53 - Surprise

I do like to shock and surprise people. When it's all in good fun, of course. ~Ruth Warrick

Michael's POV

I walked with Calum to his car and when we were sitting in it his phone went off. When he picked it up he let out a sigh. "Are you serious?" He then turned to me and I did not even have to ask what it was before he spoke. "Apparently Luke and Ashton need to talk to Luke's mother about something important. Do you have any idea what that might be?"

I shook my head, I had no idea. Calum let out another sigh and leaned back in his seat. "Damn that kid is full of problems."

"What?" I asked.

"I don't know he just needs to get himself together," Calum huffed as he gripped the steering wheel with both hands. "I think he's a little bit ridiculous."

"Ridiculous!?" I snapped. "What about him is ridiculous!?"

"Maybe that was the wrong word." Calum sighed. "I just think that he's bringing people into his life and he really shouldn't be. And I'm not talking about Dallas, I'm talking about the people who actually care."

"The way he is is all my fault.." I sighed.

"No it's Dallas's if it's anyone's fault." Calum sighed. "He's a handful, he always has been. Even before all of this. I'm sure that he's just an act."

"What?" I asked.

"Before you and Luke met, Luke always was laughing. I don't think people can be that happy all the time!" Calum said. "And there had to be people who gave Luke a hard time for just being openly gay in the first place. Not to mention why do his parents only suddenly not get along? It has to be more than that."

"He just has - or had - a different outlook on everything. There's nothing wrong with being happy." I shook my head in protest, I felt like this was a weird thing to hear out of Calum's mouth.

"And there's nothing wrong with being upset either." Calum said.

"What if he was always happy? And it wasn't an act? People can be really positive. It's like you're giving the kid hell because he was happy." I said.

"I've never seen him anything but happy and we've been friends for a long time." Calum said. "I guess..Just seeing how he's changed recently is..Harmful towards the way I see him."

"It just makes you upset is all." I responded.

"How do you feel?" Calum asked.

"Like hell." I sighed. "I don't know what to do, and I need to know what to do because if I didn't ever show up then this wouldn't have happened!"

"He really liked you from the start though." Calum said. "He wants to be with you. He's a big boy enough to make that choice. At least you know he cares."

"Yeah like I wanted to discover it this way." I said, throwing my hands up. "Calum, I really don't know what to do."

"I don't think there's anything to do." Calum shook his head. "I don't think you can do anything and I don't think anyone can do a damned thing. I think this is who he is and if you can't live with that and you don't like the Luke you've created then you're going to have to consider something else." Calum stifled a laugh - as if he was going to make a joke. "I mean, it shouldn't be too hard. It's just a high school relationship and you haven't slept together or anything."

I turned my head to him and said absolutely nothing.

Calum did a double-take on me. "Wait what!? Michael!?"