33. Pok

With the holidays still going strong, there weren't as many people on campus. There were rolling shouts of happiness coming from different dorm rooms and hallways. The relief of having one more semester behind us was well worth celebrating. I wasn't patient enough to wait for Tong to tell me how he'd done so I made my way to the faculty.

I was just in time to hear P'X congratulate him for passing. The rest of the conversation was in low tones I couldn't make out from the distance. Hiding behind some pillars, I got as close as I could without being seen. Just in time to hear Tong voice tinged with frustration—or maybe it was doubt.

"...trying to understand how you can be so certain about something when it doesn't feel certain at all?"

"Tong...that's how it always is," P'X said and I couldn't fault him his good advice. So much of being with someone else was an act of faith. "But you also need the courage to follow through."

P'X laughed without amusement, "Maybe I had too much courage in something that I shouldn't have been certain about. But I also know, if I hadn't told you how I felt, I'd be even more disappointed with myself than I am with your rejection."

Tong listened to him without comment. Worrying his lower lip until it drew P'X's attention to his mouth. I was going to interrupt them when he finally said, "Thanks, P'X."

"You've thanked me a lot. Maybe I should charge you."

"Maybe you should find someone who's right for you the way Pok is right for me," Tong said making it clear where his boundaries were. I was proud of him. But I was so ecstatic that he'd made it clear I was the man in his life and that wasn't negotiable.

P'X mumbled something I didn't catch but Tong looked okay. He said a quick goodbye to his senior and started walking back to his dorm. I wanted to follow him but I had a call to make. There were certain details I'd left out of my information packet and I wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding.

"What you're saying is that your friend is actually your boyfriend?"

"Yes."

"And you thought we would mind?"

"No. I thought I would tell you because there are already enough surprises to go around."

"Fine. You can bring him for lunch today instead of waiting for dinner over the weekend."

"So soon...?"

"Are you saying you can't?"

"I will be there just as soon as I can."

That involved heading back to my room, changing into something a little more comfortable than the shorts I'd put on after my swim. Adding a spritz of cologne and heading to pick Tong up. I didn't expect to be locked out when I got to his room.

"Are you there?" I shouted wondering why he wasn't opening the door.

When he finally opened the door, his hair was sticking up in different directions and he had lines from his pillow on his face.

"Why are you banging on my door. You could have just used your key?" He asked irritably then walked back to his bed and lay down again before rolling around in the duvet until he looked like a human burrito.

"You left your key in the lock so mine couldn't get in," I told him walking to the kitchenette so I wouldn't be tempted to join him on the bed. "You have to get dressed. I'm taking you on a road trip. I would have told you earlier but your phone is off."

"I don't think..."

"Good." I cut him off not wanting to hear any excuses.

I had intended to give him more time but with a subtle but clear ultimatum having over my head, I needed to do this. I watched him wiggle out of his cocoon and reach for his phone but it wouldn't come on.

"Shit, the battery is dead," he said putting it on the charger in a panic.

It powered up after a minute or so and the first thing he saw after the welcome screen were my text messages, the pings coming in quick succession until he silenced the phone to read them.

I already knew what I had sent him. The first had been a simple requestion, "Would you like to go out with me?"

It had remained unread when I sent the second, "I'd like to take you somewhere special."

I don't know why I shouted his name via text.
That was followed by: 😌😓😕😩

I thought he was ignoring me.

"I'm really sorry I didn't see your messages," he said when he finally finished going through all the messages.

"That's okay..." I said accommodatingly. "As long as you promise to grant me my every wish for the rest of the day."

"Your wish is my command," Tong said in mock surrender.

He thought I was joking but I was dead serious. "If that's the case, you're very bad at this because you haven't followed my instruction and put on some clothes."

"Right."

He jumped into the bathroom and freshened up before using me as a template and changing into a pair of jeans and a tee-shirt. He took the time to tuck his in instead of letting it hang out like mine. He picked up his phone and wallet and turned to me for inspection.

"Ready."

"Do you need a jacket?" I asked thinking we would probably get back late.

"It's not that cold?"

"It could get colder later." It was better to be safe rather than sorry. Then I realized there could be advantages so I got close and whispered, "Or you could let me keep you warm."

He took a lightweight jacket from the coat rack by the door and flounced out of his apartment. I couldn't decide what was funnier. My laughter was deep and full lifting my spirits and reminding me that I had nothing to worry about. Everything would be fine.

"I hope you're ready for this."

It was the most I could offer him by way of preparation. I wanted him to know something was coming. Maybe then he wouldn't run screaming for the hills when the time came.