Letter Rewrite (Request)

"Mr. Hamilton?" Asked a slim man from the doorway of Alexander's office.

"Yes?" Asked Alexander, looking up. The man before him held an envelope. Written on its front, its neat elegant letters were 'Mr. Alexander Hamilton.'. The letter was sent from 'George Washington'.

"Ok, thank you Alfred!" Alexander said, reaching forwards to grab the note. The paper crinkled slightly under his grip.

"Of course," Alfred said with a bow before walking out.

Alexander sat back down in this creaking chair, quickly he grabbed his letter knife and cut the parchment form it tight bounds.

+++++++++++

To Alexander Hamilton

Mount Vernon, December 12th 1799.

Sir,

I have duly received your letter of the 28th ultimo, enclosing a Copy of what you had written to the Secretary of War, on the subject of a Military Academy.

The Establishment of an Institution of this kind, upon a respectable and extensive basis, has ever been considered by me as an Object of primary importance to this Country; and while I was in the Chair of Government, I omitted no proper opportunity of recommending it, in my public Speeches, and otherwise, to the attention of the Legislature:1 But I never undertook to go into a detail of the organization of such an Academy; leaving this task to others, whose pursuits in the paths of Science, and attention to the Arrangements of such Institutions, had better qualified them for the execution of it.

For the same reason I must now decline making any observations on the details of your plan; and as it has already been submitted to the Secretary of War, through whom it would naturally be laid before Congress, it might be too late for alterations, if any should be suggested.

I sincerely hope that the subject will meet with due attention, and that the reasons for its establishment, which you have so clearly pointed out in your letter to the Secretary, will prevail upon the Legislature to place it upon a permanent and respectable footing. With very great esteem & regard I am, Son, you obedient servant

Go: Washington

++++++++++

Alexander smiled, happy that Washington wasn't directly saying no to his idea, but a seed of pain flashed in his chest.

What if something went wrong? What if he screwed something up?

Alexander brushed those thoughts from his head and got back to work.

++++++++++

"Alexander?' Asked Eliza, taking a quiet step into their room.

"Yes dear?"

"You have a letter from Virginia." Eliza said.

Alexander waved her off, "It's from Washington, I'll read it later." Eliza looked down at the thick parchment paper.

"No, it's not." Eliza said, looking down as she took out the paper.

"Will you read it?" asked Alexander, looking up.

'''''''''''''''''

Dear Mr Hamilton,

On December 14, 1799, First President of the United States of America General Geroge Washington died from an unknown sickness in his home in Mount Vernon, Virginia. You are among the first to know as the public hasn't heard the news yet. He will be buried here at Mount Vernon on December 18, 1799. As you may know, General Washington changed many lives through his work. I hope it may bring in knowing his last words, saying "I am just going! Have me decently buried; and do not let my body be put into the vault less than three days after I am dead. Do you understand me? And tell Alexander, I'm sorry. I love you all, Tis well."

Martha Washington

'''''''''''''''''

"Alexander?"

"He's, he's gone?" Alexander asked softly, "Just like that?"

"I- I wish it wasn't so." Eliza said, a tear rolled down her porcelain face. Alexander looked up at her with broken eyes.

"Just like that? Gone."

++++++++++++

To Alexander Hamilton

Mount Vernon, December 12th 1799.

Sir,

I have duly received your letter of the 28th ultimo, enclosing a Copy of what you had written to the Secretary of War, on the subject of a Military Academy.

The Establishment of an Institution of this kind, upon a respectable and extensive basis, has ever been considered by me as an Object of primary importance to this Country; and while I was in the Chair of Government, I omitted no proper opportunity of recommending it, in my public Speeches, and otherways, to the attention of the Legislature:1 But I never undertook to go into a detail of the organization of such an Academy; leaving this task to others, whose pursuits in the paths of Science, and attention to the Arrangements of such Institutions, had better qualified them for the execution of it.

For the same reason I must now decline making any observations on the details of your plan; and as it has already been submitted to the Secretary of War, through whom it would naturally be laid before Congress, it might be too late for alterations, if any should be suggested.

I sincerely hope that the subject will meet with due attention, and that the reasons for its establishment, which you have so clearly pointed out in your letter to the Secretary, will prevail upon the Legislature to place it upon a permanent and respectable footing. With very great esteem & regard I am, Son, you obedient servant

Go: Washington

++++++++++++++

Alexander let the yellowed paper hit the floor. Just like that, without warning like a raven of death. Everyone he ever loved but his wife, destined to die. Would Eliza be next? Or perhaps another run of his children?

And Washington, is it true what he had said? 'And tell Alexander I love him' had that been true? Or was it a lie, fabricated up to make him feel better?

No, Martha Wouldn't do that, Alexander had met the woman. She treated him like he was her own son without a question or a thought.

It was just like that, a snap of a finger and everything was gone.

Washington was a strong man, it was like a mountain, unable to be knocked or pushed around. But in a day, with a push of a button it was all blown up.

Gone like a leaf, holding strong through the year only to be killed off by one crisp frost.

Alexander always pretended to be strong, yet everywhere he went he saw his life fade and crumble away.

Washington was another block in a building, yet he was a foundation and without him Alexander would tumble over.

No more could he send letters for advice, or seek shelter in the office of Washington during a storm. No more was the man who treated Alexander like a son.

Washington saw something in him, something Alexander thought was lost. And that was hope.

Washington brought hope to Alexander.

So what's life without hope?

What was life for Alexander without his General, his mentor, his father?

Now that is better. Also just finished 'Good Omens' (the show) and omg the gay energy is everywhere

Vote? :D

-Riley