Chapter LXVIII: Midnight Breakfast

Night fell with very little talk unless it was from James' parents at dinner

Night fell with very little talk unless it was from James' parents at dinner. Sirius had decided not to join dinner, staying locked in his room for the night. Brena felt sick to her stomach with how he shut her out. Could she have told them a different way? This had been her plan since before the baby- should it change anything?

Sitting in her bed alone now, she had to wonder...had she really exhausted all other options? Could there be another way that she hadn't thought of?

Brena moved to get up, feeling hungry for something sweet. Walking into the hallway, she listened for a moment, not hearing anyone but the soft snores that echoed from everyone's rooms. Sighing, Brena moved down the stairs quietly before entering the kitchen where another was sitting in the dark.

"Oh!" She gasped in surprise. "I-I didn't know you were up." Brena stuttered as she looked at the man.

"Is something wrong with the baby?" Sirius questioned as he moved to stand up. Brena shook her head slowly.

"I just-" She lifted the box of choco gnomes cereal. "Needed something sweet." She mumbled quietly. Sirius nodded, standing up and getting her a bowl out before grabbing the milk as well. "Um, thanks-"

"Sit, I'll pour it for you." He pushed the stool out for her before moving to take the box. Brena moved out of his way, sitting down and staring at him. She watched as he poured her a good amount into a bowl before closing the box up and pouring her some milk. He gave her the exact amount she had always gotten herself. More cereal then milk ratio since she wasn't a big fan of actual milk. Grabbing a small spoon, he placed it next to the bowl for her- knowing she likes to inspect the spoon before letting it go into the bowl. Weird habits that he knew by heart from having her stay here with James and him.

"Thank you." Brena said as she looked at the cereal. Sirius nodded before leaning against the counter. "Sirius I-"

"Brena-"

The two paused as they both had been about to speak up. The corner of Sirius' lips tugged up slightly as he looked down for a moment.

"Sorry." Brena said as she looked at him. "I'm sorry." Sirius frowned before sighing.

"You have no need to be-"

"Yes I do! I should have asked for help. Should have asked someone to help me find a solution." Brena went on to say, not giving Sirius a chance to speak up his thoughts. "My life isn't just mine anymore- I know this. I know that my life means more now, I just-" Sirius shut her up by the best thing he could think of. Turning the bar stool around so she was facing him and smashing his lips to her.

Brena froze as Sirius pressed his lips to hers. It only took her a moment to move her lips with his, parting slightly to allow him entry. Sirius pushed his fingers into her hair, pulling her closer to his face as he enjoyed the warmth of her touch. It didn't take long for his hands to move from her hair, trailing down before gripping her hips, lifting her up before placing her onto the counter to bring her closer to his height.

"Sirius-" Brena breathed as his lips moved down from her lips. His mind lost to the moment. Brena grabbed his face, pulling him back to her lips before pulling back. "Not fair." She mumbled. Sirius had a smirk on his face at that.

"Not fair? I found it extremely fair. Better than telling you to shut up so I could get a word in." He pointed out, earning himself a shove as Brena went to slide down off the counter. Sirius stopped her though, caging her in her spot. "You're right. Your life isn't just yours anymore. But I also- I don't get to just tell you what to do.." He admitted slowly.

"Sirius-"

"No. It's my turn." He told her sternly. Brena shut her mouth, narrowing her eyes at him before nodding. "But you can't- don't put your life on the line like that." He moved closer to her, standing between her legs as he held a pleading gaze on her. "Don't leave us all. Not willingly. Don't leave me. Okay?" He whispered out the end before lowering his head to her neck, his arms wrapping around her. "We can figure something out." He said into her neck as he closed his eyes. "There has to be another way. Someone else can take care of the bloody snake. We'll find a way around the whole Talvi thing-" He pulled back from her neck, meeting her gaze just in time to catch the tear slide out of her eye. "I love you, Brena Willard. Don't leave me willingly."

"I-I won't. I promise." Brena nodded, moving her arms to the back of his neck and pulling him to her in a hug. Sirius let out a soft sigh at her touch, sinking into her hold.

"We'll figure this out. Together. All of us."

A/N: A little heartfelt moment

Remember that Brena is only 16 in this. She is a dumb teenager. She will make mistakes, she will act out. It's what teenagers do. She lost everyone at an early age and has already planned out how she could prevent it from happening again. It never even occurred to her that she could ask for help in this.

:) That's all.