Chapter LI: Summer; Cursed

Brena laid in bed still as the sun kept rising into the sky

Brena laid in bed still as the sun kept rising into the sky. The time going past the normal time she would get up, but the arms she was wrapped in kept her from even wanting to move. Sirius had gone to get some breakfast for the group, leaving Brena and James to lay entangled.

Her head laid on his chest as his fingers carded through her hair. The braid she had done undone and laying carelessly on her shoulder.

"When's your birthday?" James questioned as he ran his fingers through her waves, twirling the end.

"When's yours?" Brena countered. James chuckled, shaking his head.

"I asked you first."

"I asked second." Brena shrugged.

"Well, mine is March 27th." James mumbled, pressing his lips into her hair. Inhaling slightly, enjoying the smell of lilac and rain. His finger poked her side causing Brena to squirm slightly in his hold. "Your turn." He urged. Brena sighed before turning her face into his chest.

"August 23rd." She mumbled into his chest. James barely could hear her, but his brow furrowed as he processed what she said.

"Wait- Your birthday was two days ago?!" James exclaimed as he tried to pull Brena out of his chest. It was currently August 25th. Sirius and James would be back on the train in about a week. "Bren, why didn't you tell us??" Brena let out a sigh as she sat up, pulling the baggy shirt she had stolen from Sirius closer to herself as she crossed her arms.

"I don't exactly celebrate my birthdays, okay?" James frowned seeing how distant she was becoming.

"Hey- what's going on here?" James asked her, sitting up and placing his hand on her lower back.

"I found out my brother was killed on my birthday, James." Brena told him, her voice coming out low and full of sorrow. James flinched at the reminder. They had so much fun yesterday that he actually forgot that was so recent. He felt guilty for his carelessness. "My birthdays are cursed." Brena declared. James' frown deepened at her words.

"You don't have cursed birthdays, Brena. I know this year wasn't ideal-" Brena snapped her head up to look at him.

"No. All of my birthdays have been cursed." Brena told him hastily. "Not just talking about not being sent a letter on my eleventh. My family died right when I turned thirteen." James closed his eyes at her words. He knew this. He knew she had lost her family on her birthday. How could he have forgotten?

"Well- let's change that then." Sirius spoke up from the doorway. His face relaxed with sympathy and understanding. A tray of food in his hands. "From now on, Brena Willard died on August 23rd." It sounded ridiculous. Brena furrowed her eyebrows at him in confusion.

"The new Brena was born on August 25th." James said with a smile. He knew where his friend was going with this. A new start- a new beginning. It was exactly what Brena needed.