11 - Filling In

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor. ~Elon Musk

Luke's POV

I let out a sigh as I walked up to Michael's house. I sure as hell did not feel like taking Calum's place in this little competition. But I would anyways. He owed me though. I knocked on the door and saw it opened by Nettie, a red-headed girl in my English. She smiled and stepped out of the way so I could walk inside. I continued walking in and she cleared her throat so everyone turned around and saw me standing there.

"Hey Luke." Mikki greeted. A lot of the people sitting there seemed to be shocked that I was currently standing here. Like I was one of the last people they expected to see.

"What's he doing here?" Dallas asked, as he turned to Michael.

"He's filling in for Calum." Michael replied. I continued to stand pretty far away from the group until Nettie put a hand on my back and began pushing me farther into the room. At least not everyone here hated me.

"Why him though?" Dallas scoffed.

"It doesn't matter, Calum just asked Luke and he said yes." Sonya said. I remembered her from my class last year with her. We had art together.

"Come take a seat next to me." Nettie smiled as she sat down on the couch and I sat down next to her.

"Why are you being so friendly?" I whispered to Nettie.

"Am I not allowed to be nice to you?" Nettie smiled as she passed me a paddle. "I mean, you're nice to me. I feel as if I should return the favor."

I nodded my head slowly as I fidgeted in my seat. I noticed that Dallas was not the only one glaring at me. Katherine and another girl I did not know were also giving me distasteful glares.

"Alright guys, this is Luke." Mikki said. "Luke this is, Nettie, Dallas, Kat, Roni, Maxx, Sonya and you know Michael and I." I nodded my head.

"Aren't you Ashton's friend?" Katherine - I suppose she likes to be called Kat - asked. I nodded my head slowly. "So what are you doing here?"

"Kat don't be rude." Maxx commented.

"It's just a question." Kat said. "Well?"

"I..Uh.." I did not really have much of a response for it. So I just shrugged.

"Hey is it true that you're gay?" Dallas smirked and I could feel my face flush a deep red color before I nodded. I usually did not have a problem with this, but it seemed as if Dallas was out to get me.

"Easy there Texas." Nettie replied, getting a scoff out of Dallas but a bit of laughter out of Mikki. (A/N: Get it. Cause his name is Dallas. Like Dallas, Texas!? Okay I'll leave. xD)

"It's just a question." Dallas smirked. "Thanks for the answer Luke." I nodded my head again.

"You guys are making things awkward." Michael commented and I raised an eyebrow to him, he looked at me but ignored the look on my face. "So what are we playing first?"

I heard several titles thrown around as people started to contradict one another's games as well. There were also several rebuttals to what other people had suggested.

"What do you wanna play Luke?" Nettie asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Please, the little blonde boy doesn't know a damned thing about video games. Probably say Pac-Man or something." Dallas chuckled.

"You know Pac-Man doesn't sound too bad.." Mikki commented and got a glare from Dallas. "Hey, I like it. It's a classic game."

"Our final blow-out is going to be Pac-Man?" Dallas raised an eyebrow. Clearly unamused with the suggestion.

"Yeah!" Mikki smiled. "Michael go get your laptop, we can play online."

"Alright." Michael said. He walked upstairs and left us all in the living room.

"This is dumb." Dallas groaned.

"Don't worry Dallas, I'm no good at Pac-Man." I smiled shyly from the couch. Even though I was trying to be friendly, Dallas shot me a glare. I bit down on my lip and stood up. "I'm going to go get a drink."

"You know me too!" Dallas smiled as he stood up and followed me into the kitchen where I ran tap water as Dallas took out a soda. "Luke you can clearly tell that I don't like you." I nodded. "Let me make it clear why."

"Okay."

"You have your friends, you have the things that you and all your friends do." Dallas said as he took a step closer to me. Even though I was extremely tall it seemed that Dallas had about an inch on me, and an even higher muscle mass. "So I want you to stay out of what we do. You don't get the best of both worlds. I'm also not about to let you come in here and spread your gayness around."

"You don't have to be homophobic about it." I rolled my eyes.

"Roll those pretty eyes of yours again and you'll be chasing them across the floor." Dallas snarled.

"Oh so you think they're pretty." I smiled and could see Dallas's anger rising with every word that I said.

"Even prettier when they're surrounded by bruises." Dallas smiled.

"Well I hope you like football players because their fists will be down your throat." I smiled back at him.

"Are you that weak that you hide behind football players to save your precious little bottom?" Dallas teased.

"Not quite as you are, feeling the need that you need to act tough so I get all scared." I replied.

"I swear Luke, you are barking up the wrong tree." Dallas said.

"And you're starting the wrong forest fires." I smiled as I patted Dallas's cheek before turning and walking out of the kitchen. I sat down on the couch next to Nettie and smiled at her as she smiled at me.

"I'm back!" Michael called as he arrived with his computer.

"Michael I am not happy." Dallas said.

"Why is that sugarplum?" I smiled at Dallas who shot me a sinister glare. "Oh that's right. You're not happy because of me. I remember now." I heard Mikki and Nettie laughing together and what I had said.

"Luke knock it off." Michael shot me a glare. "You don't need to be so stuck up." I rolled my eyes and then felt Michael smack the back of my head. "Knock it off."

"Fine." I muttered as I folded my arms and glared at Dallas who was now smiling in achievement. I was certainly peeved that Michael went against me, but then again. He had no idea that Dallas was just as mean as I was. And Dallas was here before me. It made sense for Michael to hold Dallas above me. Even if I did not like it.