Winter Ball

"Ughhhh why do I have to go?!" Complained about a 17 year old Alexander Washington. When Alex was 15 he had been shipped off to the mainland where Mr. Washington found and adopted him. But Alexander still had no clue why he had to go to all the fancy balls.

"Because you're my son." huffed an irritated Washington. The two men were standing by the door waiting for Mrs. Washington to appear before they set off to the Schuyler manor for 'The Winter Ball'.

"But I'm not your son-"

"Yes you are now shut up."

"Fine." Alexander crossed his arms grumply.

"Why are these suits so uncomfortable?" said Alex, preferred to the itchy soldiers uniform although his was more decorated than the average soldiers thanks to him being Washington's son and right hand man.

"For the last time Alexander, would you please stay quiet!"

"George dear, don't be so hard on the boy." said Martha as she sidled up beside the man and put one slender hand on his shoulder.

"Good you're here, let's go, we don't want to be late." and with that Washington marched out the door and into the carriage leaving his wife and son behind.

"Mother please, why can't I just stay home?" Alex begged his mother, "I could write up some more papers to send to congress or-"

Martha only smiled at Alex, "Come on dear, we must keep your father waiting. He may be patient on the battlefield but he sure isn't today."

Alex stomped his foot on the hardwood floor and took one last look around before getting into the horse drawn carriage.

It was off to the Schuyler manor with them.

++++++++

Angie and Peggy greeted guests as they came inside but for Eliza she was more content with drifting around the ballroom, waiting for the perfect man to step into her line of sight.

Soldiers were dripping over themselves to win her and her sisters' praise much to Eliza's disgust.

Eliza hated feeling like an object, but that was the life of a woman. It didn't matter that she was only 17. Even Peggy (Although she was 16) was far less concerned about the whole matter. But her sisters were two different extremes as Angelica (Age 19) hated it with a burning passion and wanted to be the one to change it.

That's the only thing Eliza hated about her sisters, they were too different and more often than not she was caught up in a tangle of feuds between the two.

"AH! WASHINGTON'S! IT'S A PLEASURE TO SEE YOU ALL!!" came the booming voice of Eliza's father, Philip Schuyler.

Looking over at the grand doors Eliza saw them. Commander George Washington with his arm around Mrs. Washington's waist and beside them a skinny boy that looked around Eliza's own age.

Clapping echoed through the room and soldiers saluting their commander from different places in the grand room.

"May I introduce, Mr. and Mrs. Washington and their son Alexander Hamilton-Washington!" cries out Mr. Schuyler as he grinned from ear to ear.

'Washington huh, I should go say hi.' Eliza though as she made her way across the room.

She stood behind her father as he saluted the great General and politely bowed.

"Mr. Washington, thank you for coming tonight!"

"It's a honor Mr. Schuyler." Washington said politely. "And who are these fine young ladies?"

Mrs. Washington elbowed Alexander to get his attention and rolling his eyes he turned to look at the Schuyler sisters.

"These are my three daughters." her father started,

"Angelica." He started as he pointed to Eliza's older sister.

Then he turned to Peggy, "Margret."

And then smiling he turned to Eliza. "And Elizabeth Schuyler."

"It's a pleasure to meet you sirs' and miss." Eliza curtsied once more. Looking up she caught Alexander's gaze and gave him a small smell that he returned.

Alexander turned his smile to Schuyler Sisters and his grin grew bigger. Eliza's heart broke.

"I'm sorry father, I must go." She said before hurrying away, aware of Alexander's stare.

+++++++++

Angelica approached the man who was standing off alone to the side. Although the man known and Alexander Washington was two years younger than her it didn't matter. All that mattered was money and rank.

But I also knew what I had to do. I saw how Eliza looked at him when they first met. I knew that Eliza was helpless.

"Hello." I greeted Alexander and the man looked up in surprise.

His chocolate brown intelligent eyes and in a hunger-pang frame.

"Hi," he responded shyly and I almost seemed to forget my name. Then I realized that this all wasn't a silly little game anymore. This was life.

"You strike me as a woman who has never been satisfied."

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean your forget yourself." I said with a wink

"You are like me, I'm never satisfied."

"Is that right?"

"I've never been satisfied."

"My name is Angelica Schuyler, although you already know that."

"Alexander Hamilton-" He started before Angelica cut him off rudely.

"Where's your family from?"

"Unimportant, the Washington's are my family now. And anyways I have a million thing I haven't done, but just you wait. Just you wait." He responded, smirking.

I thought for a moment before realizing what I had to do.

"Follow me,"

"Where are you taking me?" asked Alex as I led him by the hand over to where Eliza was standing.

I turned around for a moment and flashed him a smile, "I'm about to change your life."

Alexander laughed, "Then by all means, lead the way."

This is it, it's Eliza or me. And I knew even if I loved this man he would never be mine. Eliza was all that mattered. She was the kindest, sweetest, most caring person the world had to offer and this broken boy needed her. Alexander Needed Eliza, and Eliza needed him.

"Elizabeth Schuyler?" Asks Alexander.

"Yes sir, thank you for all your service!" Eliza squeaks out and I smile sadly knowing that's the man he's gonna marry.

"I'll leave you to it!" Says Angelica waving over her shoulder before disappearing into the crowd.

+++++++++

"How was it son?" Asks George Washington late that night as his wife and son got back into the carriage.

"It was fine, i guess." says Alexander lightly.

"I saw you dancing and talking to that Eliza girl." Mentions Martha with a smirk which in turn makes Alexander blush.

"Elizabeth Schuyler?" Asks Washington curiously.

"Uhhh, yeah." Alexander says awkwardly before getting stuck in a long and embarrassing discussion all the way home.

But Alex wouldn't have it any other way. 

Did I eat gummy bears as I wrote this? Yes. Do I have 15 pounds of gummy bears? Also yes.

Reminder: vote!

 -Riley