28 - Mister Mystery

Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. ~Neil Armstrong

Michael's POV

"Well have fun at school!" Luke said through my phone. "This is the last day I'll be gone."

"Thank goodness, I have no one to sit with at practices!" I laughed.

"Well tell Ash I said hi. I miss my little buddy." Luke laughed.

"Oh and just a question?"

"Yeah?"

"Your father come home yet?"

"No. Not yet." Luke responded. "If he did I haven't seen him. I did go out yesterday so he could have been home then. I can ask my mum -"

"No that's alright. I was just wondering." I said. "Anyways, I'm in class so I'll talk to you later."

"Alright, bye!" Luke said and hung up. I walked into the classroom and headed over to Ashton and Calum.

"Ash, Luke said hi." I said as I took a seat next to Ashton, whom nodded in response. "Ashton I also have just a question of curiosity for you after class."

"Alright." Ashton said. Ashton pulled out a pack of gum and threw a piece to Calum and I before popping one in his own mouth. The class continued on like it always does. Boring and mainly consisted of me being ref for Ashton and Calum's finger-football. We would whisper-yell if it was a 'score' and we would boo when someone did bad. The teacher was old and gave little to no care of what we were doing.

After class I walked out into the hallway and pulled Ashton to the side - not before he said goodbye to Calum of course.

"What'd you want to know?" Ashton asked.

"What's Luke's family like?" I asked.

Ashton looked off to the side, as if he was thinking. "His mum is really nice, you shouldn't be nervous about her liking you. I did meet Luke's brother's once..They were really cool too. And.." Ashton pursed his lips together. "I've never met Luke's father, which is odd since we've been friends for a really long time. Whenever I go to his house though, his father's at work."

"Always?" I asked.

"Yeah, Luke says he's always working. He works maybe..Two hours away at this big business place." Ashton shrugged. "Apparently he's really busy so sometimes he stays there for a really long time. So you might not even see him, if you do though I'm going to assume that he's a little more..On edge then Mrs. Hemmings."

Ashton seemed to not know one thing about Luke's father - like I had hoped - instead he knew virtually nothing. It was all common sense pieced together by the thought of Luke's father being a business man.

I saw no reason not to say something to Ashton.

"I already met his parents." I said. "A few days ago."

"Oh..Luke's father too?" Ashton asked, he looked shocked.

"Eh..Sort of." I said.

"Okay what happened, there's clearly something you need to tell me." Ashton laughed nervously. "Did something happen between you and Luke's parents?"

"No more like something happened between Luke and his parents." I said. "Does Luke ever talk about his father?"

"He says what I told you, he's father is typically on edge about a lot of things. The complete opposite of his mother." Ashton said. "Why are you asking?"