24 - Don't Believe

I truly believe that everything that we do and everyone that we meet is put in our path for a purpose. There are no accidents; we're all teachers - if we're willing to pay attention to the lessons we learn, trust our positive instincts and not be afraid to take risks or wait for some miracle to come knocking at our door. ~Marla Gibbs

Luke's POV

I was standing at my locker after school. Michael told me he wanted to walk with me to the field where we would watch Ashton and Calum practice, so I waited patiently. Unfortunately, my locker was still near Dallas's, whom would love to hurt me a little more.

"Well, well. Look at who walked into the wrong hallway." Dallas chuckled. "Michael clearly doesn't want me messing with you. But sometimes I can't resist. You're so easy."

"Huh..?" I replied.

"Not to mention, you always go running straight to Michael." Dallas said. "Can't you handle your own damn problems?"

"I.." I trailed off.

"Why Michael is going to turn that corner any minute now - saw him talking to Nettie - and he's going to see me. You're instantly going to say I was being mean. Making him mad. Right?" Dallas asked.

"No." I shrugged. "I'm not."

"Not even if I looked at you and told you about how little the world likes you?" Dallas asked, a smug grin on his face.

"No. I won't." I replied.

"Not even if I remind you that you're just a dog?" Dallas said. "I do love going back to that one."

"I can see that."

"You're a dog, a mutt. You don't fit in here, you should leave before you get hurt. After all, Michael isn't known for having good bonds with people like you." Dallas smiled.

"People like me?" I asked.

"Yeah, the weird, awkward kids. The losers like you." Dallas said. "I'm just trying to help you Luke, to warn you. I'm the one looking out for you. You should trust me. Not Michael. I'm the only one who's honest with your fat ass." Dallas smiled big at my wide eyed expression. "Got something to say?" I said nothing. "Oh hey Michael."

"M-Michael?" I turned my head to see Michael's red hair and a confused - yet angry - look on his face.

"What's going on here?" Michael asked.

"Nothing." Dallas shrugged.

Michael looked to me at this point.

"Yeah. Like Dallas said. Nothing." I shrugged. I was indeed lying to Michael but I did not want him to be worked up.

"Let's go Luke.." Michael said quietly. I nodded and grabbed my belongings as we exited the school.

Michael ran a hand through his hand before turning to me. "What did Dallas say?"

"Nothing."

"Luke.."

"W-Well. He - um - He told me he saw you talking to Nettie, but that was - uh - it." I shrugged.

"Luke you're an awful liar.." Michael said, and I could see his expression saddening. "Don't tell me you're already going to start lying to me?"

"N-No..I-I.." I trailed off and stopped walking as my emotions began to get the best of me. I rubbed my eyes quickly and thought about what to do or say.

"Luke, are you alright?" Michael asked as he took a step closer to me.

"Can-Can I just go home?" I mumbled.

"We have to talk about this." Michael said. "You can't just let it sit." I looked up at Michael. "Don't look at me like that, you know that this needs to be discussed. Whether you want to talk about it or not." Michael paused. "Just tell me, why are you lying for Dallas?"

"I.." I trailed off. Honestly did Michael pick that up right away? I walked closer to Michael, expecting a hug, maybe I could soften him enough so that he would forget. But he wasn't taking it. Instead he put a hand on my chest and pushed me backwards.

"Baby..You have to tell me.." Michael said. "I'm not letting you work your way out of this."

"M-Michael.." I mumbled.

"No Luke," Michael said. "I'm done messing around, tell me. Whatever it is you aren't making it better by not telling me."

"He said I would and I'm trying to prove him wrong.." I mumbled.

"Dallas said that?" Michael asked and I nodded. "Luke what did I already say about Dallas? What did you promise?"

"Not to listen.." I said quietly.

"Exactly." Michael said. "Now, you're going to tell me what he said. So we can talk about it."

"Can we just..Go to the field first?" I asked. Michael let out a sigh and nodded. I followed Michael to the field with my head down and my hands folded nervously in front of me.

Eventually we were both sitting on the bleachers, Michael waited for me to start talking. Which I did do - I told him what Dallas said to me and watched him listen without any interruptions - nor any facial expressions. I had no idea what he was about to say.

"This is why you can't listen to Dallas.." Michael sighed. "He's trying to make you feel bad and to doubt me."

"I'm sorry.." I said quietly.

"It's okay." Michael said, pulling me closer to him. "I'm not mad."

"Not even with Dallas?" I asked.

"While it does agitate me I'm not about to take out my anger on you. You didn't do anything around and that just wouldn't be right." Michael said. "I'm not going to let this affect us. Okay?"

"Okay." I smiled.

"Oh and Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"You should stop lying." Michael said. "You're really bad at it."

"I didn't think I was that bad." I said.

"Oh no you are." Michael said. "It's okay though that's kind of a good thing. What isn't a good thin is that you're so gullible."

"I'm not gullible!" I replied.

"Hey Luke do you see that huge green bird over there?" Michael asked, pointing towards the field.

"Where?" I asked, turning my head.

"See?" Michael said.

"I don't see it.."

"No, I mean see? See that you're gullible?" Michael responded and I looked back to him.

"Hey..That's not nice!" I said.

"Dallas isn't being nice to you when he's convincing you like this." Michael said. "I'm just trying to help you."

"Yeah and look where that's gotten me." I rolled my eyes, folding my arms and turning away.

"Luke.." Michael sighed. "Don't be like that."

"Don't be what way? Honest?" I scoffed.

"Lukey.." Michael whined. He pulled me closer and began kissing along my jawline.

"M-Michael stop-stop it." I said and pushed back on Michael.

"But baby," Michael cooed as his lips reattached. "You're just so tense all the time. I'm trying to help."

"Yeah - "

"Just believe me." Michael cut me off, turning my head so I looked directly into his eyes. "Believe me?"

"Y-Yeah.." I said, swallowing hard.

"Michael!" Someone yelled. Michael smiled at me before turning his head to see Mikki and Nettie walking towards us.

"We can go back to that later, so don't be sour." Michael smirked at me. "When we go back to my house."

I huffed. "Fine."