Dinner Time

"Alexander-"

"One second dad!" Alex shouted from upstairs, his voice wafting through the Manor. Washington rolled his eyes as he sat down for dinner beside his wife.

Martha rested her hand on his, making Washington look up. "He's just a boy." she said soothingly.

"A boy a bit too dedicated to his work." huffed Washington.

"He just wants to prove himself." Martha reasoned.

"Prove what?"

Martha rolled her eyes, "Prove that he can be the son you want him to be."

"I want him to enjoy his life, not writing on parchment and skipping dinner."

Martha shook her head. "Let me go talk to him."

She stood up gracefully and walked upstairs. Once she got to Alexander's door she knocked four times.

The door swung open and a tired, slightly irritated Alexander popped out. "Yes mother?"

Martha smiled as she walked into the cozy room, quietly shutting the door behind her. "How are you Alexander?"

"I'm doing fine." He said stiffly.

"And your papers?"

Alexander squinted his eyes at her, confused why she was asking these questions. "Is it going well?"

"Is that a statement or a question?"

"A statement."

Martha smiled sadly. "No, that's a question."

Alexander's shoulders sagged, his eyes drifting to the floor. "Sorry mother."

Martha rested her hand on Alexander's shoulder. "Don't be sorry my dear boy. But I'm afraid you're overworking yourself." She said softly as if not to spook a bird.

"I'm fine mom."

"No you're not. Now come down and eat." She said as she drifted to the door, motioning for Alexander to follow.

Sighing, Alexander followed her down the grand stairs and into the great dining room. Old swords and guns hung on the walls. Grand paintings of bloody battles and wall murals hung. A feast of food was laid out, its delightful smell wafting through the room.

Quietly Alex and Martha took their places at the table, Washington watching as they did so.

"Alexander, Martha." said Washington curtly, nodding slightly.

"Father," greets Alexander.

"Would you two stop being so stiff!" Martha says as she reaches for a platter of chicken. "You two are acting like school children."

Washington rolled his eyes but Alexander cracked a small rare smile.

"So, ugh. How are you doing my son?" asks Washington awkwardly.

Alexander smiled as he turned to his father. "It's going great! I finished the letter to congress that you wanted!" He said with growing excitement.

"Really?" asked Washington, slightly surprised.

Alexander nodded as he shoves food into his mouth. "Muh!"

"Thank you." Washington said sincerely as he had not expected that act of kindness. All night he had been wondering what to write.

"No problem dad!"

Martha smiled over her plate, happy to see her two favorite boys getting along. She wished moments like these would never end.

She wished that the two of them wouldn't get shipped off to help fight a war.

I don't know why but I feel like Martha would be a nice mom. Also what are your opinions on snakes? I'm bias as I own one (A normal morph ball python named Ace), but I know so many people who are scared of them.

Please vote, it would help me out so much and it will take little of your time!

- Riley