14 - Never Forgive

If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize. ~Muhammad Ali

Luke's POV

I was just going to go Ashton's football practice after school today only for the sake that I liked the idea of supporting Ashton. He also liked the idea of me showing up, it gave me something to do.

I did not want to talk to Michael. That was one thing. I was not going to let him act all nice to me now, because I was done playing games.

Although, what I found was not just an average football practice. I heard screams above laughter and when I looked I saw some football players beating someone up. Maybe I would've kept walking if I did not see who it was.

"Michael.." I mumbled. "Hey! What are you doing!?" I yelled while approaching the football players, I noticed one of them was Ashton. They stopped immediately when they saw me. I was in charge here.

"What does it look like?" One asked. "Just doing what we all agreed to do."

"Wha..Ash what's going on?" I asked Ashton. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. I glanced down at Michael who was curled in a tight ball, I crouched next to him and put my hand on his arm.

"Michael..?" I spoke gently. "Are you alright?" He nodded his head. I stood up and looked at the football players. "All of you get to practice, except for you Ashton."

"Alright." Many of them sighed as I glared at Ashton.

"Why?"

"He's hurting you so we thought we would scruff him up, so he knew what it was like to be on the losing side." Ashton said as he looked at Michael with disgust.

"A-Are you..Are you dumb Ashton?" I asked. "Why would you do that!? Did I ask you to beat Michael up?"

"We were just helping. He needs to know that he can't just be a jerk to you and then think nothing of it." Ashton replied.

"Did I ask for you to beat him up?"

"No." Ashton sighed. "But you would never ask."

"Because I don't want you beating kids up!" I yelled. Ashton sighed and ran a hand through his hair. I could tell that he knew he messed up. "Go to practice Ash."

"Alright.." Ashton muttered as he turned and walked away while I looked down Michael who at this point was sitting up looking at me. His lip was busted and his face was cut up and bruised but he looked alright.

"This is your fault.." Michael snarled at me as soon as I bent down to him. "You deserve to get your butt kicked."

"Would you like to beat me up?" I asked, really hoping that Michael would say no.

"I have something better in mind for you." Michael said. "You thought it was tough before. Wait until you see what I have in store.." Michael stood up and began walking away but I followed him. "What are you doing?"

"Following you."

"Why?"

"I want to see what you have in store for me." I said and I stopped walking when I noticed Michael had also stopped.

"Stop being so good!" Michael yelled. "Why are you such a good person!?" I shrugged. "Just be mad at me for once, just be angry, be violent. Stop making me feel guilty!"

"S-Sorry.." I mumbled as I took a step back.

"You're doing it again!" Michael yelled as he pulled on his hair. "You always do it! You look all sad, like a little puppy that someone just left in the rain. I have no choice but to make you go away because I'm not going to let myself break!"

"Are you really trying that hard not to be my friend.." I muttered.

"Luke!" Michael yelled. "Stop!"

"I'm sorry!" I yelled back at Michael. "I just want to be friends with you."

"Why?" Michael groaned. "I'm nothing but mean to you."

"Oh I know."

"They why!?" Michael snapped. "I don't get it. Explain it to me."

"I don't know." I shrugged. I folded my arms and ducked my head down. Only using my eyes to look back up at Michael.

Michael looked me up and down and let out a sigh. "Alright, c'mon."

"What..?" I mumbled.

"We're going to go play video games." Michael said. "And I'm going to try and fix my face!"

"Calm down." I rolled my eyes. "You could use a bit of a tougher look, I think."

"Luke you're treading on really thin ice." Michael turned to me with a glare. "You better watch yourself." I nodded my head and looked off to the side as I continued to walk to Michael's car. Eventually we got there and climbed inside.

"Michael?" I turned to him as he dug around for his keys. He lifted his head up and gestured for me to continue. "How come you're mean to me? You don't understand why I'm nice, but I don't understand why you're mean."

"Luke not now.." Michael groaned.

"Yes now." I muttered. "Is it going to hurt you? I know it's not because you just don't like me, because that's not the case. Why are you mean?"

"I just have a bit of a temper, and you get on my nerves easily." Michael said.

"How? I don't do anything wrong." I said. "And if I am doing something wrong the least you could do is tell me."

"That's just it." Michael said. "You don't do anything wrong. You just sit there and when someone is mean it looks like they've just kicked a puppy and that puppy is you."

"Stop comparing me to a dog." I whined.

"Fine, someone was kicking a kitten." Michael said and I rolled my eyes. "You're just this cute little innocent..thing."

"Oh so I'm cute now?" I smirked.

"Not now, Luke." Michael sighed.

"Sorry." I said. "Continue."

"Anyways," Michael cleared his throat. "You just make me feel super guilty about everything wrong. That I am just screwing up and hurting your feelings and dammit Luke, I don't want to be the bad guy. Even if I'm not even doing anything. And sometimes you just take it. You just let people be mean to you. Why is that?"

"Cause if I wanted to be mean to people I could have Ashton do it for me and feel no guilt." I shrugged and folded my arms. "No I did not tell him to beat you up, but if I asked him to. He would."

"Damn preps.."

"Good thing Calum wasn't there." I shrugged. "Cause he would not hesitate to drive me into the ground."

"Calum was there." Michael looked at me. I raised my eyebrows. "He was in the locker rooms, but he technically was there."

"Calum would not let people just beat you up." I rolled my eyes. "You know what your problem is, Michael?"

"Tell me."

"You don't trust anyone." I said as I pulled the seat belt over my chest. "You think everyone is out to get you and if you aren't hostile towards them at some point that they're going to sneak up and stab you in the back." I turned my head to Michael. "Not everyone in the world is here to hurt you."

"You're just too ignorant to see it." Michael sighed as he started his car. I knew it was pointless to try and convince Michael otherwise, but he seemed dead-set on convincing me that everyone would be out to get me.