Chapter - 40

Daniel Adam's POV:

"Jen, where are you? What just happened?". I screamed and kneed down in the middle of my living room and pulled my hair in fear and frustration. Rubbing my face with my palm, my eyes landed on something on the floor near the staircase and without my consent my legs urged me towards the sight.

Blood?

I bent down and touched the blood strains with my fingers. My eyes were glued to my fingers and I felt like am gonna have a panic attack. "Whose blood it could be? Jen's?". This thought made me go crazy and I literally lost myself in fear.

Gritting my teeth, I turned around and stromed towards the security control room to check the CCTV footage. To my surprise, I couldn't find any single footage after I drove my car out of the penthouse. I noticed that, the security cameras have been jammed because it's wireless signal is been overpowered on the same frequency by a stronger signal. Kicking the systems in frustration, I rushed out of the control room to check on the door to make sure if it's broken. I've installed the biometric eye scanner door lock system in my front door and only I and Sean, could access that. Apart from us, my family members knows the password to walk-in in my absence. So, there is only one way to get inside my house without the biometric and password and that way is breaking the door which is impossible as it's an iron front door.

After double checking the door, it's evident that no one broke in because someone have typed in the password all patiently and who it could be? Not even Mr. Langston, whom Sean have appointed as Jenifer's driver and personal bodyguard guard knows the password or allowed to walk inside in my absence. Then who the hell it could be that knows the password of my house?

Clenching my jaws, I slapped my face for taking too much time in the office. I would have saved her if I was little bit early and now everything is screwed. Feeling like my soul left my body, I let my tears flow silently through the pain and breaks mine already broken heart. My body didn't move an inch in fear because of the blood strains I witnessed in the hallway and that's when I heard footsteps in the doorway. I turned towards the direction and saw Sean walking inside hurriedly. I tried to walk towards him but my steps halted in it's place because he believed me with his sister but I let him down. I failed to protect her and now how will I face him?

"What the hell is happening here? Where is Jenifer?". He yelled as soon as he stepped near me and saw the mess around.

I cleared my throat and lowered my head in guilt. "Someone used the red smoke bomb and she was already missing when I came back home!". I uttered without knowing what else to say.

"The fuck you mean by she is missing?". He screamed and I know he is losing his temper.

Bracing myself, I looked up at him and  couldn't hold back my tears. "I am scared, Sean! My wife is missing and all my guards have been taken down. There is blood all over the hallway as if someone dragged her". I spoke and pain engulfed me completely.

I waited for him to stab me with a sharp knife for not being able to protect his sister, my wife but he remained silent for a second and without saying anything, he pulled me into a brotherly hug. "We will find her. I am with you in this. Our Jenifer won't ever leave us. Don't worry". He convinced me and I hugged him back.

"I am sorry! I should have been careful enough and I broke your trust. I couldn't protect her. I let you down. I let her down". I cried into his arms because she is my everything and I can't fathom why this happened. We were so happy and everything was perfect and why suddenly someone has to walk in out of the blue and ruin everything?

"Fuck, Daniel! Stop blaming yourself. You have given the best security level possible to your home to keep her safe and I know how much you cared for her. You never let us down and throw this thought out of your mind. We will find her. Trust me!". His words didn't make anything better but I know I've my best friend with me in this most difficult time of my life.