Road to Freedom

"GET ME A DRINK BOY!!!!" Bellowed the king. Alexander shook in fear, trembling at the sight of the mad king.

"Y-Yes-s s-sir." whispered Alexander before running off to the cellar. He looked skittishly around, checking for people when he ran into a wall. A wall that was apparently a man.

"You ok little buddy?" asked the tall man, bending down.

Alexander rubbed his head. "Y-Yeah."

"What's your name?" asked the man.

"A-Alex-ander."

The man smiled "It's nice to meet you Alexander I'm Herc- George."

Alexander flinched at the name, his mind flashing to the beatings and the pain the mad king would inflict on him. He took a step back in fright.

"Wait!" George ran forward, grabbing Alexander's hand.

"Let go of me!" Yelled Alexander.

"Look, my name isn't George. It's Hercules Mulligan. I was sent by General Washington of the US to spy on the British government."

Alexander narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "Why should I trust you?"

Hercules hesitated. "I could- help you escape?"

Alexander thought for a moment. "Help me... Escape?"

"Yeah, you could go to the US, we can give you a better home with a nice family." Explained Hercules.

Alexander nodded slowly. "O-ok."

"Ok?" asks Hercules in surprise as he didn't think Alexander would agree.

"Yup!"Hercules laughed. "Ok!"

+++++++++++++

Alexander clutched Hercules's hand as he looked at the port. Alexander didn't remember life outside of the palace so he had never seen so many 'unruly' people.

A large hat flopped on Alexander's head and he wore a bit too big uniform Hercules sewed to fit the boy with the limited supplies he had. It was a deep blue and kept the boy warm at night.

"You ready?" Hercules asked his new little brother. Alexander nodded.

"Ok, we're first gonna talk to General Washington and then we'll go rest. The cots here are better than on the ship." Hercules said, laughing at that last part.

Alexander only nodded and followed Hercules off the ship. He clutched onto Hercules as if he was Alexander's life line through the storm of people. Everyone ignored Alexander but a few greeted Hercules with cheerful hellos'.

Hercules walked to a large billowing tent. Lifting up a flap the two boys entered the small room.

Desks of paper surrounded two men as they worked. The first was writing furiously and the second man was bent over a map, marking locations. The second man wore a more decorated uniform and was Clearly General Washington.

Hercules coughed, alerting the two men of his presence. The first man barely glanced up before returning to his papers. General Washington on the other hand smiled as he walked over to Hercules.

"Welcome back!"

"It's great to be back, sir. I would Also like you to be my new little brother Alexander."

Alexander looked up at the tall figure of Washington. The General bent down to Alexander's level.

"Welcome to the United States of America Alexander."

Alexander nervously raised his tiny hand to shake Washington's large closed one.

"If it's ok, may he stay with me for a bit?" asked Hercules.

Washington stood up and thought for a moment. "Yes, but when you are out and about he can come and stay here with me and Aaron."

The first man, now called Aaron, looked up. "Yes?"

Washington shook his head "Nothing."

Washington and Hercules walked over to the maps, discussing boring matters. Alexander on the other hand decided he would go and see what Aaron was doing.

He waddled through the tidal wave of papers before standing up on a chair and looking over Aaron's shoulder. "You should use an 'also' instead of a 'and'."

Aaron looked over at Alexander, annoyed by being criticized by a child. "What would you know, you're a child."

Alexander huffed. "You know, Herc told me you should never be mean. But you're all mean! I was just giving you a suggestion!"

Aaron rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath.

"What was that?" asked Alexander.

"Talk less." retorted Aaron through gritted teeth.

"You should smile more." Alexander responded before sticking out his round and leaving the man in favor of listening to Herc and Washington. Hercules and Washington were nicer than Aaron.

But even Aaron was better than the mad king.

Wooo look at me, updating! Also whats your favorite breakfast meal/ food??

Please vote, it helps me know your liking the stories!

- Riley