Chapter XL: Summer; Lupin 'Showdown'

A week went by after the trip to the mall

A week went by after the trip to the mall. Brena had dragged the boys to the Blockbuster within the mall. James had been familiar with movies, since wizards did have tvs. But Sirius didn't really know about them much since it was a muggle invention. The boys were ecstatic at the thought to watch the movie Grease.

Currently though, Brena laid herself up against a tree as she stared off into the distance in concentration. Her brown curls pulled back into a messy bun to tame the loose hairs from blowing in the wind. Her brows furrowed in focus as she looked deep in thought.

"Brena?" Sirius Black walked out of the house, spotting the Hufflepuff at the lone tree in the backyard. "Bren?" He tried again with a nickname as he stepped up next to her. Brena snapped out of her focus, blinking furiously before looking up at the long haired boy. "Everything alright?" He questioned before sitting down next to her.

"Yeah, I suppose." Brena mumbled in frustration. Sirius could read the irritation on her face easily.

"What were you just doing- you looked like you were trying to do some voodoo shit." He laughed as Brena shook her head laughing at him.

"I was just trying to get a vision." She explained. Sirius furrowed his brows at her.

"A vision? Of what exactly?" Brena shook her head.

"It doesn't matter." She sighed before running her hand over her hair. "I have this apparently amazing gift and I can't even control when I see things." She huffed. Sirius sighed.

"Gifts come at unexpected moments. Spontaneous." He spoke. Brena leaned her head against the tree, closing her eyes as she listened to his voice. The Black's have nice voices. Regal and yet comfortable, playful but wise. Not to mention how naturally calming they sounded. She'd only met two of the Black's but she feared meeting their parents. Were they as smooth talking as their sons? She knew they weren't good people. But if they were as smooth as their children, she feared humanity.

"Did you come out here to speak of great wisdom to me?" Brena joked, opening her eyes to meet the steel storm already staring back at her. Full of humor and concern at the same time.

"Actually, I came here to tell you to get ready! We are going out!" He said happily, a wolfy grin spreading across his face. Brena felt the blood rush up her neck at his demand.

"We're going out? The two of us?" She questioned, making sure she understood. Was this a date? Was Sirius finally asking her out?

"Well, James as well." Sirius added, not seeing the girl sigh softly, nodding. "The Lupin's have requested your presence for dinner tonight. And we wouldn't pass up a chance at seeing Moony so early on in the summer!"

"Wait- The Lupin's? You mean- But- are you sure?" Brena stammered out. Her frown on her face causing Sirius to mirror it back.

"What's wrong? I thought you'd be excited about this?"