she kept herself locked up in the room and didn't even go to meet Riya Pacchi, she started distancing herself from me too.

I don't understand how this tiny tot understood that I didn't want her to be with Saanchi. She began giving silent treatment to me. She avoided me. Stopped joining me for breakfast and dinner. For god's sake on a saturday she chose to spend all her time at Sufi's place and slept in Mehek's house. I had enough of her attitude. She was 4 and she had to learn to behave her age.

But I didn't want to go hard on her. Mumma had been to Gurudwara for offering Seva (voluntary service). Kyra was in Mehek's place. I picked her up from Mehek's home. The adamant kid denied initially but I am her father. I was much more stubborn than her. I brought her home but I noticed how she ignored me and began walking into her room. I had got her favourite sugar glazed donuts, the only kind she liked. But she didn't even spare it a glance.

I tried talking to her but she simply covered the quilt till her head and slept and that's when I lost it.

I woke her up and asked her what happened but when her silent treatment continued I lost my calm and yelled at her. That's when she burst out crying and yelling at me saying
'I asked her Mumma to leave and her Mumma left her alone!!!'.

I lost my calm and shouted at her at once saying 'Saanchi is not her mother' but my little one was so angry that she ran out of the house saying 'I hate you Pa'.

It pricked and killed me. I was fuming and pissed with her. I didn't even realise and locked myself up in my room and swallowed my favorite...my whisky.

I didn't even realise when I fell unconscious. It was only when Mumma was banging the door non stop is when I realised where I was.

When Mumma asked me where Kyra was it shook the hell out of me.

What kind of a father am I? Where is my child? How could I???
I began running around the apartment but she wasn't found anywhere until Mr Sodhi told us that he saw Kyra taking the lift alone to the terrace.

Although I hated Sodhi Uncle all my life but today thanks to his presence of mind I found my Kyra.

But I was the worst father ever because my little baby was drenched in rain, lying unconsciously on the floor calling out only one name non stop.

'Mumma!!!'

That's the moment I realised how wrong I was in separating Saanchi from Kyra.

So the first thing I did was...dial Saanchi.

'She is still under observation Nishchay. She is not responding well... Please understand, she is a kid. It's a case of Pneumonia, Hyperthermia and Pulmonary Edema...You have to be brave!!!' said the doctor and tears didn't stop rolling down my cheeks.