8: fight the darkness

Just as the girls broke apart, Lucas and Dustin came back in, Steve a couple steps behind them. They all looked clueless, "What the fuck?!" Dustin exclaimed, breaking the short silence.

"Why would they just.. Run away? It makes no sense!" Lucas agreed.

"Are you sure it wasn't me who just scared them off?" Steve added in mock offence, in an attempt to brighten the conversation a little. The question remained the same though, why would they all just run away together, in the same direction.

They trudged back down the train tracks, Max and Alex still holding hands, neither wanting to drop it. Alex was still in euphoria over the fact they kissed, like actually kissed and it wasn't just in a dream. It almost dulled the pain of her injuries, not much but Max made it better.

"Are you sure that was dart? he was tiny two days ago?" Lucas said, that was a good point, last she saw the slimy thing it was barely bigger than her hands.

"Well, he has molted three times since then," Dustin admitted, Steve looked confused.

"Malted?" Her brother questioned, god he was stupid.

"Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth, its common for loads of reptiles" Alex explained, rolling her eyes.

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max questioned out loud.

"It's gonna be soon, and when he does he'll be fully grown,"

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats!" Steve said, smirking. Did Dart eat a cat?

"wait, a cat!" Alex said, holding back laughter.

"he ate your cat?" Lucas yelled, clearly he likes cats.

"No, what? no-" Dustin stammered.

"What are you talking about? he ate mews!" Steve corrected, clearly enjoying this more than Dustin.

"You kept him, I knew it.." Lucas shouted at Dustin, pointing his finger in accusation.

Alex toned out of their argument and focused on down by the lab, Mike and Will were there, well she thinks they are as that's where the soldiers were from and Will, will probably have to do some experiments or something.

It was hard to locate it at night, most of the buildings looking the same but the Lab was a bit more noticeable, all the lights were on, then off. Then on again, something must be going on inside there, the lights constantly flickering. 

She couldn't see anything inside but there was definitely screeching, like screeching Demogorgon dogs..

"Steve? Come look..." she shouted. He paused and his expression switched to dread when he heard the noise as well. He waved a hand between the arguing Lucas and Dustin, "Shut up, listen" it was now silent except for the screeching, a screeching none of them would forget.

Lucas and Dustin immediately went in the direction of the sound, Steve on their tail and Alex beside him. 

"Are you kidding? Alex? why are we going towards the sound... this is the reason people die in horror movies - shit!" Max called behind them, running down the slope to catch up with the group. Surely she was less likely to die in a group, strength in numbers and all that.