Duel for Freedom

"You're not going."

"But father-"

"No, no way!" Hamilton spun on his heel, looking down upon Phillip. "Your mother can't take another heartbreak."

Hamilton turned and marched out the door.

"But you told me to stand up for what I believe in, just as you did." Philip called from the doorway. "Please father, let me fight!"

"Stay inside Phillip. That's an order." Hamilton hissed from over his shoulder. "This is my fight and my fight alone."

"What if he comes after us? Revenge for not showing up, what about Mother?"

Hamilton's thoughts were as wild and crazy as a hurricane. But in the eye of that storm he knew Phillip was right.

"Pack up all the necessaries, take your mother and the children. Go to the Washington's estate down south. He will protect you."

"But what if he can't?" Phillip asked.

"He will, now go. Hurry. Be gone by Midnight."

"And what of you?"

"Just go."

+++++++++++

Phillip looked out the dirty stained window and looked over the fields of cotton. His stomach clenched in anger at the poor living conditions of the enslaved. His mother, Eliza sat across from Phillip, the children as seen on or next to them.

Eliza hadn't stopped crying since they had left. Crying from the man that hurt her so much yet owned her heart and love.

"He'll be ok mother." Phillip said softly. "I know he will."

Eliza looked up at him, "But-"

"He's strong, he survived the war. He will be ok."

Eliza smiled sadly, "You remind me of someone."

"Who?" Phillip asked.

"John Laurens, he was one of your fathers friends. Did from a British bullet. The man didn't know the war was over. He died there in South Carolina."

"I recognize the name," Phillip said. He remembered his father teaching him an old song, and told him it was made by a guy named John Laurans. "Father said he wrote a song."

"What song?"

"I'm not sure but I think it goes like this... Raise a glass to freedom, something they can-"

++++++++

"-never take away!" Hamilton roared at the foolish boy. "You can never take my family away!"

"Maybe not, but I can take you!"

Bang.

Death was something Hamilton knew well, he watched his mother die in his arms. He saw his cousin hanging. He fought in bloody battles, men dying all around him. He remembered the note of John Laurans's death. And now, him?

He had only just begun. America was a great unfinished symphony. He had Eliza, Phillip, all of his children. Washington and Martha and the feral tomcat named Alexander.

He was always out running it, death. But it was always there, like a snake waiting to strike. Always lurking in the back of his mind. As soon as Hamilton forgot about it, death would snatch another soul out of Hamilton's life.

But now death had him in his cold gastly grip.

And then it was quiet. And then all was well.

+++++++

The family raced up the stairs carrying bags of luggage. They knocked and Martha opened the door, surprised by their visit.

"Oh! The Hamilton's! Honey!" She shouted and Washington entered, greeting Mrs. Hamilton.

"May I ask, where's Alexander?"

Phillip (Who had remained silent till then) piped up, "A duel. I was gonna duel a man but Father took my place and told me to bring the family here where we'll be safe.

Washington's face turned pale. "We have to get him."

Phillip followed Washington outside. "It's been days! And It will take days to get there!"

"He's my son, and I'm not going to leave him to die."

Phillip's thoughts were racing but he knew one thing: "I'm coming with you."

"No. You're going to stay here and stay safe." The man said, walking over to the stables.

"I'm coming and that's final. Besides, I know where the other man lives. I know the roads like the back of my hand. I'm coming with you Grandpa, whether you like it or not."

Washington paused and turned to Phillip, "Grandpa?"

"Well aren't you?"

Washington only nodded, "Let's go."

++++++++++

Mourning was the only thing Washington did on the way home.

Mourning for the loss of his son.

Mourning.

Just something small and sad

By voting you can save 15% or more on car insurance. 

- Riley