27. Tong

Nervous energy had us both wide awake and out of the room before 7 a.m. He wanted to get over with it and I wanted to stop holding my breath. There were fewer people on the last day. Anyone who hadn't qualified didn't have to be there and those participating were a handful compared to the first day.

Some people stayed to cheer but everyone else who wasn't participating had left. The thinner crowd was both good and bad. It also meant the events were better organized; everything happened on time. But that also meant there were fewer distractions. More time to be nervous.

Then Pok proved that we had nothing to worry about because they qualified in first place for the 100-metre freestyle relay sending the predominantly local crowd crazy. It set the tone for the rest of the day keeping the energy high even for races where we weren't represented.

The last race of the day was the 1,500-metres. It started out slow; much slower than everything else. It was strange but there was method to the madness. It was a marathon, not a sprint. The idea was to start slow and maintain a steady pace instead of rushing and burning out. The first few lengths were uneventful, even boring.

The halfway point came with an unexpected turn. One of the participants had to stop in the middle because of a cramp. The reality of such an outcome sending terror through my body. What if it happened to Pok before he finished? It wasn't a disqualifier but it meant he would be too far behind to make the time.

A third of the way through and another participant dropped out. There were only six left. The chances that Pok would qualify had climbed to 50-50. Yet they were slowing down, him more than the other. I could see him struggling; torn between cheering him to keep going and wishing he would just stop and get out of the water.

I didn't know how to help him. I didn't know what he could or couldn't hear in the water but I shouted his name.

"Go, Pok. Keep going, don't stop. You've got this."

Our friends joined in. Other people picked up the chant. 50 metres I had ever endured. All the participants were exhausted. Everything had slowed down like it was in slow motion. The pace misleading because the clock on the board said they were still within qualifying times. With 20 metres to go there was a sudden increase in the pace. The last push before the end.

Pok touched the board first.
Four seconds ahead of the qualifying time.
He was in.

The crowd went wild. There was no doubt it could be heard throughout the campus. My heart felt like it was about to burst from my chest. He'd done it. If ever there had been any doubt, he had proved to himself and everyone else that he deserved to be there.

Perhaps now, he wouldn't hold what he'd lost against me.
Maybe there was hope for us after all.

~

"You were amazing," Saab echoed my thoughts exactly.

Pok had changed and showered after the award ceremony. The team had the post mortem with the coach while we helped the organising committee clean up the area of all the trash accumulated. He came out of the locker room looking tired but comfortable in a t-shirt and the swim team tracksuit. He had closed the jacket all the way to the top and I wondered if he was warm enough.

I sidled up to him and whispered for his benefit, "Do you want my jacket? It's warmer than your uniform."

He nodded and we traded jackets while everyone watched.

Nobody said a thing even though I expected someone to point out how chummy we were being. But I was disabused of my self-preoccupation when they took turns clapping Pok on the back and congratulating him on his wins.

This wasn't about me but I noticed Phai and Sandee smiling at each other. It was hard to tell if it was because they were just accustomed to looking at each other like that these days or if it was because of us. I wasn't going to break the mood by asking them to clarify. When Saab suggested we get Pok drunk, I agreed wholeheartedly.

Grabbing his bag and slinging it over my shoulder, I followed as Saab dragged him in the direction of the nearest pub. I hang back as they basically commandeered the situation. Watching their interactions and shamelessly basking in the second-hand glow of Pok's achievement. We didn't have to order. A pitcher of beer showed up before we had even settled down. The news of Pok's win and the university's place in the finals having already made its way around campus.

"Here's to Pok for showing us who'll be in charge of our rescue if we are ever lost at sea." Saab toasted to start everyone off.

"For helping us understand that we might have evolved legs by mistake but that's shouldn't stop us from returning to the sea," Klui added.

"For never giving up on his dream," Phai said sincerely.

Only to have Galae get things back to the ridiculous with, "Let this beer not be diluted by all the pool water you've drunk already."

I wasn't sure Sandee would say anything. He stole all my thunder by toasting Pok with a simple, "Congratulations."

"Now I understand why you like those long showers," I started and Pok's eyebrows went up in shock and I realized where his head had gone and mine stuttered at the reminder. I cleared my throat and finished with, "you're just trying to get back to your element."

"Bottoms up!" Saab instructed and we all drank.

I didn't try to finish mine but I watched as everyone else gave it a real try. Only Saab and Pok clearing their glasses.

"I guess being able to hold your breath helps with that too, huh?!" I asked only to get the same look of surprise from Pok.

What had I said that was shocking him so much? It wasn't like I had said anything unusual. The guys didn't seem to notice either. I shrugged off the discomfort as paranoia and went back to my drink. I was well on my way to being drunk when I realized Pok would be in no state of mind to walk out of here not when everybody kept tipping his glass every few minutes forcing him to drink even more.

"I think you better get some water or you're going to be sick," I announced unnecessarily and got up to go in search of water.

I didn't get far when Pok grabbed my hand. "Are you worried about me?"

"Of course. Anyone would be."

"They don't seem to have a problem with it," he said indicating the rest of our friends.

I turned to look at them and I could not explain it away with paranoia because they were all staring at us with these weird expressions. Phai had a soft smile. Saab's knowing grin was a little disturbing. Sandee's piercing attentiveness in direct contrast to Klui leaning on his palm with an expression I could only describe as 'Aww shucks man.'

Galae was the only one who looked concerned. But there was nothing to be concerned about or whatever else their expressions indicated. I was fine. We were fine.

"Don't pay any mind to these idiots. They are just as drunk as you." I said loud enough so they would hear and the grumble responses were unintelligible. To Pok I added, "I can't carry more than one of you at a time. If you're drunk as well, I won't have anyone to help me."

"And here I thought you were worried about me."

"It will be more fun if you don't break something when I accidentally drop you."

I had intended it to come out as a threat but it sounded far too affectionate and I had to clear my throat and look away. Pok pulled at my hand to get my attention. He didn't look like he was getting the joke. Maybe he was drunker than I thought, or maybe that was me.