30 - Less-Than Three

Well, fluffy shirts are, by definition, very comfortable. ~Hugh Dancy

Michael's POV

To say I was worried about Luke would be a total understatement. I have seen Luke upset various times before, but this time he almost looked..Dead. Like there was not sadness, just a feeling of nothing. And that was nerve-wracking to me.

I had approached Dallas earlier and Dallas explained that Luke was like that when he first saw him. He also said that Luke apologized to him, but would not talk very loudly, that was all before he had texted me.

I had asked Ivy as well, she said that she had never seen Luke that upset before, she also had no idea what was wrong with him. She was hoping I would. I told her that Luke would not say one word to me. Only shrug and shake his head or nod.

Lastly, I had caught up with Ashton before practice. Ashton said he could only think of one time that Luke was that upset.

"When?" I asked.

"Well, Luke was best friends with this girl. Mindy, and they were really close." Ashton explained. "I remember the day that Mindy told Luke that she liked him as more then a friend, he told her that he was gay. It would never work. I remember hearing her screaming in the hallways at him. I remember how ruthless she was, the vicious things that poured out of her mouth. After that, Luke was really upset for a while. She never gave up either, I'm sure if Luke saw her she would still keep trying. She never really could move past what had happened and Luke knows it. I think that bother's him even more. Eventually he was happy and go-lucky again. That's the only time I can think of when Luke was this level of sad. I have no idea what happened though, he won't say a word to anyone."

A/N: Guys I am just going to say that remember in WAAAAY beginning of the book, that girl that Ashton and Luke were talking about? Yep. Go back to chapter one and look if you don't remember. It's the same girl. OKAY CONTINUING.

I eventually left Ashton and headed up onto the bleachers where Luke was sitting, he was not sitting on the actually bleachers, he was sitting on the space where you walked, his legs hanging over the next row.

I walked over and sat down on the same part that Luke was, his head was leaning against the seat behind him, looking up at the gray sky.

"Hi Luke." I said.

"Hi Michael." He responded, his voice had a hoarse texture to it.

"You need to talk to me," I said softly, turning the best I could to face him.

"I'm an idiot," Luke said quietly.

"Luke what happened?"

"My father's home." Luke sighed.

I went wide eyed, now I was actually fearful that something bad had happened.

"I think my mum kinda hates me. He does too." Luke said, a sad looking smile worked it's way to his face. "Just trying to keep them together."

"Your mum would never hate you." I said gently. "Luke you need to tell me from the start what happens so this makes sense."

So I listened to Luke as he calmly explained that his father got home early - extremely early - that morning and was smashing picture frames. Luke said he smelt like he had been drinking; he might have been smoking. Luke told me how he tried to stop him from smashing the frames, and when he was cleaning up his mother came downstairs.

"At first," Luke said. "I said that I didn't do it. But then she looked at my father like she wanted to kill him. So I said that I did it. She now sees me as a liar, a ne'er-do-well. This morning she was still mad, she's mad Michael..She hates me now.."

At this point Luke pulled his legs up to his face and started crying. Part of me thought that he might have been overreacting. Maybe I would have said that if I did not know the relationship Luke and his mother had, especially since they were typically very supportive of each other. Luke was his mother's little baby-boy. It must have been weird for Luke to see the other side of his mother.

"Luke, it's alright." I said as I scooted closer, pulling him to my lap I kissed his temple and rocked him back and forth despite the tight cramp we had from our positions. I lifted Luke up onto the seats and sat next to him.

"Luke she still loves you, if that's what you're worried about." I said. "Why did you take the fall for your father?"

"I-I want to make sure," Luke said slowly as he wiped his eyes. "That-That we're always a happy family."

I tilted my head to the side. "Luke not all families are going to be perfect and that includes yours. Every family has it's fault. Your father is your family's fault. He's just going to bring you down. You can't lie for him like that. It won't help."

"My mother said she-she's raising me wrong, so-so things will be differently." Luke sniffled. "I-I don't know wh-what she means."

"I can't tell you." I said, pulling Luke up onto my lap as if he was a child. "But no matter what I'm here, you just gotta talk to me. Okay, love?"

"O-Okay." Luke mumbled. He fumbled around with his fingers, playing with them. He even took one of my hands and messed around with my fingers until I locked our fingers together.

"Does it feel better to talk about it?" I asked. Luke nodded. "See? That's what I'm here for, to listen. But you have to do your share because I don't want to have to worry or drag it out of you time after time, okay?

"Okay.." Luke nodded. I kissed Luke gently and continued to let him play with my hands while practice went on. Every now and again he would sniffle, as if he was about to start crying. He would wipe his eyes too. I would do anything to get him to stop thinking about it.

"Luke?" I said while drawing circles with my thumb on his leg.

"Y-Yeah?" He responded, lifting his crystal-like eyes to me.

"I-I..I know you're really upset." I said. "But it's okay, and you need to stop thinking about it. Alright?"

"I-I don't mean too.." Luke mumbled. "I'm just - "

"I know, trust me I know." I said. "Just remember that I'm always going to be here, okay?" I kissed Luke once more. "I love you."

Luke's eyes went wide but only for a moment until his cheeks flushed a deep pink. He ducked his head down in nervous, biting down on his lip. "I-I love you too."

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Lucy

I think we have a fluff obsession. Cause it's fricken melting the ice off of my heart, but don't worry it'll be back for the next chapter. Maybe idk xD We're all out of pre-written chapters for this book so we have to write them and think now. Maybe other books will get a MILLION updates.

Lol no we have favorites and this book is it xD

Btw the quote has absolutely nothing to do with this chapter what-so-ever. I saw it and was like. That is amazing let me just put the obvious quote in for today xD Oh and I thought this was cute: Less-Than Three is basically this <3 Aren't we clever?

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX