Chapter XI: Day Two Pt 5

The middle of the night came after the group of boys were ushered out to allow Brena Willard to rest

The middle of the night came after the group of boys were ushered out to allow Brena Willard to rest. But her mind was not able to rest. Her hands were shaking a tiny bit from the curse as she held her notebook. Her jagged writing was worse from the shakes, but she was determined to add on to her notes.

"Damn it." She muttered as the ink blotted over where she was writing. Putting the quill over to the side. She had lost her pens so she was forced to use the ink pot and quill she was given for classes. Her shaking hand made it impossible to use it though.

"Nasty language for a Hufflepuff." A voice whispered. Brena snapped her head up to see Sirius Black holding a plate of food, sporting a smirk on his lips.

"Not really bad language when a Dam is something Beavers build." Brena said in a matter of fact tone causing Sirius to snort as he walked over to her. "Thought you went back to the common room after Pomphery pushed you all out?" Sirius set the plate down on the side table before looking at her.

"We decided it wasn't safe for you. So I decided to bring you food from the kitchens." He told her sweetly with a grin before pointing to the plate. "So what are you working on so late at night? Thought you'd be asleep." His eyes looked to the notebook, eyes widening before Brena could slam the book closed. "Werewolves?"

"I- uh it interests me." Brena said in a quick response. Sirius caught it though. He looked at her before gesturing to the bed.

"May I?" He asked politely. Brena nodded and he took no time in scooting into the bed beside her and putting his sock covered feet up on the blanket. He reached over and took the notebook without asking and grabbed the quill. "I noticed you only use pens.. Maybe I can write and you tell me what to write?"

"Why do you want to help?" Brena was confused at him offering his help. But then he grabbed her hand that was trembling and gave it a slight squeeze.

"I've been under the curse before.. I know the shakiness lasts about a week or so." He told her in a soft voice. Brena moved her eyes from their joined hands to his face.

"I-I didn't know." She admitted with a frown. Sirius smiled at her and shook his head.

"I don't need your sympathy. You clearly have been through it before. From what I heard- you healed faster than people usually do on their first time." He told her with a sad smile. Brena cleared her throat before swallowing. "It's okay, you don't need to tell me about it. I get it." Sirius assured. He released her hand but before he could pick the notebook back up, Brena grabbed his hand. This shocked Sirius a bit since she had never willingly touched any of them.

"Before I came to Hogwarts.. my family was attacked." She paused, taking a deep breath which made Sirius squeeze her hand gently. His dark eyes looking at her patiently. "My sister was killed along with my parents- my-my brother-" She stopped, squeezing her eyes shut to stop the emotions from flooding.