10: Compound sentences

Alex woke up a lot better, she didn't feel as much pain anymore. She looked up to Max, who's lap she was still using as a pillow, their hands still entwined. She squeezed Max's hand a little, making Max look down to her.

"Hey looser," Alex spoke, her voice was still hoarse from all the screaming but she didn't care about that, she wasn't even sure if she was gonna be alive a few hours ago so anything's better.

Max let out a relieved sigh and laugh before shuffling across so Alex could sit up and wasn't led down. Alex waited no time in hugging the girl, not caring about all the pain the contact was causing her, she needed that, contact, she was alive and well.

"You alright?" Max asks, pulling away from the hug to look at her face. It was still a bit bloody but it looked better than it had earlier, colour had returned to her cheeks and she was smiling and not screaming out in pain.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Alex said, pulling her jumper over her head, "just really hot." there it was again, everyone else is in jumpers and coats but Alex was boiling, sufficing fine in just a t-shirt

Max held back a gasp at the girls stomach, sure it was covered in bandages and gauze but she could still make out a faint abs line. She hadn't been too focused on that earlier, but now, now Alex was fine it made her sweat a little.

"Where is everyone?" Alex questioned, noticing her and Max are the only people in the room. 

Max stood up and extended her hand, "I'll take you to them," she said, helping Alex to her feet.

"Wait," Alex said, holding Max's hand in place, "If we are the only ones here," she leant in close and connected their lips again, softly moving her mouth this time to make the action more meaningful and then pulled back with a smirk and dragged Max behind her, "C'mon Mayfield, what Cat got your tongue?" she mocked.

Max caught up to her confused as to how someone who almost died a matter of hours ago had so much energy and was so happy. She enjoyed it though, the feel of Alex's lips on her own and the way she felt like there was electricity flowing between them.

Max leads her into the kitchen, Alex behind her still beaming about what she just did. Everyone turned to face them as they came in, Steve ran over first and wrapped his arms around the girl, "Oh thank god, i was scared you'd gone into a coma or something!" he exclaimed, Alex shook her head, pretending to be disappointed.

Mike was next, hugging the girl tightly, making them both laugh. "I was for sure you would be out for hours!" he exclaimed, slightly jealous that the two girls were holding hands. "Just saying, you can keep the sweater, i don't want your blood," he said cringing, Alex laughed and slid into the seat beside him, Max occupying the one on the other side of her.

Everyone was just surprised Alex was up and walking with no problems, let alone why she had so much energy. Steve and Mike had an idea though, she was probably used to a lot of pain before having to be up and fine again.

No-one really spoke for a while, an awkward silence settling between them. Mike stood up from his seat abruptly and walked over to the brain teasers discarded on the couch from the previous day. It was still hard to process that the man who had left them there was now dead, his mauled body laid to waste in Hawkins lab.

"Did you guys know Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" Mike asks them as he walks back over to the table with one in hand.