Bedside

(TW: Seizure)

As Washington walked down the hall he turned when he heard a thump. Assuming it was Alexander dropping a book Washington shrugged it off. "Come on Alexander."

No one responded.

Washington turned around and saw his son convulsing on the cold ground. His eyes rolled to the back of his head and his whole body was shaking violently.

Washington stood there for a moment, cold piercing shock flooding through his veins.

His mind flashed back to his younger days, watching men being shot to death under his command. His battalion is dying. He remembered a young man named John. John, coming to cover Washington.

A gunshot. And John's body falling to the ground with a thump.

Alexander's body falling to the ground with a thump.

And Washington screamed for help.

++++++++++

Alexander felt like he was falling, his hands stretched out into the void for his fathers. Washington's large clause hands from years of the battlefields.

Alexander was cold, he shivered. Normally when he was cold Washington would take notice and give Alexander his jacket.

"D-Dad?" asked Alexander numbly.

There was no response from the void. And then he was on solid ground. Alexander stumbled and caught himself. It Looked like he was standing on cold obsidian. Looking up he saw millions of glistening stars, yet he was alone. Alone once more.

Alexander seemed to walk on forever, cold and alone. He wanted to scream, to cry but no sound came out of him.

It was like his life after his cousin died. Cold and alone. Living on the streets bartering and trading survive. Working for his late mothers landlord.

Alexander took another step and stumbled, landing on the ground. He felt no pain, nothing but the cold.

Maybe it wasn't cold, maybe it was just Alexander. He was alone and therefore cold.

"Alexander?"

Alex looked up as the voice seemed to bounce around as if Alexander was in a cave of sorts.

Alexander tried to open his mouth to respond but again nothing came out.

"I'm sorry my boy. I should have been quicker, faster, anything!"

Tears pricked in the corners of Alexander's eyes. The voice reminded him of Washington, of his father.

"If you would just wake up. Maybe we could go down to my manor. You could meet the children. They would love you, Wash and Nelly I mean. I know you hate kids-" a hiccuping dry laugh broke the sentence.

"But they would love you." said the voice.

Alexander nodded, agreeing with the voice. Then he remembered what Washington had talked about one day long past, his grandchildren Wash and Nelly.

Was that Washington's voice?

"Philip would love to play with them. I sent a letter to your wife Eliza to head to the Manor. I worried how this all would affect her. Martha will take care of her and the kids, I know she will. She would have loved you, you know?"

"D-Da-"

"Alexander?" The voice seemed to cut out, becoming clearer for a second.

"Da-Dad?" asked Alexander louder.

"Alexander?!"

Alex's eyes flew open. There standing over Alexander, his hand clutched in his grasp was Washington. Worry and then relief filled his eyes.

"Son,"

"H-Hey dad." said Alexander smiling weakly. Alex turned his head to look around. He was in the hospital. "What ha-happened?"

Washington smiled sadly before answering. "You had a seizure. I'm afraid you can't work anymore."

Alexander couldn't think. He couldn't work? But that was his life, his purpose! "But-"

Washington cut Alexander off. "No, you're going to stay with Martha and your family at Washington Manor."

Alexander nodded although he still couldn't wrap his head around it. "Ok."

"Ok?" asked Washington in surprise, he didn't think that Alexander would accept this so quickly.

"Yeah, ok."

Message to all artists: how the f do u do it?!??!?!?!

Remember to vote or you will not get any popcorn

- Riley