19 - Games Are Games

In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death. ~Anne Frank

Luke's POV

I sat next to Perry as we watched Calum and Ashton play. We would cheer at all the appropriate times, but it was just reaching half-time. So Autumn and Ivy were on the field for this part. We were all yelling for our friends performance. So loud that I did not notice the body next to mine until I was poked.

"O-Oh, am I being too loud - " I paused. "Michael?"

"Hi." Michael gave a shy wave.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "I-I thought -"

"No I'm here, a little late. But here." Michael said. "It's okay if I sit here, right?" I nodded my head.

Perry and Nina were sitting with confused looks on their face. Like they could not believe that I was sitting next to Michael, talking to him.

"Um..Who is that?" Perry asked. "Michael..Clifford?" I nodded. "Well his hair sure matches the big red dog's."

"Hey." I said gently as I slapped Perry's arm. "Be nice."

"Be nice?" Perry raised his eyebrows. "Yeah, no. Why should I be nice to him? He's not nice to you."

"Dallas isn't nice to me, but Michael is."

"Uh..Luke no he's not." Nina chimed in. "Nice would be standing up against Dallas but if I recall correctly it was..Ivy who did that. Not Michael." Nina smiled slightly. "Funny, I thought he was a good guy when I saw him with Calum. Guess good habits don't rub off."

"I did say something." Michael said.

"Clearly." Nina scoffed.

"Guys just leave him alone! Alright?" I sighed. "Do you want to be as bad a person as Dallas? Because you're acting just like him!"

"Whatever, Perry come get a drink with me." Nina sighed.

"Alright, oh and Luke." Perry turned to me. "Don't come crying to us is something happens to you because I'm telling you right now, you shouldn't be friends with the Geeks. Just cause they're losers doesn't make them good people." And with that Perry stood up and walked away with Nina.

I looked after them, just watching them the entire time.

"You don't believe that, do you?" Michael asked, trying to obtain my attention. I shook my head slowly and adjusted myself on the bleachers. "Hey, I left my phone in my car, can you come with me?"

"Well lets wait for Perry and Nina to come back so I can tell them where I went." I said. "I mean, I don't want to just ditch them. Seeing as I did come here to spend time with them. After the game we're all going out, you should come with us!"

"Maybe.." Michael said quietly.

"Funny, you remind me of myself when I hang out with your friends." I said, smirking slightly.

"Nettie, Mikka and Sonya like you." Michael said. "Maxx doesn't really have a problem with you either!"

"Michael, it takes a million words to build you up. And one to knock you back down." I replied. "I don't understand how you can't wrap your head around that what Dallas does truly hurts my feelings."

"Well, why are you relying on me to stand up for you? Should I, yes. But why can't you stand up for yourself? Where is your back bone?" Michael replied. "Do you even have one?" Michael paused. "I don't get it, because you're not the only person who is just willing to take things sitting down, instead you wait for someone else to come do it for you. But why? Why do people do that?"