55 - Misunderstood

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Cambell

Luke's POV

I sat out on the steps of my porch, Ashton was inside still talking to my mother. He said to send Calum in but I could talk to Michael outside. I bounced my leg in nerves as I looked all around. The moon high in the sky, the dark trees swaying under it's luminescence. 

I folded my arms to hold my body temperature in against the chilling wind. 

I had a lot of thoughts going through my head, and they were many that I would like to look through if everything else in my mind could just stop for a moment. And even if I got through them halfway it always drifted back to Michael. 

I loved him an awful lot, I still do, which is why this hurts so much to me. At least, that's what I'm thinking. I've never really had to deal with this before - which is pretty obvious - but I don't know if I would consider going back if I could. I would still just be dealing with a Dallas that ruined my every waking moment. I would still be dealing with the disapproval that Michael and I received. Still be dealing with my obscene parents. 

I could see headlights going down the quiet street, I never knew if it was Calum's vehicle. Many times it was not. But eventually it was. The car pulled into the driveway, and the lights clicked off. 

I almost wanted to run away right then and there. 

Dammit Luke, could you just stop being so scared for one moment?

I am trying, I really am. 

"Luke? What are you doing out here?" Calum asked as he walked towards me, Michael was on his right and I needed to speak now. "Aren't you a little bit chilly?"

"Calum can you go inside? Ashton is in there I just need to discuss something with Michael." I said and Calum nodded, he winked and smiled - I wondered what that was about - and then walked in the house. For some reason squeezing himself through a small crack of the door, as if he did not want to open the door all the way. 

"Why is he doing that?" I scoffed. 

"I don't know." Michael said, there was a bit of perkiness to his voice. I felt my head drop into my hands as I remembered what I was about to crush like a bug on the sidewalk during a hot day. 

"Michael, we need to discuss something." I said, looking up at him. I stood up off the stairs and faced him. He nodded his head and I took a deep breath. 

"I.." That was all I could choke out, I felt my eyes welling up with tears and I took a couple steps away and walked back and forth.

"Is everything alright?" Michael asked. "Whatever it is, you can just tell me." 

Yeah okay, we all remember how well you listen when it's against us. Not for us. 

I went wide eyed in my own thoughts. Not now. Get that out of here! 

"Michael I'm moving." I said quietly. "And so I won't be living in this house with my parents anymore." 

"Well isn't that really a good thing?" Michael smiled. "I mean this is an awful place for you to be. So just like the other side of town or just a couple streets away?" 

"No." I shook my head. 

"Oh.." Michael looked confused. "So.." 

"Like..Miles. Thousands of them.." I said quietly and Michael looked confused. 

"So..How far is that?" Michael asked. 

"Quite the distance I would never recommend walking that distance." I said. "It's just for me to you know, get better."