44 - Fall Further

Learning how to trust is one of life's most difficult task. ~Isaac Watts

Luke's POV

When I walked up the steps to my porch and opened the door I was not expecting when I saw.

My mother and father were standing in one another's faces yelling. Michael put his hands on my waist and pulled me closer to him. As if it might just protect me.

"Luke!" My mother gasped when she saw us standing there. "I-I didn't even hear you boys come in. Your father and I were just having a discussion."

"Yes. A discussion, boy." My father snarled as he walks over towards me. Every part of me wanted this not to be real. But I knew it would be.

"So, tell me. Why were you using my phone?" My father asked. I shook my head as he continued over to me. So eventually he was standing face to face with me.

"I-It just went off. I wasn't going on it." I shook my head quickly. "And..I..I guess I did do a little bit of snooping. But I didn't mean to."

"How could you not mean to?" My father asked and I shrugged. He put his hand on my head and pulled at my hair. Pulling me into the kitchen while my mother yelled at him.

"Then you eavesdrop." My father snarled as he walked around me. "I'm getting really sick of the way you're acting."

"I-I'm s-sorry.." I mumbled. "I didn't mean to.."

"And now what's this? You've gone completely nuts?" My father chuckled. "Why is that? You couldn't handle anything? Are you that weak?"

"You can't talk to me that way!" I snapped. "I'm a human too!"

"But you're also nothing." My father grinned. "Just a little boy who means nothing in this world. No one means anything. We're all insignificant so why are you trying so damn hard?"

"Being insignificant doesn't mean I don't have a right to live and be happy." I replied. "I don't need everyone to know my name, and I don't need to make a difference if I'm pleasant with where I am."

"But look at where you are, you've got a case of insanity, everyone abandoned you, your own mother doesn't even love you." My father said.

"That's not true!" I snapped. "You know, life could always be much worse."

"How so?" He chuckled.

"I could be like you, but instead I have a heart. I didn't cheat on my wife and I didn't abuse my son. You did, you hurt those who cared about you. And that's one of the worst things you could ever do." I said.

"There's a difference between us besides that." My father smiled. "You are nothing but insane."

"I am too sane!"

"Oh really?" My father said and flicked my head. "So the voices are your sanity?"

"Stop it." I snarled, smacking his hand down. My father put his hands on both sides of my head and shook it back and forth. "I said to stop."

My father slapped me across the face and I heard my mother begin to cuss him out.

"I told you before not to touch him!" My mother snapped. "Get the hell out of my house!"

"This is my house. I pay the rent. You don't have a job. So you can get out of my house if there's a problem." My father snarled. "Is there a problem?"

"I want you to leave!" My mother snapped. "You have no right to touch that boy!"

"I will do as I please." My father said, and just like me, my mother received the back of his hand.

And I lost my temper.

I brought him to the floor, wrapping my fingers around his throat and squeezed as hard as I could.

"Luke stop!" I heard Michael yell.

"You can't do that!" I yelled as I lifted one hand off of him and pulled it back. I felt Michael pulling back on my arm and pulling me off of him entirely.

"No let go I want to hurt him!" I yelled as my father coughed as he sat up.

"Luke, stop." Michael said. I felt him carrying me out of the room as I wiggled around in his arms. Trying to get out of them was pointless though. Michael had me. There was nothing I could do.

"Calm." Michael said. "Calm down."

"He can't do that!" I said as I finally pushed off of Michael, realizing that he let me go since we were already in my room.

"I didn't say it was right." Michael said. "But you were going to kill him and that's wrong."

"No it's not he's a bad person." I huffed as I began to wipe my eyes furiously. Trying not to cry. Just trying not to break.

I sat down on the floor as I started crying and Michael began to walk towards me.

"Luke," Michael sighed as he lifted me up and onto the bed.

"What happened?" I asked. "Why did my life just fall apart?"

"I don't know." Michael said. "It's not your fault though."

"Michael what am I suppose to do.." I mumbled.

"I don't know." Michael said, he slid me onto his lap and rubbed my back.

"This is real, isn't it.."

"I wish I could say it wasn't." Michael said. Before I could say anything Michael's phone began going off. He slid me off his lap as he pulled it out of his pocket he gave a confused look.

"What?" I asked.

"That's weird.." He said. "Hold on." He answered the call and held it to his head. "Yeah? No I'm at Luke's."

The next words to come out of his mouth were something of question. "He's my friend. Yeah, I guess. Bye." Michael hung up his phone and turned to me.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Um..My mother." Michael said. "She just wanted to talk. She's at my house and she wants me to go back there."

"So you're leaving?" I asked.

"I think I kind of have to." Michael sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Who's your friend?" I asked. "Were you talking about me?"

Michael's face turned grave as he stood up and headed towards the door. "Um, I have to go I'll see you tomorrow."