20 - Realizations Setting In

The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares. ~Henri Nouwen

Michael's POV

I told Luke that I would go with him to hang out with his friends.

"Hey Mikey!" Calum smiled when he realized that I was there. "Do you want to come with me in my car?" We all had to travel in different cars, about two since there would be eight of us.

"No Luke and I are going to go in my car, cause it's here." I said and turned to Luke whom nodded.

"Okay." Calum smiled. "Let's roll out, cause we won!"

"Woo!" Ashton hollered and we all laughed as I walked to my car with Luke.

"I'm glad you're coming with us." Luke said as we were farther from the group. He was smiling and looking at me with his hand folded in front of him.

"I'm glad to be going." I said. I opened Luke's door for him and he stood just looking at me for a second with a confused look. "Well go on, get in."

"Oh..Okay." Luke smiled as I walked around the car and got into my own seat. "Why'd you open the door for me?"

"I..Don't know." I said honestly.

"Well thank you anyways." Luke said as he pulled the seatbelt around him and in this moment I was glad I cleaned my car yesterday so Luke did not have to see the amount of trash that's usually in it. I did not want him thinking I was a pig.

"Michael?" Luke said after a while of driving.

"Yeah?"

"I'm kinda glad you didn't let me walk into oncoming traffic." Luke said.

"Did you not think anything of it before you turned around?" I asked.

Luke shrugged. "Maybe I didn't really care at the moment."

"Luke.." I frowned.

"But it's okay!" Luke said. "Because I'm glad that you were there." I smiled slightly at myself.

"Hey, Luke can you get my phone?" I asked. Luke picked it up. "There's a new game I want you to play. Just unlock it. The icon is a picture of a bird."

"A bird..?"

"I think it's a chicken?"

"Okay.." Luke said. "What's your - Oh never mind."

"What?"

"I was going to ask what your passcode is," Luke said. "But you don't have one. Why not?"

"Why do I need one?" I shrugged. "I don't feel like I need one."

"Well so people don't get in your phone." Luke said.

"My phone doesn't hold any of my secrets unlike yours." I laughed and got a glare from Luke. "I don't know I don't have any problem with people being on my phone."

"So I could go through all your texts and you wouldn't mind?" Luke smirked.

"Not at all. Go ahead." I shrugged.

Luke clicked around a little bit, every now and then he would stifle a laugh. "Mikki is funny."

"I like Mikki." I replied.

"'I hate you, you smell like someone combined boiled eggs and tuna.'" Luke read. "You like her so much."

"Yep." I smiled. My phone began to ring in Luke's hands and he let out a sigh and passed it to me.