38 - Dissociative

There are always flowers for those who want to see them. ~Henri Matisse

Michael's POV

I took in a deep breath and knocked on the door. I had to talk to Luke, it was all driving me insane. The door swung open and Luke's mother was standing there, she looked me up and down.

"I was wondering if you would ever show up." She said. "Let me guess, you want to see Luke?" She spoke in a bitter tone, which I did not understand. "Good luck to you, he only talks nonsense to me."

"Can I go see?" I asked.

She looked me up and down once more then nodded.

"Why did you tell Ashton no?" I asked as I walked inside the messy house, it was odd. Last time I was here it was extremely clean.

"Because Luke was sobbing horrendously the whole day, I thought it would be better to have no one be around. But here you are finally showing up. What happened to him, Michael?" She asked.

"What happened to you?" I asked. "I mean, you seem like you don't care about Luke anymore. What happened to that love?"

"At least I was here." She snarled.

"You neglected him though, he didn't even break those pictures and it wasn't a big deal." I said. She went wide eyed. "He told me he did it just so you and Mr. Hemmings wouldn't fight."

"What..?" She asked, her tone softened. "Oh no..I was so mean to him.."

"Yeah, now if you excuse me. I'm here to fix my mistakes." I said.

"What?"

"Yeah, I messed up too." I replied and walked up the stairs. I found myself walking into his room to see Luke laying on the floor with his legs trailing up the wall.

"Luke?" I said and he did not even acknowledge me. Then I noticed he was speaking, quietly to himself. But I did not pick up a word of it.

"Luke?" I spoke again, I sat on the floor next to him. He turned his head to me with a blank expression on his face, maybe even slightly confused. "Are you okay?"

"Okay?" He asked. I nodded. "I don't feel anything."

I leaned back slightly, very confused. "What do you mean, you don't feel anything?"

"I don't feel anything." He repeated. "I know it's there, but I don't feel it."

"Do you know how long you've been absent from school?" I asked.

"Who?" He asked.

"You."

"I'm no one." Luke shook his head slowly. "What are you talking about?" I looked at him with utter confusion. "You're M..M..Oh.."

"What?" I asked.

"I know it starts with an M.." Luke muttered. "Michael." And he smiled.

"Yeah. That's me." I nodded. "How would you forget that?"

Luke sat up and reached out and touched my face then leaned back and looked like he had done something he should not have. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to touch you."

"Luke what's going on with you?" I asked. Like I might be able to get an answer, because all I was at this moment was confused. "Luke you remember me, right?"

"Are you real?" He asked as he poked my nose. "Sometimes I can't tell.."

"Yeah I'm real." I nodded.

"So..I think I remember you then." Luke frowned. "You punched me.."

"I did." I nodded. "I regret it, but I did. How long have you been gone from school?"