Road to Freedom (pt 2)

Alexander pushed himself up onto the stool. Sadly he was too small but a hand swooped in and helped Alexander up.

Alexander looked into the crystal blue eyes of Washington.

"Hello there Son."

"Hi." answered Alexander timidly.

"I'm guessing Hercules is out?"

Alexander nodded. "He's.... I don't know what he's doing." That was true. Herc had dropped Alexander at the tent before leaving.

Even though the war was over British troops still occupied some land. It was Washington's job to make sure they got sent home.

"I believe he said he was going to visit some of his friends," said Washington.

"Friends?"

Washington ruffled Alexander's hair. "Yep, John and Lafayette."

"What are they like?"

Washington thought for a moment. "Loud, but both are willing to risk their lives for our country."

"Oh, ok."

Washington smiled and sat down in a chair beside Alexander. "Want to help me?"

Alexander nodded his head excitedly. "Yeah!"

Washington laughed. "Ok, I'm planning where to send my troops to help get the British home." he said, pointing to the mad.

Little wooden figures stood at attention, as if awaiting orders. Some were blue and some were red, the red ones were obviously the British whale the blue is the US army.

Alexander fell deep into thought. He might be young but Alexander was a child genius. "Y-you could move them here." Alexander picked up a piece in (Enter some state) and moved it to a marked Army in South Carolina. "They could use the support."

Alexander looked over at Washington's face. Before hurriedly taking his comment back. "I- It was a silly idea, I-I'm sorry."

"No, no!" Washington said. "That's a great idea, good job Alexander!"

Alexander beamed up at the General, joy lighting across his face. "Really?"

Washington nodded.

"Yay!" Alexander cheered because even though he was a genius, he was still a child.

+++++++++++++

Alexander peaked out of the tent, excitedly looking around for his big brother. It had been a week since he had last seen Herc and supposedly coming back today.

A lot had changed in those few days and Washington had a tailor make Alexander a new soldier's uniform.

But one thing Alexander refused to give up was Hercules's hat, the one that flopped over his eyes.

"Alexander?" called Washington from inside the tent. Alexander sighed and walked over to the commander.

"Yes Pops?"

Washington lifted Alexander up onto a chair and showed him a letter. "Remember when you helped me decide where to move that army? Well it's on the move to South Carolina thanks to you."

"Really?"

"Yes really."

"What's all the 'reallys' about?" asked a familiar voice from the front of the tent. Alexander looked up at his big brother.

Immediately he jumped down off the chair and ran to hug Hercules. Hercules bent down and scooped Alexander hum, giving him a huge bear hug. "Hey little bro!"

"Herc!" Cheered Alexander.

A couch came and Alexander looked over Hercules's shoulder to see two other men.

The first had frizzy hair and the second had more gently curled hair. Both wore war uniforms and Alexander guessed these were Hercules's friends.

"Who are you?" asked Alexander.

"Hello! I'm John Lauerns! It's so nice to meet you Alexander, Herc here has talked a lot about you!" said the second man brightly. He reminded Alexander of a puppy.

"Im Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de La Fayette. But you can just call me Lafayette, or Laf." said the first man.

Alexander blinked at the man in a swirl of confusion. "Huh?"

Herc sighed. "Just call him Laf, and him John." Hercules said, pointing to each man in turn.

"John, Lafayette. It's good to see you boys again." said Washington as he made his way over to the group.

"If It isn't the Father." announced Laf. He bent two of his first and middle fingers on both hands as if to put the word 'Father' in quotation marks. Alexander laughed at his antics, making Laf light up.

Washington sighed. "Nice to see that you haven't changed."

Are you a spring, summer, fall, or winter person? I  like summer the most, there's a lot that you can do in the summer.

"Voting for this story will help the US win the Revolutionary War." -George Washington 2022

- Riley