16 - Baby Steps

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Michael's POV

I walked towards the fields after school. I was late and practice was almost over but I found myself walking towards the blonde on the bleachers. Today it was fairly cloudy and slightly colder then either of us would've like, not to mention the wind chilled your bones. On any other day I feel as if Luke would have been aware enough to turn and look at me. He was not. He was staring off into the distance, his eyebrows scrunched together in deep thought.

"Hey Luke." I said and when he did not answer me, I only became more concerned. I put a hand on his shoulder, which caused him to jump. "I said hi."

"Oh.." Luke looked me up and down before flashing a smile. "Hi!"

I shook my head slightly before sitting down next to Luke. When I sat down Luke scooted farther away so that we were more then a foot apart. I acted as if nothing happened.

"Do you want to play video games?" I asked and Luke shook his head. "Do you want to play any type of game?"

"What do you mean..?" Luke asked, tilting his head to the side.

"Like..I dunno. We could play 'I Spy'." I shrugged.

Luke smirked. "Alright then, if that makes you happy. You can start."

"Nah you start." I said, Luke nodded and looked around us. He looked down towards the field before turning towards me.

"I spy with my little eye, something gray." Luke smiled.

"The sky." I immediately answered. Luke shook his head. "The cage on their helmets?" Luke shook his head again. "The field posts."

"No."

"Well.." I sighed. "Your eyes?"

"My eyes aren't gray!" Luke replied, as if I had offended him.

"What are you talking about, they're not gray?" I asked as I leaned closer towards Luke's face so I could see them.

"They're not gray." Luke said.

As I looked I could tell that I was wrong. "Oh, they're blue. My bad."

"It's okay." Luke said quietly and it was at this point that I noticed mine and Luke's faces were only a couple inches apart, so that our noses were almost touching.

"Oh I'm a little close.." I mumbled as I leaned backwards. Luke nodded in agreement as both of our faces flushed red and we both turned away from each other.

"So um.." I mumbled as I looked back to Luke. "What was the color..?"

"Gray." Luke said quietly.

I nodded and continued to glance around until Luke knocked his knuckles against the metal bleachers.

"Oh! The bleachers!" I smiled and Luke nodded with a smile of his own. "Man. I suck at this game. Let's play something else."

"I thought you said that you shouldn't give up on something if you aren't good at it." Luke said with a smug grin. I continued to glare at him but he gave a shrug.

"Well - " I began but was cut off by the sound of someone yelling my name. I turned and saw Dallas and Sonya walking towards us.

"Oh great.." I heard Luke mumble as he stood up to walk away.

"Where are you going?" I asked. Luke turned back to me with a sad look across his face.

"I'm not going to sit here and get insulted." Luke sighed.

"Luke sit." I said and he let out a sigh before plopping down on the bench. He looked off to the side though, as if he was trying to hide. Like if he couldn't see them, they couldn't see him.

"Michael, come on." Dallas said as he reached me.

"Why?" I asked.

"We're going to go hang out at Mikki's, she said to see if you could go. Obviously you can." Dallas said.

"What makes you think I can?" I responded.

"All you're doing is watching a practice." Dallas shrugged. "With Luke, but it's not like that changes anyone's mind. Besides, practice is basically over." That was true, the players were in the locker rooms.

But I looked over at Luke and could see the look of distress on his face. I knew that at this point it really did matter if I said something.

"But I'm hanging out with Luke." I said. Dallas looked at me with a smirk.

"So?"

"So I can't just ditch him."

"Why not?" Dallas asked as he walked over to Luke. "It's just Luke."

"Dallas.." Sonya said warningly. "Don't do something stupid. Ashton is coming over." That was also true, Ashton was slowly making his way towards us.

"Luke why don't you just give up already." Dallas sighed. "Stop trying to be a part of us, it's not going to work! We don't want you here!"

"Dallas leave him alone!" I snapped as I stood up. I was slightly shorter then Dallas but I was just as menacing.

"Leave him alone?" Dallas smiled. "What are you doing? Defending precious little blondie now." He turned to Luke. "Luke, stand up for me princess."

Luke didn't budge.

"I said. To stand up." Dallas snarled. Luke stood up this time. "See Michael, he's like a little pet. We don't need an extra mouth to feed."

"He's not a pet." I replied.

"Oh yes he is. Luke does whatever you say." Dallas laughed. "Sit back down Luke." Luke didn't move. "I said, to sit."

"I'm not a dog." Luke replied.

"Sit down." Dallas snarled as he shook his fist at Luke. This time Luke sat down. "Now stand back up." And Luke did. "Now Luke, I want you to leave. And don't come back. You're not friends with us - "

"Dallas stop it!" I snapped and he put a hand up to my mouth.

"We are not friends." Dallas said coldly. "We don't want you around. Do you get that?"

"Michael wants me around. Calum does too. Mikki and Nettie like me!" Luke snapped.

"Watch your tone mutt." Dallas snarled.

"I'm not a dog!" Luke yelled back. I had never seen Luke completely lose his temper, but his face was flushed red. I could not tell if it was embarrassment or anger. "I'm not a dog and even if I was I am certainly not your dog! "

"Really hoping it wasn't going to come to this Luke.." Dallas frowned, shaking his head.

Luke's anger disappeared momentarily. "Come to wha -" And Dallas took a swing. Knocking straight into Luke's jaw and set him winding back. Only to be caught by a fuming Ashton who looked like he was going to beat Dallas's head in.

"Get the hell out of here.." Ashton snarled and a wide eyed Dallas nodded his head slowly. He was afraid of Ashton. But then again. Ashton meant a whole football team.

"C-C'mon Sonya." Dallas said.

"I'm not going with you. You're a pig." Sonya scoffed and folded her arms. Dallas did not say anything. He just left.

"Are you alright Luke?" Ashton asked the blonde who was wide-eyed with shock. As if he had never been hit before.

Although the next words to come out of his mouth made me believe otherwise.

"I didn't move to deal with this again."