Ghost Man

TRIGGER WARNING: This story contains mentions of alcohol abuse, and seeing things. Do not read if these topics trigger you. Thank you

 "Alexander?" asked a voice, making Alexander lookup. Washington stood there in the doorway of Alexander's bedroom, staring in confusion at the mess. Alexander had always been an organized person so for the older man it must have been startling.

Empty bottles lay across the ground, some smashed after making dents in the walls. Holes from where Alexander had thrown punches also covered the smoky white walls. Zigzagging cuts and scars lined Alexander's arms, exposed by the dirt and alcohol stained white tunic.

"D-dad?" Alexander croaked out, looking up at the man with tired eyes. Washington looked down at him in pity.

"What has become of you?"

Alexander looked away, his grip on the brown glass bottle he held slipped as he thought back to all the ways he had screwed up. "Myself. I'm a monster."

Washington didn't respond, only moving slowly across the floor like a cat. When he reached Alexander, Washington sat down beside him. The two men sat leaning against the wall, their breaths filling the silence.

"Am I a bad person?"

"That depends."

"On what?" Alexander asked, rolling his head over to look at the gray haired man. Washington didn't turn to face Alexander as one might expect. Instead he stared ahead with cold eyes.

"What makes a person a monster?"

Alexander huffed and rolled his eyes, looking away and taking another swing of his drink before responding. "Anyone who fucked up as badly as me."

"Then by your definition you a mon-"

"Thanks a lot pops." Alexander said with a dry laugh. As he took another swing he relished in the bitter stinging taste left on his tongue.

"But not to me. You could never be a monster, Son."

"Why me? Why not Burr or Jefferson? Why must I screw up so badly?"

Washington didn't say anything so Alexander continued.

"I mean, I cheated on my wife, I ruined my entire career, my children hate me-"

"I don't hate you." Washington offered.

"Yeah, you already said that." Alexander said with a roll of his eyes.

"I don't hate you."

"Yea-"

"Don't hate you."

"Wa-"

"Hate you."

"Da-"

"I hate you."

"W-What??" Alexander spluttered.

"I hate you."

"What? What are you saying?"

"I hate you."

"Washington please-!"

"I hate you." Washington stood up, walking out.

Alexander stared at the man in confusion. "I thought you loved me?"

"I do."

Alexander was losing his mind, "So why did you say that!!"

"That wasn't me Alexander."

"What- What do you mean?" Alexander said, standing up as his legs shook under him.

Washington turned around to stare at Alexander. His eyes were bloodshot, he cried blood, its slowly dripping down his pale lifeless face. "It wasn't me Alexander, I was never here. I'm dead, remember?"

My mental health has been crappy recently so I decided to write this... Next chapter will be happier thou :)

-Riley