52 - Friendly Opinions

Doing what's right is no guarantee against misfortune. ~William McFee

Luke's POV 

I waited for Ashton and when he arrived he looked up Dallas with a glare on his face. He nodded to Sonya and grabbed my arm and pulled me away. "I told the boys to meet us up somewhere, so come on lets get in my car and we can talk." 

I nodded my head and followed Ashton until we both climbed into his car. He started it and began to drive out of the parking lot, although it might have taken a while because right now everyone was trying to leave. 

"So," Ashton took a deep breath. "What are you going to tell me?"

"Dallas was talking with me, and he brought up a few interesting things.." I said quietly. 

"Yeah I figured that much." Ashton responded. "Care to tell me what those interesting things are?"

I leaned back in my seat and let out a sigh. "What do you think of Michael and I..?" 

"Oh great, what'd he do?" Ashton sighed and I shook my head quickly. "I'll entertain you." Ashton rolled his eyes. "I think you and Michael make a good couple." 

"Really?" I asked. 

"Well..You did at least.." Ashton said quietly. "Now you can tell you both care but you both seem so exhausted in one another, I don't know if that's what you want to hear but it's what I'm getting. I don't even know if that's true." 

"Dallas said Michael asked him for ideas in order to help me, he said that Michael is beyond exhausted and ripping himself apart to try and help me." I said as I glanced down at my hands - which were shaking on my lap. I was well aware that Ashton was looking at me with a shocked expression of what he knew. "He-He said that I should focus on getting better..But there's only one way to do that." 

"How is that?" Ashton asked. 

"By breaking up with him.." I said quietly. I looked up at Ashton who did not look so much shocked as much as saddened. "I want to know what you think." 

"Luke, you're my best friend so I'm going to tell you how it is." Ashton said as he took a deep breath. "For once in my life I think I might agree with Dallas. I love you and Michael together, and until recently it brought out the light of you. Yeah before you were happy and bubbly, but I almost wanted to say it was just a put-up. Being with Michael gave you a hole new sense of sensations. And I loved to see it. But after what happened.." Ashton ran his hand through his curls. "You can see that you both care about one another, that's not the question. But I think Dallas has a point. If you focus all your energy on getting better than it might help you out, instead of splitting it between a tempered Michael and your own mental state." 

Ashton bit down on his lip before speaking again. "Luke, I don't think you'll ever get better though." 

I went wide eyed, shocked to hear that Ashton of all people admitted it, and I could see the pain on his face and as his eyes welled up. 

"And I hate to say that!" Ashton sniffled. "And I hate Michael because this is all his fault but now is not the time to blame people..I mean I want to help you too. But there's only so much I can do, and I know that but Michael thinks he can cure you somehow. But I don't think there's any point in trying so hard because I don't think any of this will ever change. I think he should just learn to live with how you are now." 

Ashton turned to me. "Honestly Luke, you have come a lot farther than I would ever have and I don't know how you pull yourself out of bed every morning." 

"I try to do it," I said. "Just like everyone else does." 

Ashton smiled slightly. "Course you do." His smile faded quicker than it came. "But Luke, you have to know this. You can either put all your efforts into learning how to live with who you are, or you can either put all your efforts into fixing yourself. Remember though, that you might not get far with how you are now. And you have to pull yourself apart to fix yourself and after that it might not even help you. But you have to chose what you want to do." 

I nodded my head slowly and watched as Ashton wiped his eyes and leaned his head back on his seat as his eyes closed gently. "But I know you wanted my opinion on Michael. Just know that I love Michael and I love you and I love the both of you together.." Ashton took a deep breath and sat up. "But I don't think either of you can go on this way. I think you need to break up just for a little while." 

"Right.." I said quietly. 

"You should also convince your mum to move you somewhere else.." Ashton said quietly as he turned his head to me. "I think you need to leave if you want to try to get better." 

I nodded in agreement. "I appreciate you being honest, I really do." 

"Well let me be honest a little more." Ashton said. "I don't think anyone's efforts are going in vain. Because I think that form when you first came back to school, to now, you're a lot better off than you were." 

"You're lying now." 

"No I'm really not Luke," Ashton said. "And Luke, if you really do want to go through will all of this, I am going to help you one-hundred percent of the way. Because no matter who you are, you're my best friend and I am not about to let that go." I looked to Ashton and could see the small smile on his face as tears ran down his cheeks and around the corners of his mouth. Ashton cared, I knew that. And I did have a very good idea of what would have to happen, but I could feel myself feeling ill with the idea. 

"Do you think Michael is willing to do this?" I asked.

"Michael might not understand at first," Ashton said. "But Calum and I will keep an eye on him." I rubbed my nervous hands on my jeans and took a deep breath. "You should talk to your mum though, you know about getting you out of here before you do anything. Is she home?"

"I-I think so.." I said quietly.

"Cool, I can go with you for like moral support." Ashton smiled. "I'll message the other two and say that we have to go talk to your mum." Ashton whipped out his phone and handed to me. "Text them, I'm driving. Just say that we're going to talk to your mum." 

"Right.." I said and did as Ashton said before placing his phone down in the cup holder. Ashton looked slightly nerved by having to do this, but he put on his game face - his actual game face, the one he had before games - and was ready to help. 

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

So this book has like three more chapter, believe it or not. It's so long. Tbh I thought about having characters die like several times (including Luke and Michael, yes) But in the end decided against it so don't worry no one is dying

Also - I am just going to point out that my writing song of choice at the moment is Ashes of Eden by Breaking Benjamin. I literally listen to this song on repeat when I'm writing because it's very inspirational and the lyrics are really deep. I'm telling you this because I think you should listen to it. It's really good just trust me bebs. 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX