Chapter 18

I gave the strange woman at Michael's door the same look. She scoffed and slammed the door shut. I knew Michael had a tree by his window, so I made my way over towards it and started climbing.

As I reached his window, I knocked on it so he would open it or at least pull up the blinds. He didn't. I didn't want to be rude, so I sat in the tree for five minutes. I knocked again. "Michael! I see your light is on! Please open the window. I need you." I begged, yet there was no response.

I began to climb down the tree and then Michael's window flew open. "Ashleigh?!" He called. I turned around and saw him climbing out his window. "Sorry, Ashleigh. My sister is really protective and shit." Wait, Michael is an only child... "What's the probl-" I cut him off.

"Michael, you're an only child!" I corrected, but he shook his head. What's going on here?

"It's a long story. I promise I will explain later."

"You better, Gordon!" I teased, but that must've made him made because he grunted. Haha.

-

We were walking down the road and I was talking about Luke and this girl and how he said I wasn't related to him. We found ourselves at a park and took a seat at a picnic table watching the children who were no older than 8 play.

"Luke is a dick. He's probably trying to get in this girl's pants or something. I bet she's a play boy model. You can always come to me if he does something like that okay?" Michael comforted. His playboy joke made me laugh.

"Alright... Thanks Michael. Now explain to me about your 'sister'" I nudged his arm causing him to flinch.

"Okay, so it turns out my dad had an affair with my mom and I just found this out now... My parents were yelling at eachother and my mom smacked my dad and he then... umm..."

"Michael, if you're uncomfortable talking about this, its okay. you can stop." I cut him off.

"Well my dad started physically abusing my mom and nearly raped her if I hadn't walked in the room." My eyes widened thinking of how horrible rape is. "My mom called the police and since my sister isn't 18 yet, she is forced to stay with us. Her mom died in a car accident and my dad was her other parent so yeah. They are both with police and probably judges stating their sides of the story." My jaw instantly dropped.

"M-Michael. No. You can't live like that! That's not anything that somebody should have to go through! You're staying at mine tonight and possibly tomorrow. No if, ands, or buts." Michael snickered. "What?"

"You said butt!" He laughed and I instantly facepalmed myself. I still didn't know his sister's name, but that wasn't important right now.

"You're so immature you know that?" I giggled. "Anyways, yeah... I think I should tell you about my parents since you are going through this. It just has to wait until we're at my house. We will go to yours and grab a few pairs of clothes and if you want to bring a few games. We have some. I don't know if my dad will allow you t,here but I don't care. Would you mind if I told my mom about this and why you're staying with us?" I blabbed.

"Okay. I don't care if you tell your mom honestly. I just have to climb in my window so Michelle doesn't question us." Michelle, Michael? Wow that's too similar. "Thank you so much Ashleigh. I owe you a bunch! I love you!" He exclaimed. Damn it felt good to be his girlfriend and help and support him with tough things.

"I love you too Michael, but you don't owe me anything. You already payed me back a while ago. You're the reason I no longer self harm and you're the reason I'm still alive. I love you so much Michael Gordon Clifford!" I cried.

-

We were leaving Michael's house and he had a backpack full of clothes and a DS and a gameboy color and a few other things. We were outside my door and as I was about to open it, the door flung open with my father standing in front of us.

"What do you think you are doing, Missy? And why is he here?" My dad spat at us. I pushed him away and brought Michael up to my room and let him use a part of m dresser that was empty for his clothes. I left him in my room to unpack and I walked down to see my mom and tell her why Michael was staying. She agreed and I thanked her.

I skipped up the stairs and saw that my dad was in the threshold of my room leaning in and talking to Michael. I stealthily walked up to eavesdrop on what they were saying.

"I don't like you and I don't trust you. I never gave you permission to stay here and definitely not with my mistake of a daughter!" He yelled and Michael smacked him as I ran away crying. My own father said I was a mistake. I ran down to the hidden door in the closet under the stairs. I found that little spot when I was a kid and would run away and I heard Michael yell. I was too teary to leave, but I did anyways.

I ran upstairs and my dad was dragging Michael down the hall by his feet. "MOM!" I yelled and my mom came racing upstairs and since she took karate, she karate kicked my dad which made him fall to the ground.

I already saw Michael get beat up and this was the second time. He doesn't deserve this.

As Michael stood up, I ran over to him and my mom followed. "Are you okay, Mikey?" I asked. He just shrugged and I could tell that he was fighting tears.

"Okay. I want to know what happened!" My mother demanded.

"Well I told you why Michael is here, right? Well I come up here and here dad yelling at Michael and he called me a... a... a mistake. I ran downstairs and cried until I heard Mikey tell for help and I saw Dad dragging him to the end of the hall almost like he was heading towards the balcony." I explained and my mother gasped.

"Oh my god! Are you both okay? Michael I'm very sorry. He won't hurt you again. You can stay with us as long as you like. He will be knocked out for a while, so I'm going to cook supper and you two can watch NetFlix or do something. Ashleigh show him around... Just don't lock your door. We don't need baby Cliffords here just yet." She smirked.

"Okay thank you Liz" Michael said.

"Thank you so much mommy."

Me and Michael walked into my room and i sat on my bed. "What is his problem?!" He jolted.

"Okay Michael. Sit down. I need to tell you about my parents. I think now is the best time." Michael sat down next to me and I took a deep breath in.