Chapter LXI: Salazar's Locket

A crack filled the air as the ugly short elf appeared at the sound of his name

A crack filled the air as the ugly short elf appeared at the sound of his name. Long pointed ears going down at an angle. Nose a straight point and a harsh glare on his face that extinguished when he noticed Regulus Black.

"Master Regulus! I knew you had not forgotten Kreacher. No matter what the Mistress tried to tell him." The house elf seemed to have done a one eighty flip in his mood. But then his eyes spotted Sirius Black...and then James Potter. A scowl was etched into his face like a permanent sneer when he spotted Brena last. "Master Regulus-"

"Don't speak of them harshly, Kreacher." Regulus told him in a slight ordering tone. The elf bowed his upper body low towards Regulus before looking back up to his master.

"As you wish, Master Regulus." He muttered, sounding like he was biting his tongue. He definitely didn't like the other three in the room. "What has caused you to call upon Kreacher?"

"Are you still my elf, Kreacher?" Regulus asked, wanting to be sure before just relying on the small creature.

"Of course, sir. Kreacher was given to Master Regulus when he was young, too young to remember more likely. But Kreacher is most definitely Master Regulus's over anyone else's." The long rant was spoken enthusiastically, like it was the best thing the elf had ever said.

"Good, good. From now on Kreacher, you will only respond to me. You will not return to the house of Black. You will stay here with us. You will answer to not only me, but to Brena Willard, James Potter and Sirius Black." Kreacher flinched at the demand, not liking being told to listen to the Blood Traitors and the Squib.

"Yes, Master Regulus." Kreacher bowed in understanding before turning to each of the others and bowing his head slightly to them.

"Kreacher?" Brena spoke up, tilting her head to the small creature. The elf turned to look at the witch, sneering, but listening. "The Locket- Voldemort had you help him hide a locket. Can you take us to it?" She spoke in a calm and elevated tone that caused the elf to drop his sneer. 

"Bad cave. Made Kreacher drink bad potion- left him to deal with the inferi. If Kreacher had not been called upon- Kreacher could had died." His sentences were broken, but Brena understood, glancing to Regulus as his death flashed through her vision, a memory of what had almost happened. Could it still? If he went with them?

"What is it?" Regulus questioned as he noticed the brown eyes on him. Sirius and James both looked to Brena as well, curious. "Is something-" He paused as if it had clicked in his head. "That's how I was supposed to die. Isn't he cave." Brena nodded slowly.

"You had realized your mistake in helping Voldemort and you had gone there to change the real locket out for a fake. You died by being dragged into the water by the inferi and drowned." The silence that fell over the group was thick and made it hard to even swallow. Sirius moved his dark eyes to his baby brother, seeing him in a whole new light.